Autumnal Blonde at Trevor Sorbie

trevor sorbie blonde

I have, once again, gone darker for the winter. I do love a bright and jaunty blonde, but I’m beginning to realise that a) it’s not great for work, as I get roots after approximately three seconds, and b) it doesn’t quite suit my colouring as much as an ashier, darker shade. In other words, a shade that is closer to my natural colour. I popped into Trevor Sorbie in Covent Garden to get my colour overhauled, and a delightful experience it was too! I thought that it had been years since I’d been there, but turns out (after a quick search on my own site) that it was, in fact, last autumn. For pretty much the same overhaul. History repeats itself! You can read about my last experience here: Clever Little Tweaks at Trevor Sorbie

This time around I have gone for a gorgeously rich, autumnal blonde – but it’s not ‘warm’ in the slightest. There are very few reddish tones at all, which I like as it makes my skin look less washed-out! It’s quite a feat, I think, to achieve a rich colour that’s cooler in tone, but that’s definitely what I came away with. I absolutely love the finished result – it’s one of those colour-jobs that I panic about because I just want to keep it exactly as it is forever and ever! It’s the perfect depth and tone. I think that I bored colourist John half to death trying to explain to him the precise shade I wanted, we were there for about twenty minutes discussing it! But all credit to him for taking the time out and really listening to what I wanted – it’s better than I could have imagined. I’ve got a little before and after with my hair tied back (which it is about 95% of the time because I’m lazy and easily irritated by loose hair!)

Before:

Autumnal Blonde

After:

Autumnal Blonde

See how it’s just a really subtle blend of my natural colour and a nice, expensive blonde? It’s as though my natural colour (at the roots on the first picture) has been given a richer hue. Don’t get me wrong, I do quite like the rock ‘n roll feel of the roots and lighter blonde, but it’s just so high-maintenance. (And try turning up to a shoot with roots that dark – clients would have an absolute heart attack!)

Here’s a photo of my hair freshly finished – Lee and I have taken the geekiest photo ever with perfectly arranged hair, I love it!

trevor sorbie blonde

Trevor Sorbie have a little offer on at the moment; for £50 the ‘new season new you’ package gets you a cut and blow-dry, a hair treatment, two Trevor Sorbie products, a full colour analysis and 15% off future colour service. Well worth looking into if you fancy a total overhaul but want to take it a step at a time! It’s running until the 30th of November at the Covent Garden, Hampstead, Manchester and Brighton salons – see the Trevor Sorbie website for more details.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. November 3, 2011 / 6:21 am

Your new hair is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

2. Alison
    November 3, 2011 / 8:42 am

Love the hair colour, it looks just right for Autumn. And where is that gorgeous dress from? Great look all round.

3. November 3, 2011 / 9:42 am

Looks gorgeous and definitely has a richer look to it, makes your eye colour pop even more too :)

4. clara
    November 3, 2011 / 10:09 am

Great color, i agree, it better suits your complexion. I changed my hair color one month ago, and the stylist suggested a reddish colortone, which i do not like. I am planning to go back for a more cool, ashy brown, which is mo similar to my color.
    Congrats on yr blog, i discovered through cult beauty ad am following it!

5. Lucy Downes
    November 3, 2011 / 10:51 am

Fantastic offer! Have just booked myself an appointment.

6. Katharine
    November 3, 2011 / 11:21 am

I thought it was only me who went darkerfor winter. I think I’m going to start calling myself an expensive blonde!

Your hair looks wonderful- effortessly chic. Get your Clinque black honey out or the Tom Ford black orchid on!

7. Melanie
    November 3, 2011 / 12:34 pm

Yes, it suits you well, the colours are much better not made your hair look harsh or brassy, but instead natural and blended well ..

I’ve just been to a demo for hair extentions which doesn’t harm your hair, no heat or glue involved! If anyone wants highlights these are a good way to have them without bleaching.. yes they are costly, but so is highlights. Also you can as you know have instant long hair.. and these can stay with you til your hair grows.

