Model Bikini Blitz: A Model’s Guide to Body Brushing

If I could only choose one body-improving trick to impart, then it would have to be, without a doubt, Body Brushing. I have been body brushing for over ten years; I started it way before I had even considered being a model, and I have done it ever since. I totally believe in it; it improves the circulation and is a little bit of a workout in itself! You need to spend a few minutes doing this every day – that’s all! Do it when you’re waiting for the shower to heat up, or the bath to run, or your Veet to take effect, or your face mask to work! Apart from the initial outlay (a brush!), it’s free. Can anti-cellulite treatments GET any better than this?

I shall now tell you how I know this works: I stopped brushing for a year or so, when I was first modelling and a bit ‘woo-hoo!’ excitable. Body brushing was the last thing on my mind! But bloody hell, did my thighs go dimply! Back to religiously brushing, and the dimples disappeared. I’m not exaggerating about this! It’s all in the stimulation of the skin, flushing out toxins, getting sluggish circulation on the move. Watch my video for a demonstration of the ultimate cellulite killer!

(A word about brushes: bristles are short, very firm, tightly packed, preferably cactus. The best that I have found is Elemis’s Skin Brush, which you can pick up on the internet for around £18. It’s worth paying the extra – mine has lasted seven years so far, and still looks like new!)

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. July 5, 2010 / 7:17 pm

So glad I spotted this post! I did research on Body Brushing about a year ago and never got around to it! Now is the time to start! Thank you for the motivation!! x

• Ruth Crilly
      July 5, 2010 / 9:56 pm

No problem! x

2. July 6, 2010 / 2:07 pm

3. July 7, 2010 / 10:11 pm

Thanks for this, I bought a body brush ages ago but I haven’t used it more than a handful of times because I didn’t have a clue what I was doing!

4. Rachel
    February 4, 2011 / 4:43 am

I just started using the Elemis brush this week just like how you demonstrate in the video… my question is how scratchy is it suppose to feel at first? The bristles are pretty stiff and even when I use very gentle pressure, it still sort of feels quite rough on my skin. It doesn’t leave any marks afterwards and I’m not experiencing any discomfort post brushing. Is there a breaking in period between the brush and each person’s skin? Any help and tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• February 4, 2011 / 11:35 am

Yes, it should feel prickly and actually a little uncomfortable, but not painful! It’s basically ‘whisking up’ your circulation. I’ve had my body brushed as part of spa treatments and was wincing as it was really quite rough, but you don’t need to go that far! You should just be able to feel your skin getting a bit warm and fuzzy! Firm but gentle, long strokes. Hope this helps!

5. Rachel
    February 4, 2011 / 4:13 pm

Thank you Ruth! I brushed before the shower this morning and I think my skin felt smoother when I soaped up.

6. Rachel
    February 21, 2011 / 8:08 pm

Hi Ruth! I’m so happy with my elemis brush that I thought I’d give you a quick update!

I have been brushing daily since purchasing the brush and my skin has never been smoother. Evah. I have fairly noticeable hair follicles on my legs and thighs which can feel and look bumpy like chicken skin at times. Sorry for the yucky visual there. The daily brushings have smoothed these areas completely! My entire body feels silky smooth and I have noticed my body lotion is absorbing much better since I started brushing.

BIG THANKS! xx

• February 21, 2011 / 10:52 pm

Good good! Skin brushing is GENIUS!

7. Tora
    April 29, 2011 / 8:03 pm

This post inspired me so much I went and ordered an Elemis brush! And today, at last it has arrived! Wheee!! The post office is having fun at my expense though, and isn’t open, but tomorrow! Tomorrow I will brush like I’ve never
    brushed before! (Which I haven’t…)

Thank you so much! I am so inspired!

8. Pingback: >elemis body brush – selülit için bir umut, vücut fırçalama | BOYA KÜPÜ >elemis body brush – selülit için bir umut, vücut fırçalama | bir kozmetik blogu. yazılar ve fotoğraflar izinsiz kullanılamaz. iletişim: [email protected]
  9. Sihouette
    July 23, 2012 / 12:22 pm

