Little Pots of Luxury

Are expensive lip balms worth the dough? The sensible half of my brain says ‘no’, but the half that was paying attention when I tested the examples below is screaming YES! These were simply superb – especially the Sisley. Effects were long-lasting and really beneficial – none of that ‘leaving your lips drier than when you started’ business… If you’re feeling the post-Chrimbo blues and want a small piece of luxury to keep the spirits up, then my four picks below are a great starting point!

sisley lip balm

1) Sisley Confort Extreme Lip Balm. Just amazing. I’d like to say that I’ve been applying this all the time because I love it so much, but the truth is, I don’t need to! I apply after brushing my teeth in the morning and then don’t need to reapply until after lunch. Expensive but totally worth it for the rich, long-lasting formula. £39.50 (eeeek!) from Selfridges.com

creme de la mer lip balm

2) Creme de la Mer ‘The Lip Balm’, £40 from Selfridges.com – I love this one long time! It has a slight tingle to it, which isn’t altogether unwelcome. It’s a brilliant base for dabbing lip colour onto or to prepare lips for makeup.

chanel hydramax

3) Chanel Hydramax Active Nutrition, £27 from Boots.com – it’s always a hoot when Chanel comes up as the cheapest option! I’ve been using this one for over a year and haven’t made too much of a dent in the pot. The finish is almost matte, which I love, and it makes a great overnight balm.

by terry or de rose

4) By Terry Or de Rose Baume Precieux, £46 from SpaceNK.co.uk. My latest discovery! The Baume de Rose is a bit of a cult product, but this one is extra-special with a subtle gold shimmer. You are probably aware of my rose obsession (which has eased over the course of this year, it has to be said!) and this is the latest little treat. Not overpoweringly rose-y, just perfect.

*Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers are affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Thu
    January 9, 2012 / 7:20 am

I tried the Sisley lip balm when I was buying Sisley skincare. It felt amazing!!! Still couldn’t justify the price tag, though.

2. January 9, 2012 / 10:35 am

oh I was really disappointed with the sisley!! I didn’t like the way they had fragranced it, it smelt off or old somehow, and i didn’t find it to be particularly moisturizing…well, no were near as moisturizing as something like carmex or elizabeth arden lip products :( but maybe different people get different results!!

January 9, 2012 / 12:47 pm

@Blushme really? Mine doesn’t seem to be fragranced! Maybe I have no sense of smell?! I shall get Mr AMR to check! xx

3. pansy
    January 9, 2012 / 10:37 am

loving the la mer! will definitely try out your other recs when the la mer finished =)

will you please please consider doing a post on your fav eye creams and also a post on neck care? I’m still amazed every time i look at your videos and realize you have no neck lines!

thank you for the video on how you wash your face. you mentioned on it that you doubt it will help anyone, but it helped me! Before your video, I tried every single eye makeup remover available and my lashes were still falling out due to all the “gentle” wiping. Ever since I started using your method of using the face cleanser to massage out our eye makeup and mascara, it’s been a breeze!!! I don’t even use the eye makeup remover anymore. THANK YOU. ( sometimes i wonder why didn’t i think of removing eye makeup that way before! massaging the eye lashes works wonders )

January 9, 2012 / 12:47 pm

@Pansy oh, that’s my pleasure! I will do a neck video – although I don’t use anything special, I have just always made sure to moisturise all the way down to the top of my chest! xx

4. Annie
    January 9, 2012 / 1:21 pm

you should really try the nuxe one, its amazing!!! and only £10!

January 9, 2012 / 2:14 pm

@Annie ah yes – that has been in posts before! Couldn’t put it in this one though as it’s a bargain! x

5. Helen
    January 9, 2012 / 3:08 pm

Heya Ruth! Thanks for this post, my lips are peeling like crazy, probably shedding more dead skin cells than anywhere else on my body! Is it possible (if you would be so kind and lovely) to do a similar post for cheaper lip balms that also do the job (or something similar) to those lovely ones above? I’m a student and I’m a tight budget, but if there is a brilliant balm that is under £20, I might consider buying it if it has your thumbs up-approval ;) Btw, as strange as it sounds, YOU WERE IN MY DREAM LAST NIGHT! LOL… I’m probably reading your tweets/blog too much, ha ha!

January 9, 2012 / 4:04 pm

@Helen have you tried Lanolips? Is very good! xx

6. Nancy
    January 9, 2012 / 3:37 pm

Harrods got the Sisley balm (oh Sisley you make my heart beat and my wallet cry) on sale, well nothing too shocking ..I think is something as 32£

7. Amigurumigirl
    January 9, 2012 / 4:08 pm

I’m a huge junkie when it comes to lip products. Of all make up items lip stuff is the hardest for me to resist. :( I dunno I just HAVE to try them! My current fav is Korres Lip Butter in Guava… At 9$ it’s far from luxury but it’s really great. Thanks for the tempting recs!

January 9, 2012 / 5:10 pm

@Amigurumigirl ooh, yes – that’s a lovely one! xx

8. Helen
    January 9, 2012 / 4:50 pm

Ruth, strange that you suggested Lanolips! I was seriously thinking of purchasing that as my next lip balm, or the Nuxe stick lip balm. But Lanolips is available in my Boots so I’ll probably go for that. Thanks for the tip ;)

9. January 9, 2012 / 5:12 pm

I want the By Terry one just for the pretty pot! I just discovered a tiny little organic beauty company here in the US and one of their items is the most divine lip scrub – it’s tupelo honey and corn grits! I eat a good deal of it when I scrub, I must say, but my lips are feeling lovely afterwards!

