Mack’s ‘Dreamgirl’ Earplugs

Posted · 36 Comments

Mack's 'Dreamgirl' EarplugsSay hello to the most noise-intolerant person on the planet: ME. I actually have a proper, verging-on-ridiculous problem with noise that other people make. Obviously I’m OK with my own noise – if I’m watching TV or stomping about, then that’s fine, but everyone else must observe my Noise Rules. Ha! These include: no loud television, no loud radio, no loud sneezing, no loud phone-chatting and no loud SNORING! (Yes, I know that I must be an absolute delight to live with…)

It goes without saying that the man of the house fails to live by the Noise Rules. It sometimes even seems as though he deliberately breaks them to make a point – but surely he wouldn’t do that?

You can probably guess that I spend much of my time (waking and sleeping) wearing earplugs. It’s the only way I stay sane – if you have a hangup about sound that’s as serious as mine, you need to take steps to seal yourself off from the world! (Note: when I’m not working or trying to think, or sleep, or relax in the bath, I LOVE to make lots of noise. Usually wine is involved.) I’ve tried out dozens of different earplug types and brands but none so far have been as comfy as the Mack’s Dreamgirl. It has been specially designed for ‘ladies’ who apparently have smaller ear canals. I have to say, the standard-fit earplugs do sometimes give me incredible ear-ache, which kind of defies the point of wearing them in the first place! The Dreamgirl is perfect. Bonus feature: designed to BLOCK SNORING! Can these earplugs get any better? Mmmm….they’re pink… They’re cheap… The packet looks like something from a 1950’s American drugstore…

I realise that 99% of you are now bored to tears – sorry about that. It’s just I have been meaning to write about earplugs for some time (lucky you!) and I decided that today was the day. Perhaps some of you have the same problem – with noise, with small ‘ear canals’, with snoring. Consider your problems solved!

I got mine from the Snorestore for £7.99 (10 pairs) but if you Google there are loads of deals!

36 Responses to "Mack’s ‘Dreamgirl’ Earplugs"
  1. emjay30 says:

I bought a large pack of these with a cute keyring to keep a pair handy – love the colour – you can always find them when you drop them on the floor! I have to say I am not altogether sold. Dissapointingly I can only get them to fit properly on an intermittent basis. When they do go in properly they keep out ALL noise – husband and I were just shouting at each other laughing our heads off!!! BUT they hurt my ears when I lay on my side so ended up having to pull them out slightly – does anyone else suffer this or do I have short ear canals? Also I think you can only get one good wear out of them (? due to moisture in air?) beacause then they dont seem to hold the compacted shape when rolled, thereby making it virtually impossible to get into said small ear canals! FRUSTRATING! But an absolute must on any camping trip to block out the noise of next tents noisy sex – yuk!

2. Jeyda says:

I normally have a noise rule when i’m flying and when a child decides to test their lungs by screaming bloody murder its when i ask for a whiskey so thanks for this post i’ll defiantly give these a go! :P

3. Lise says:

I am the exact opposite! I sleep through anything and I have to set three alarm clocks, one of which I have to hide in a different place every night, just to make sure I wake up in the morning. I think that when I would wear ear plugs I would wake up at 2pm on a work day. I never listen to i-pods or MP3 players either, just because I like to hear what’s happening around me. And I still don’t hear people greet me or ask for the time.

4. Bobbie says:

Ruth, please let me know what you think after you’ve tried the British Snoring Association’s earplugs. If you still think Mack’s ‘Dreamgirl’ Earplugs are better, will definitely buy them as I’ve so many earplugs now that I think they’re enough for the rest of the year.

• admin says:

@Bobbie I will do, although I have just bought SO many to try that I won’t be getting around to the Snoring Association ones for a long time yet! x

5. Tammy says:

Mack is my sleep daddy! I have used his plugs peacefully for 2 years. $5 at Walmart .

6. JemmaR says:

Ooh yay! I work nights so ear plugs and an attractive eye mask are a must. I’ve tried quite a few (wax are the worst – are they supposed to break into tiny pieces as you’re warming/rolling them to fit your ear?).

Will definitely be testing these babies out. Thanks!

• admin says:

@Jemma – no, they should never break up. I hate the wax ones! If foam comes apart, don’t use it, throw it away! xx

7. leidand says:

I recently purchased an earplug sample pack from Snorestore and these dreamgirl ones are easily the best ones for me as I also seem to get ear- and headaches from the bigger earplugs. I used to be able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat but I think it’s the old age (and my partner’s snoring) that keeps me awake for ages before I dose off.