Dear Ruth,
    so far I have benefitted so much from a lot of your beauty tips, and the body brushing tip is one of them! Thanks for that!
    I got the Elemis body brush maybe half a year ago, and I can say: That’s a really good quality product! I compared it afterwards with some body brushes that I saw at drugstores, but these had not the same bristle quality! So happy I got a really good one on first (and last!) buy! It has its place (stored in its dustbag) in my bathroom since then!
    I brush my skin every now and then, maybe 2-3 times a week. It’s a really good wake up kick in the morning, especially because my blood pressure tends to be low. The brushing really kickstarts the blood flow throughout the body and wakes me up instantly!
    When I saw your video today again, I saw that I do the brushing a little differently, it takes me a bit longer for one thorough stroke. I start at the outside of the leg, then the inside, then fill the rest up brushing. The order of working up the body is the same.
    Also it’s not a problem to follow a body peeling with gloves when my skin needs it, the brushing still is very gently. Hope this also helps some others who have not decided yet wether they should get a brush or not. Do it! Your skin will be very smooth and firm! It works!
    Have a lovely week,
    Sihouette

• Ruth
      July 23, 2012 / 4:10 pm

Thanks for those tips! xx

10. Kat
    July 31, 2012 / 3:19 pm

Hi Ruth! I began brushing with the elemis brush after reading your post and I love it. However, I am wondering the best way to wash the brush? Is once a week with baby shampoo enough? I’ve also heard spritzing with tea tree oil/water mixture is good for keeping bacteria at bay? Thanks!

• Ruth
      August 1, 2012 / 12:29 pm

Both of those are good ideas! I just give mine a good dusting through, but I suppose once in a while it gets a wash! Lol.

11. Jessica Martinez
    August 22, 2012 / 9:32 am

Hi Ruth!

I was wondering if you have tried face brushing? Do you know if it is any good for the skin of your face?

• Ruth
      August 22, 2012 / 9:38 am

Hmmm. Never tried this! There is the Clarisonic of course, which is a giant brush for the face, but it can be a little harsh for some! x

12. SweaterFreak
    March 23, 2013 / 8:46 pm

I started body brushing and did it for 4 months in attempts to reduce the dimples which i have been “blessed” with despite being thin. I haven’t seen any results yet….how long should it be before I see results?

13. April 3, 2013 / 10:44 pm

Hey Ruth, how long do you brush? I got my brush today and I used it right before getting into the shower and I was asking myself if 5 minutes are already enough? I think I already have better skin, my thighs always looks like I have goose bumps, they only look nice when I´m tanned. I noticed a difference since I´m using the Soap and Glory´s Sit Tight (I saw you use The Firminator, but I can´t find it anywhere, so I ordered the one they distribute here in Germany) so that made my skin look so much better and I´m only using it religiously for more than a week, can you believe it? I´m so grateful for all your tips, I already ordered so many things online since I saw one of your videos posted by Pixiewoo on facebook a couple of weeks ago. You can´t even imagine how happy I am that you have combinational skin (it´s nothing to be thankful for!) but you know what I mean. Anyway thank you so much for posting all those products, I´m finally excited to try out new skin care products and to see that they actually work.

14. Carrie Lakomski-Nelson
    May 26, 2013 / 5:27 pm

Thanks so much for the demo. This is all new to me and I had no clue what to do :)

15. Mika
    June 30, 2013 / 11:43 am

What direction/motion is best for the back? X

16. Kay
    July 14, 2013 / 8:24 am

Hi Ruth!

The body brushing sounds great and I’d love to have a simple treatment for my cellulite. I’m just wondering if I can use the brush on the insides of my thighs. I’ve had stretchmarks there since I was about thirteen and now, seven years later, they are still there (probably won’t go away, ever).
    Could brushing make them any worse? I wouldn’t want to risk that. Thanks for your help!

PS: You’re doing a great job! Love your posts and videos! :-)

17. Jessica
    July 7, 2014 / 1:19 pm

Hello, Ruth. I came across your website and enjoyed it so much I started reading through some of your archives. I saw this post and it stood out to me because I have always been so self-conscious about my dimpled thighs. I bought a body brush and just a few weeks into it I can already see a difference. Thank you so much for this post! It has really helped my body confidence :)

• July 7, 2014 / 4:01 pm

Oh great! I’m so glad! Good to get moving too, make sure you do some exercise, even fast walking, every day. xx

18. maryann
    July 22, 2014 / 6:31 pm

I ran across this post a few weeks ago just browsing around. I ordered the elemis brush on amazon and started brushing my thighs because I get cellulite there. I can’t do it dry. It’s too hard for my sensitive skin, but in the shower I can stand it. This really works! I’ve been doing it for two weeks and I am starting to see a difference! Nice side effect, it also prevents ingrown hairs.

19. Peter
    November 7, 2016 / 7:41 pm

It is so wonderful to read all the comments about body brushing. I’ve been body brushing for ten years now and whenever I talk to any one about it I get some right funny looks. It is a great way to improve circulation, get energised and to feel better. I would recommend it to everyone as it is beneficial in so many ways. Not so keen on reducing my dimples though as they light up my smile : )