• admin
      November 3, 2011 / 12:46 pm

@Mel how much do they cost? xx

8. Kate
    November 3, 2011 / 1:18 pm

How much did it cost?? Love love love

• admin
      November 3, 2011 / 1:55 pm

@Kate it depends what you have and who you have doing it – they have a price guide on the link, so you can choose what level stylist and so on! xx

9. Sarah
    November 3, 2011 / 2:06 pm

I LOVE the color! I scheduled an appointment to do just the same thing over thanksgiving! Also, quick question about the Tom Ford line… do you think Coco Ravish is a good everyday shade? I’m seriously considering the purchase!

• admin
      November 4, 2011 / 12:44 pm

@Sarah I do, but unless you’re really in the mood to splash out, you can find quite similar shades in Lauder’s collection for less. The texture of the TF is lush, though, truly! Have a little try at the counter! xx

10. November 3, 2011 / 2:43 pm

This is almost enough to make me want to go back blonde, gorgeous! x

11. Amigurumigirl
    November 3, 2011 / 3:04 pm

Gorgeous! And what a deal!!

12. November 3, 2011 / 3:21 pm

I LOVE it, I would love that colour and I think I might print a pic and take it to my hair dresser ;-)
    I am very interested to know how much the colour would cost at Trevor Sorbie?

• admin
      November 4, 2011 / 12:42 pm

@Stina all depends on who you see, I think! Half head with top colourist is about £170 I think, but I’m pretty sure you could get a less expensive stylist and ask for “what Ruth had”! hahax

13. Sue
    November 3, 2011 / 3:29 pm

Such a good idea, it’s reinforced the gold tones in your skin, and knocked the red back. Great colorist, keep him! xx

14. Sophie
    November 3, 2011 / 4:33 pm

I also want to ask where your dress is from???!! Love the print. Hair looks fab too

15. flick
    November 3, 2011 / 7:46 pm

Beautiful! But also want to know whether that amazing dress comes from!!

• admin
      November 4, 2011 / 12:40 pm

@Flick see post on favourite autumnal dress in fashion category xx

16. Mel
    November 3, 2011 / 9:17 pm

The type I’m talking about.. cost about £300, they use real hair and mainly from Europe, so the colours and type of hair matches well with your own. From the demonstration I saw, they blend very well with your own hair. They use a bond thats clipped into place on your hair, which can be removed and moved for you by those who are trained in this. I think this would be great for you Ruth, rather than having, the clients mess with your hair.

• admin
      November 4, 2011 / 12:40 pm

@Mel interesting!! I shall look into this xx

17. November 3, 2011 / 11:27 pm

love it!

18. November 4, 2011 / 2:17 am

Your hair looks lovely! I’m deff booking myself an appt.! xx

19. November 4, 2011 / 10:48 am

You look gorgeous! Love the colour :)

20. lizziee
    November 4, 2011 / 7:06 pm

How has your fringe grown out so quick and my hair is still “just past my ears”???? Love the style and the colour. So rich and lush. Would love to be blonde but too many heartbreaks after turning orange have put me off.

21. Michelle
    November 7, 2011 / 2:37 pm

Are you wearing a top or the robe they gave you?! It is gorgeous. If it is indeed an item of clothing, lol, where did you get it from? Thanks!

• admin
      November 8, 2011 / 10:24 am

@Michelle French connection dress xx

22. Julie
    January 17, 2012 / 7:52 am

i LOVE the color. i never dyed my hair since i was born so i always envied people who have a gorgeous new haircolor.
    i thought of going to hair colorist to color my hair. but should i bring a picture? tho I don’t have the color i want in mind. i have dark hair and i’m thinking of going brown. plus my hair grows reallyy fast and i don’t want them to show the regrowth. any advice?

• Ruth
      January 17, 2012 / 11:49 pm

@Julie is there a reason that you’re suddenly not happy with youyr natural colour after all this time? xx

23. Julie
    January 18, 2012 / 12:23 am

my mom forbid me to dye my hair so until now i always have black hair. i don’t know really, i just wanted to try if brown hair suit me…and i have a friend who had golden brown hair with golden highlight, it was so gorgeous.

• Ruth
      January 18, 2012 / 2:47 pm

@Julie ah, OK. I do have to warn you that once you start colouring your hair you can rarely go back – it’s a right royal pain in ze arse! If you really want to experiment then tell the stylist to make any highlights as fine as they can so that if you do want to grow them out it won’t be quite so noticeable! xx