i wanted to see whether or not i could edit my website from my kindle 3g and i can. i am in fact in the middle of a bavarian wilderness and i cant even get internet on my iphone. but im editing on a kindle. sllow and tedious but actually quite amazing. it has connectd to the kindles own cloud network and thats free unlike if i used my phone. impressive. this little device is in no way cut out for internet use but for emergencies its perfectly usable. just one more reason for me to love my kindle. am constantly impressed. butons are rubbish and its too much hassle to use any punctuation except the full stop but it does the job and doesnt need a contract or a dongle or some expensive monthly imternet deal. i love you kindle.

(Please note that the image was added at a later date from my Mac, not from the Kindle. I could easily have published straight from the Kindle, but I like things to look nice. Click HERE to see the Kindle on Amazon.)

Share →

24 Responses to where can i use my kindle?

1. JemmaR says:

Now do I download Black Beauty? Or will it make me feel guilty for every time I’ve hesitantly sat myself down on a pony’s back?

2. JemmaR says:

And the free books Sophie!

Although they are public domain and you could painstakingly read them on a laptop if you so choose.

3. Sophie says:

I have been debating on getting a kindle but i really cannot make up my mind. When you buy a book on the kindle is it cheaper than buying an actual book?

4. Amanda says:

Hi i have been reading all the comments and keep hearing you talk about loving the kindle, can you use it for the internet? Or is it mainly for downloading books? Also can you put things like i tunes or photographs on it aswel?

X

• Ruth Crilly says:

@Amanda no, it’s primary use is for reading. It’s not a computer, but it stores up to 3500 books and it’s not backlit like an ipod/ipad/laptop so it doesn’t hurt your eyes to read for long periods of time. x

5. JemmaR says:

I cheated and got the Amazon Kindle app on my phone. And THEN I discovered all the free books you can download with it – yay! Hullo Crime and Punishment – please don’t be dull.

Libraries are almost certainly doomed. :-(

6. Debbie says:

@Sophie, I’ve had that problem too but mainly when I try to log into hotmail or facebook. It worked fine on one or two occasions but then just seemed to get a bit temperamental! It usually works quite well for google-ing things though.

7. Vera says:

Eve, also be aware that Kindle’s internet only works in some countries. I have a friend who registered her kindle with a Portuguese address and she couldn’t have access to internet. Then she found out about that issue and once she registered with an american address (as part of her family lives in Texas) she managed to get it.
    She never mentioned anything about buying books. Her native language is both english and portuguese, so I think that ordering books only from the american amazon doesn’t bother her all that much.

8. Sophie says:

Hi Ruth, I too am completely in love with my kindle….however whenever I attempt to use the internet it freezes up for a good 5 mins so haven’t managed to use it succesfully yet. I thought this was a general kindle problem but maybe its just mine!! Shall have to look into it….

9. Eve says:

Just came back and saw all the suggestions provided! Thanks everybody! :) Your site is like a little forum too x

10. b says:

Get the iPad instead! You can do it all!

11. Elly says:

I bought my kindle because of ur previous post about it! Been trying to decide for sooo long, and i ordered it straight away after reading ur comments on it. And i havent had a single regret yet :D

@Eve: Theres ways of going around that :p

12. Pearlly says:

hey ruth, i’m not sure if it’s just me but your website doesn’t load properly on chrome and firefox on my macbook pro (leopard). it’s fine on safari though. what happens is that the pictures on the sidebar and on the stockist page don’t show up. any ideas?

13. Emilyjane says:

I live in Bavaria and mine was bought and registered in the USA so I can only buy American books from amazon.com for it. Better than nothing but I sometimes wish I could buy books from the UK too. I don’t know but could that work for Singapore?

14. Jamie says:

Eve – I have family in Singapore and was wondering about this very issue. I found this blog: http://parkablogs.com/content/guide-buying-amazon-kindle-singapore. Seems like Kindles aren’t shipped to Singapore, but if you have friends/family in US or UK, maybe you can get around that. As far as buying the books from Singapore, looks like using Amazon gift certificates is the easiest way to go.

15. Stine says:

AHA! Now I understand, I was wondering why you didn’t use any Capital letters. Has she gone mad i thought. :)

16. Eve says:

Yeah just checked and got disappointed x The first moment it’s supported here I’m gonna run to sell off all these books of mine and order a Kindle strightaway! :)

17. Eve says:

*dust that accumulates. I mean! x

18. Eve says:

I want a Kindle so bad, especially after so much gushing from you too. I am an avid reader, can just get absorbed in a bok for hours and hours, and have been building up my collection over the years. There’s just something that is so satisfying about seeing a beautiful library collection of books, do I sound like a nerd? x But I get SO frustrated with the dist that accumulates on the shelves, to the point that I’m seriously contemplating about selling them all off. A kindle would be the best alternative possibility, but I’ve heard something about how you can only buy the books from Amazon UK and US. Seems like it’s not supported in Singapore! :/

I feel like I’ve just told you my personal life story haha, this is really long xx

• Ruth Crilly says:

@Eve not at all, I like these little story comments people leave! xx Shame you can’t download the books – are you sure? maybe check that out before getting disappointed! I love seeing my library spread out too, but there are very few books I’ll read twice so in a way it’s a total waste of space! x

19. Amy says:

Awesome! I have always wondered if this version could go on to other websites other than for downloading books. Good to know. Thanks!