Model Skincare Routine: Goodnight Oily Skin!

Posted · 9 Comments

The video below shows how I have been dealing with oily skin over the last couple of weeks. I tend to get oiliness for one week of the month – more if I have been testing a load of rich, heavy products – and I try to adapt my skincare regime to deal with the problem swiftly but gently. If I ignore the problem and continue to use my normal products (especially Rose-based creams!) then you can guarantee that I’ll start getting spots.

The reason that there is a gigantic picture of a Clinique moisturiser to the left of these words is that this is a moisturiser that I have used religiously for years during my ‘times of oil’. There are loads of products mentioned in the video below, but it is the Clinique Super Rescue (used to be Continuous Rescue) that has been with me throughout most of my years as a model. So there.

The other products, all of equal importance, are credited throughout the video – along with their prices, but as a little summary for those without speakers (or eyes), I used: Talika Gentle Eye Cleanser, £14; Decleor Cleanisng Gel, £21; l’Occitane Toning Cider, £13.50; Energys Exquisite Eyes, £10.70; Madara Deep Moisture Gel, £23; and, of course, Clinique’s Super Rescue for Combination Oily to Oily Skin, £34.

One little point about the video that I must make: I don’t rinse the Decleor Gel off, and you should. I mean, you don’t have to, and I didn’t because  a) I was filming,  b) it doesn’t feel as though it needs rinsing off and  c) I sometimes have a weird ‘thing’ about getting my face wet. But if you are a stickler for instructions, rinse the Decleor off!

9 Responses to "Model Skincare Routine: Goodnight Oily Skin!"
  1. Lauren says:

OK, thank you! :0) X

2. Lauren says:

Hi Ruth, I have just started watching your videos and I think they’re amazing :0) This one on oily skin is very helpful! I actually bought some of Clinique’s Super Rescue for Combination Oily to Oily Skin a few months back and it only cost me £9! When I tested it, the product came out a sort of cream / beige colour. I was wondering if you could please tell me whether this is normal? For some reason, I was expecting it to be white and I’m not sure whether I trust it since the price was so low! I can’t quite make out the colour of it in your video. Thank you in advance! X

3. Natalie says:

Exactly – i bit the bullet and decided to try it because other things that you have recommended have been excellent, and I’d also recently heard that it’s not as simple as taking a product as many individual ingredients, but as a whole, because when mixed you can only really appreciate it’s effects from trying. I will be staying away from ceretyl alcohol in future. I know that wheat germ oil clogs my pores very deeply, but I’ve never before had a rash like this. I had only researched the comedogenic levels of. the ingredients in the product and saw that the alcohol could potentially be a problem. Thanks for getting back to me. It’s good to know that our skins haven’t reacted the same to this for reference with your future reviews. I’ll still read- you make me smile and let me know of products i may not have otherwise come across. Thank- you.

4. Natalie says:

Hi Ruth, i know this isn’t one of your more recent posts, but if you would get back to me on this, it would be really helpful. I’ve gotten a sample of the super rescue night anti – oxidant moisturiser for combination to oily skin. I had suspected that the ceretyl alcohol would give me spots and irritate my skin, hence the late sampling, and that’s exactly what’s happened. After 2 nights of using it, and one morning, my skin is very red, rough and coming out in rash-like pimpes. Nothing else I’ve used is new in my skin care regime. My questions are: do you find this moisturiser at all irritating, and also, do you think that by using so many different products, mixing and matching, it enables you to correct the problems caused by some cosmetics with others, without using a product to the extent consecutively that you suffer the cons as much as relying on the same skin regime every day? Would really appreciate what you think on the this. For the reference, my skin is combination to oily, and the red rash- like symptoms have come up all over, especially on my chin and forehead. Thank- you.

• admin says:

I’ve never had any reaction to this – I’m confused as to why you tested it out if you suspected it would irritate you? Or did you hope that it wouldn’t irritate this time? x
      That’s a very good point about the mixing and matching – perhaps sometimes one cancels out the other, but I do give things quite a long test. I have a staple set of products that I know very well, and I usually keep to those as a ‘control’ and just change one or two products at a time. The Super Rescue is one of my long-standing favourite moisturisers, I have used it for years and years, never a rash like you describe. Products will always react in different ways to different people – I’d be interested to know if anyone else has had a reaction from this! x

5. DINKY says:

Great video, I just moved to Dubai so I’m expecting my skin to get a bit greasy in the heat. Looking forward to seeing more of these! Dinky x

6. Daisy says:

Love this video idea! I have oily/combo skin so this moisturiser is a great recommendation x

7. Chrissy says:

Loved this! Very helpful. I’ve been looking for a new moisturiser for a while now but I’ve been so scared of trying anything new as my skin is proned to break outs.
    Thanks!