Deborah Lippmann – Happy Birthday!

Posted · 6 Comments

Happy Boxing Day! Did you all have a lovely Christmas Day? Stuffed full of food and drink? I hope so! A nice and jolly beauty post for you today! That’s why there are so many exclamation marks!

How ridiculously fun and cheerful is Deborah Lippmann’s polish, “Happy Birthday”? It’s a clear varnish packed full of miniscule metallic confetti and it looks great layered over a coloured polish or on its own for a slightly ‘off the wall’ look. A few coats painted onto a clean nail makes it look as though you’ve just been helping out in a Primary school art class, but I think that it’s quite a sweet effect! (Enough with the exclamation marks yet?)

When applying the polish, you need to move the confetti pieces about on the nail to make sure that they don’t all end up near the tip where the brush left off. After a few coats, any sparse patches are filled in, but it takes a little bit of effort to get the glittery bits in some kind of sensible order! This is a brilliant festive polish – it feels so much less contrived than a perfect, shimmery or glittery nail, and it’s actually much less difficult to get a good effect. It doesn’t look terrible if it starts to chip, and it’s almost as foolproof to apply as plain, clear varnish!

A nice one for the festive season, this costs £14 and is available at House of Fraser Apothecaries.

6 Responses to "Deborah Lippmann – Happy Birthday!"
  1. Carissa says:

I too have huge problems with glittery nail polish. It looks great for about 2 days and then *record scratch* it all peels off. And then to avoid actually REMOVING it with a remover and cotton ball, I just rip it all off my nails. Not smart.

But this DL does look great.

PS. I love ZOYA.

2. Kirsty Forsberg says:

Happy Holidays everyone! This looks like a gloriously fantastic sparkly bottle of fun and my magpie eyes are transfixed by it’s colours… However I am not a big fan of all the chemicals that reside in most nail varnishes….so hence have become a big fan of Zoya nail polish (available in the UK on ebay/Amazon/ Lucy Rose) see http://www.zoya.com/ It was developed by a US nail salon owner who wanted a friendly solution for her nails whilst pregnant without compromising on colour or formula. They are not quite as long wearing as general polishes, I grant you but the colour palette goes beyond infinity, seriously you name it, they do it, the range is just amazing. I am currently wearing ‘Indigo’ the darkest midnight blue with tiny sparkles that looks just like the night sky over the Arizona desert (or any such place without light pollution). I would love to know what others think of this product, and maybe Ruth you would be up for a bit of testing ?

x Kirsty

3. thumbalins says:

i would like to see pictures of how it applies on the nails, it looks very nice!

4. Anna D says:

Bad with visualizing. Can you put them on and take a picture?! HO HO HO!

5. thebristolbeautyblog says:

I’m lusting over these polishes. I’ve yet to find them, despite trips to 2 HoFs. I wish they’d get some stock in! xx

6. Jamie A says:

Glitter nail polish just never seems to last – it always chips. I think I need a good thick top coat. Any suggestions? Currently using Orly. BTW- long time reader, first time commenter. Love your blog!

Comments are closed.