January 9, 2012 / 6:04 pm

@TheBlossomShed haha! Don’t eat TOO much of it – it makes for an expensive meal I’d imagine! x

10. Love in a mist
    January 9, 2012 / 6:38 pm

Lurrrvvve the look of the Terry rose lip Balm, maybe for my birthday though, as I’ve just got my sticky was on the urban decay naked pallet 2 from debenhams £36 so can’t go there this month now lol!
    Helen, re cheap but good lip balms, I’ve been using figs and rouge lp balms they are only £4.99 100% organic and fantastic for dry cracked lips and dry skin on body too, I use on my cuticles too, there are about six different ones I think to choose from boots or naturismo.com
    Also caudalie do a fab lip Balm in a stick type it’s about £6 also from boots.com or naturismo.com brilliant too! :-) xx

January 9, 2012 / 11:42 pm

@LoveinanMist have never tried Figs & Rouge! Nice stuff? x

11. Love in a mist
    January 9, 2012 / 6:42 pm

Oohhh also Apples and pears do a good one too I live the lid rose but there are two more choices organic again £9.25 but the rose one is currently on at £5.95 on naturismo.com

12. Susie
    January 9, 2012 / 7:17 pm

I have to laugh! Up until this post i thought the lipbalm i’m using (EOS ecological lipbalm that come in cute egg shaped containers) was ridiculously expensive. In fact, i could buy four for the price of the sisley one (eeeek indeed) :)

13. January 9, 2012 / 8:38 pm

Ruth, this has nothing to do with lip balms but I just had to comment somewhere! I’ve just stumbled over ‘This Model Life’ series online, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover in it the appearance of the very writer of this blog! I was so happy to see the smile on your mum’s face when you handed her the money you’d earned in Tokyo – so sweet :) Can’t wait to watch the second episode in the series. Keep the blog posts coming, they are a crucial part of my daily internet browsings!

January 9, 2012 / 11:40 pm

@MissTT aha! Yes, that was so long ago now – they filmed it 10 years ago, can you believe?! xx

14. Darina
    January 9, 2012 / 11:35 pm

Korres is expensive enough to be here ))
    Ruth, what do you think of Payots cremes in general?( specifically hydra range for 22 y.o?) thnx!

January 9, 2012 / 11:38 pm

@Darina I have very limited experience with Payot – it’s on my list so I shall let you know once I’ve had a good old test! xx

15. January 10, 2012 / 4:53 am

I recently purchased the by Terry balm (and also sheer expert foundation-on your recommendation-my new favorite foundation: ) Although it may seem strange, I occasionally wear the balm dabbed on my cheeks. It has been so cold and dry over here that I feel the need to slick up my cheeks. It gives a nice glow and I like the sparkles. Plus, no dry uncomfortable face: )Thanks for all you do!

16. Love in a mist
    January 10, 2012 / 4:01 pm

Ruth, yes they are superb, well for £4.99 anyway i think they are a bargin for 100% organic, I haven’t used them all but my current two are the wild cherry and the rose and geranium, the tins are fab too very vintage looking which I love.
    I use them everyday several times for lip balm, and they have kept my lips soft and supple, great to apply just before lipgloss then pat off excess makes lipgloss stay on longer.
    I’d certainly give them a try, I wouldn’t be without them :-)

January 10, 2012 / 7:28 pm

@Loveinamsit well then I shall endeavour to give them a try! Thanks for the tipoff! x

17. Love in a mist
    January 12, 2012 / 3:55 pm

Sorry girls forgot to say, if you buy Glamour magazine £2 this month, there is a voucher for a FREE( yes Free!) L’occitane lip gloss, a choice of three, just fill it in and pop into any L’occitane store and you can choose from three options, I got the Delice des fruits one, it’s super just gives a hint of shimmer to the lips, it’s not limited to one either ( well i had to ask, didnt I?! Lol!) so if you buy three magazines the you can have all three ! They are usually £8.50 each!
    Go,go,go go its not often you get something fab for free ….

January 13, 2012 / 12:57 am

@LoveinaMist thanks SO much!!!!! I should probs post about this but if you already have then I’ll link to yours! What’s your twitter name? xx

18. Love in a mist
    January 13, 2012 / 9:44 am

Ruth you go ahead and post :-) xx I’m not signed up to twitter yet, not sure if I can manage facebook and twitter at same time lol! Xx

January 13, 2012 / 11:00 am

@LoveInaMist OK, brilliant! xx

19. Love in a mist
    January 13, 2012 / 1:04 pm

Just read my post again lol! it’s actually a lip balm not gloss but they are all tinted, got abit over excited there!

20. janey
    May 30, 2012 / 8:58 pm

Hi Ruth, Im currently on roaccutane treatment for acne so my lips are incredibly incredibly dry and chapped! which of these is the mooooost moisturising and long lasting? I havent been able to weak lipstick at all as my lips are so dry
    thanks

May 30, 2012 / 9:02 pm

@Janey la Roche Posay Ceralip xx

21. Ana
    October 21, 2012 / 5:25 pm

Hi Ruth! Just thought I should add Clarins Baume lèvres Réparateur to your list. Probably the cheapest of the list but really gourgeous stuff. Have you tried it?:)

• RuthCrilly
      November 5, 2012 / 8:25 pm

YES! I had it in a vanity bag on a business flight, it’s lush! I’m doing an updated version of this post soon. xx

22. Fabiola
    January 3, 2016 / 4:06 pm

Hi Ruth just wondering if you were going to invest in one either baume de rose or sisley confort extreme which would it be
    . I have heard many positives and negatives on both and am having trouble deciding. Thank you!

23. Amanda
    March 23, 2016 / 10:24 pm

Hi Ruth I have really dry lips and can’t decide between the sisley and by terry, which would you recommend. I already have the chanel. nuxe, and dior creme de rose and love those.