Garnier Anti-Dark Circles 2-in-1 Tinted Roll-On

Posted · 14 Comments

I really like this product a lot, despite the fact that the general idea behind it is so fundamentally flawed as to be almost insane. The idea is – and stay with me here – that the  applicator dispenses a moisturising eye cream using a cooling metal roller ball, which will refresh and hydrate tired eyes. Tick. Affirmative – the formula/ball combination is excellent, very cooling and soothing. Nice. Now for the odd and slightly deranged bit – the cream is tinted. And it’s not a slight wishy-washy ‘hint of tint’, it’s a proper concealer! I mean, it wouldn’t cover circles that look like bruises, or broken veins, or spots, but it’s a light, easily blendable formula in a lovely suit-all shade.

Where’s the insane, deranged bit, I hear you ask? Well. Let’s have a look at this idea properly. One the one hand, you have a cooling roller ball that dispenses cream, and the user is undoubtedly going to want to roll that metal ball over the entire undereye. (That’s the point, isn’t is? To roll it back and forth in a therapeutic way? Banish those bags?) On the other hand, you have a cream being dispensed that is to all intents and purposes a concealer. And how do we apply concealer, people? Do we apply a thick layer to the entire undereye, or do we dot and pat, dot and pat, cautiously and carefully, building up coverage bit by bit? (Clue: it’s the second one.)

Can you see what I’m getting at here? It’s a 2-in-1 product that should never be a 2-in-1 product. Because you either roll the ball all over and end up with a mass of concealer, or you dispense the right amount of concealer  and don’t get the full, cooling roller-ball effect. As far as ideas go, it’s quite spectacularly mad.

Mad, but great. I have used this at least three or four times a week since Christmas and I just find it really enjoyable! Some days I throw caution to the wind and sit there rolling away, dispensing what looks like litres of concealer onto my face just so I can have the cool roller-ball effect. I have since found out that you can get an untinted version, which could be great for days when I just want to roll, but I would miss the excellent concealer, I think. I must remember to put this 2-in-1 in one of my videos so that you can see exactly what I mean about the bonkers design, but also marvel at the cooling tinted cream. This is such a surprise product for me – I wanted so badly to hate it for its stupidity, but it won me over.

Garnier’s Tinted Roll-On is £10.20 from Boots.

14 Responses to "Garnier Anti-Dark Circles 2-in-1 Tinted Roll-On"
  1. Kate says:

Hmm, have been wondering about trying this but was also rather put off by the concealer/eye cream combo. Always been rather sceptical about rolly things, but the green non-tinted one sounds like the soothing, cooling way forward.

2. Lizzie says:

As an older (not that much) user, I didn’t like this. The amount of concealer it puts out is huge and it sits in every little (and I mean little . . .okay, mebbes a bit big) line that you have. Might go for the green

• Ruth Crilly says:

Oh, bummer! I don’t really have any lines underneath my eyes where it goes, so didn’t notice anything untoward going on, but I shall take your word for it! The green is lovely and cooling – as is Clinique’s eye roller. Mmmm.

3. Deborah Mcleod says:

Hi there..just wondering if you have seen/ tried the new Avon Solutions Vibes undereye roll-on. It vibrates to help the product’s absorption into the skin and it is really cooling and soothing. No tint in it (though they may release a tinted one at some point in the future)…it’s a great product and a little cheaper than the Garnier one. Worth a try!

4. Tabvi says:

that’s exactly what i thought when i tried it. the un-tinted one leaves a film though if u roll it back and forth loads i remember because my bf was obsessed with it lol

5. ella says:

litres of concealer! haha, was cackling away reading that post. i must say the ‘tinted’ thing really put me off when they came out with it, because why would you want your concealer to be tinted? its there to CONCEAL. tinted moisturiser is there to be tinted. yeah. anyway i might try the green non tinted one and stick to my old faithful double wear on top. hilarious review though! you must do a demo! x

6. Becky says:

Oh please do a video! – I wanted to get this but it just seemed like so much concealer I thought I’d look plastered in the stuff. Also I wonder how hygienic it is to keep applying the roller bit to the skin, as it can’t really be cleaned can it?

• Ruth Crilly says:

I think it wouldn’t be too bad. You’re putting it onto cleansed skin and there are probably things in the formula that stop bacteria from breeding… I say ‘probably’ because I have no idea whether this is actually true! Ha. Very good point, Becky!

7. Anna D says:

ooooooo.. i have the one sans the concealer bit.. and it actually worked much better.. i feel it working better than my clinique’s all about eyes cream!!! for a concealer, i would go for a separate item. ur right, its odd..
    i would have a mass of concealer on my eye! *horrified*

8. LittleRus says:

Hi Ruth,
    the final “I wanted so badly to hate it” made me laugh because this describes exactly how I feel towards some cosmetics/makeup delights. :) Well, if you say it’s good, I will have to have a second look at it…
    Thanks for the review – fabulous as always!
    x

9. Name says:

I have it, and I totally agree about the amount dispensed with rolling. But actually this is a rather mess free packaging if you forget about the massagin effect :)

10. SummerBabe says:

Ruth, how are the ingredients? Does it contain alcohol and parabens? Thanks!

Comments are closed.