8. Olivia says:

I think l may just have to invest in some of these! The boyfriend snores and talks in his sleep making it impossible for me!

• Ruth Crilly says:

@Olivia I totally feel for you. Really. Try these if you get sore ears with the standard ones – I’m using them all the time now! xx

9. Smee says:

Ooh, do these really work? I’m part of the 1% that wasn’t bored to tears, as I am just as noise-phobic. I wear earplugs at work, as I am surrounded by coughers, sniffers, tappers and incessant chatterers. Grrrr. My boyfriend is also the worst snorer I’ve ever encountered. It’s got to the point where we sleep in separate rooms, which isn’t very romantic, but it saves me from wanting to smother him with a pillow during the night…
    I usually use silicone earplugs, which are pretty good, but like most earplugs, they shift in my ears during the night and I wake up at the slightest noise. Also, I have a problem with losing them, as I find my ears mysteriously empty in the morning on a regular basis. Odd.

10. Bobbie says:

Have you tried British Snoring Associations’ earplugs? They’re magnificent as well. They don’t completely block all the snoring noise but enough to let you go to sleep. It’s soft and very comfortable as well.

11. Coco says:

I’m slightly too paranoid to put earplugs at night. I HAVE to hear every single noise at night, because as stupid as it sounds, I just don’t trust the thieves. I live in a family-friendly neighborhood but we had a couple of thieves riding around. Oh paranoia, thou art a heartless bitch!

• Ruth Crilly says:

@Coco I think these ones are supposed to block snoring but nothing else… How the hell they do that I have no idea, but might be worth a try! xx

12. Sami says:

I have this thing where I can’t sleep unless there’s complete silence, which isn’t so great when you live with people that think shouting and talking are the same thing so have found earplugs extremely useful for blocking them out! xx

13. Heather Does Make Up says:

I need to check these out! I’m completely intolerant to noise too especially snoring!

14. Sandy says:

Yes they are really incredibly useful! I use them together with Mack’s sleep mask and now, I can drop dead asleep anytime anywhere! You probably should try their sleep mask too! They are contoured so that the eye makeup would not get smudged. But then again… my boyfriend has commented that I look like I’m sleeping with a bra over my eyes lol :P

15. Emily says:

This has made my day, I can’t sleep with any noise, especially snoring! I thought I was the only one who religiously wore earplugs. Will definitely be purchasing, thanks Ruth!

16. Sarah says:

I am EXACTLY the same as you Ruth!! I’m quite relieved to hear that someone else has the same attitude to noise as I do. For me, my biggest dislike is loud music (and of course I married a man who loves booming West African music!!). I get very emotional when I can hear noise at night as I’m trying to sleep – even little things like loud raindrops on metal, heavy breathing, laptop whirring all infuriate me and completely prevent me from nodding off.

I found my salvation in ear plugs! I now sleep with ear plugs every single night and they have 100% revolutionized how well I sleep. I use silicon ones – no others work for me despite trying foam, wax and plastic. My favourites are called Bioears Soft Silicone ear plugs, £4.99 for 3 pairs from Boots. They go over the ear canal rather than in it, are extremely comfortable, don’t come out easily, and block out noise amazingly!

17. Vickie says:

I share your pain. My upstairs neighbour stomps on my bedroom ceiling all day and night (oh how I wish I had bought a house!!) so I have had to learn to sleep in earplugs. I wake up during the night and have to push them back in, the joys! I will give these ones a go as maybe they will stay in my ears all night :)

18. Ida says:

I use earplugs regularly. I’m a poor and stressed med student who needs her peace and quiet in the study hall, or if it’s closed, at home. They’re brilliant for written exams as well. Sometimes I even ride the bus home still with my earplugs in. It’s pure bliss. And I get ear-aches too because of my tiny little meatus acusticus externus, I can hardly get the bugger in there to start with.

The worst noise is other people eating, it makes me nauseous. I even hate hearing myself eating!

• Ruth Crilly says:

@Ida you might like these alpine something or others I have – I’m going to post very soon about them. ie, when I get back from Greece! xx

19. SkinDeepBlogger says:

I’m exactly the same so will definitely be investing in these!

20. Angie Kayles says:

I need to get some of these! I feel the same about noise – especially random repetitive noises! I’m going on holiday soon and I was literally falling asleep last night thinking that I must buy soom earplugs, you read my mind, thank you!

Comments are closed.