Honey, I’m home! I’d like to say that I’m well-rested, but what with the five thousand videos I recorded, I think I probably worked harder than when I wasn’t supposed to be taking it easy! Anyway, lots to tell you but I have to dash out and so here’s the first of the videos. I have devised a new ‘series’ of reviews called, annoyingly and not very imaginatively, High Five. Each video (and this will be a permanent feature, so feel free to groan…NOW) will have five tried and tested products that do a similar thing but that are slightly different. Does that make any sense at all? I’ll try to include different price ranges, ingredients, skin types and so on. I hope to God that you’ll find them useful, because I have about twelve of them pre-recorded! Ha.

Here we go, then, with five high protection SPFs for the face. Shopping List, as always, is beneath the video pane!

Shopping List

La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF50, £16.50 from Escentual: http://tidd.ly/469b8a14

Avene Very High Protection Cream, £12.96 from Escentual: http://tidd.ly/c20b1780

Escentual.com ‘try before you buy’ samples: http://tidd.ly/1c42de38

Avon Anew Solar Advance SPF50, reduced to £8.50: http://tinyurl.com/44xc7km

Ole Henriksen Protect the Truth SPF50, £31 delivered from FeelUnique: http://tidd.ly/3ff6ec3

Lierac SPF50, £19.15 with free delivery from FeelUnique: http://tidd.ly/34ad1651

Share →

21 Responses to Some Great High Protection Facial SPFs, Tried and Tested.

1. Juliet says:

Such a helpful video. I have been wanting to start using a high SPF face cream but didn’t know where to start. Today I put factor 30 on my face, over my usual SPF 15 moisturiser and pressed powder, and have caught the sun (red face). (A very sunny spring day in London) I have really sensitive skin and use a face cream that proports to having SPF 15 built in, but having seen your video, my question is, do I use a SPF 50 sun cream when the sun is out/all Summer or do I put an SPF 50 cream on top of my daily moisturiser? Really wasn’t sure what I was meant to do. The one you suggested as more a moisturiser is rather expensive….could any of the others be used everyday, in the city so to speak. Thanks!

2. renay says:

Hi Ruth,
    I have just recently discovered your youtube videos, and it’s helped me design a whole new skin care routine. I’m 43, fair skin with some freckles. I’m currently trying out the Ole spf 15 day cream and will now try out the 50. I was wondering if you’ve heard of “Image Skincare” range of products. I’ve read positive reviews on their Daily Defense spf 30 face moisturizer. Also, have you heard or tried any of the Korean brand “Hera”? I’ve bought their Sun Mate 35, which seems ok.

Love from Canada!

• Ruth says:

I haven’t! Do let me know if you try anything and recommend it and I’ll add it to the list – glad you like the videos! x

• renay says:

I will be trying out Image Skincare when my order comes in. Hera is not bad – it’s tinted and a bit shiny, so maybe better on days without makeup. I prefer a matte finish when I’m wearing makeup.

3. Annabel Morgan says:

Hi Ruth! Thanks for great video. I find La Roche Posay leaves a whitish film on my (fair, reddish) complexion. I have been a sunscreen fanatic for the past 10 yrs and after lots of trial and error (and expenditure) my two recommendations would be Ultrasun Face SPF 30 (goes on a bit tacky but soon sinks in to leave a matte finish that’s a good base for makeup) or Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 30, which feels a bit more like a skincare product as well as a sunscreen. Slightly off topic but on the subject of suncream, I was in South of France last week and had to eat lunch outside in full glaring sun wearing low-necked short-sleeved dress. It was honestly the most sun exposure I’d had in about 5 yrs, so was quite traumatic! For various reasons, I ended up slathering my right arm in Lancaster SPF 50 and the other in a 50 SPF Clarins suncream. The Clarins sunscreen was amazing – despite spending approx. 45 mins in burning 30 degs midday sun my left arm was not even slightly red that evening. Lancaster was also good but I had a weeny bit of pinkness and heat on my right arm. Have never used Clarins suncare before, but will certainly use it again.

4. @admin says:

Oh!! I can’t seem to find it on the web! Can find anthelios spfs but not the mineral one… I will keep an eye out!

5. FairSKin says:

Thanks for the spf info! I have seen a La-Roche Posay Anthelios mineral spf for oily skin on the US website but it doesn’t seem to exist in the UK yet. Do you know anything about this at all? x

6. kimannj says:

Thanks Ruth!

7. Strawberry Blonde says:

I also use La Roche Posay Anthelios & reviewed it recently. Absolutely love it & wear everyday.

Love the High Five idea!

Nic x
    Beauty Blogger

8. kimannj says:

Fab video – any particular ones you’d recommend for oily skin Ruth? I know you mention the La Roche Posay one but I had heard even that leaves oily skins greasy?

9. anna says:

Thanks! x

10. sophia says:

yay for high fives! Hope you had a brilliant holiday :) xox

11. Vera F. Melnyk says:

I have the Anthelios, it is really great. For the first time in my life I’ve been using high sun protection every single day (this summer) and I do notice a big difference not only on the colour of imperfection but also on the texture and radiance of the skin.
    BTW, your skin looks perfect, very healtly and glowing.

12. Kiki says:

Love your vids. I have an Avene SPF 30 face cream, love it :)

13. SkinDeepBlogger says:

Love this new concept- high fives all round!

14. anna says:

Ooh what nail varnish are you wearing in this? It’s perfect for an impending Ibiza trip…