After my big old rant about Apple earphones (see last Wednesday’s post) I decided to actually find one of the (many) pairs of them that I have stowed away in various boxes and drawers. (After owning four iPhones and three iPods in my time, I have quite a collection – none of them EVER used due to the fact that they’re rubbish.)

I retrieved the newest pair from my iPhone 4S box and gave them ago. They are, as I remembered, absolutely useless to listen to music through. Useless. You’d have better luck listening to someone else’s as they’re trying to listen, if that makes any sense. (That makes no sense.) The following ad is a total joke:

If those dancing people were really listening to the Apple earphones, they would have their hands pressed firmly over their ears to a) be able to hear anything whatsoever and b) stop the blasted things from simply falling out.

Rant (second rant!) over, because I have found a use for the earphones. My new ones have a little mic on them so that you can use them as a handsfree and for the last few days I have been conducting phone conversations through this very handsfree apparatus! It’s actually quite life-changing, if you tend to use your phone a lot. Firstly, it frees up your hands so that you can do things whilst you talk (washing up, typing, video editing) and secondly (most importantly) it’s better for your health. Apparently. I have been worrying about phone ‘rays’ for a while and I’m convinced that the government will drop some kind of bombshell any year now, telling us that our brains are fried. So I’m changing my phoning habits and keeping my little earphones plugged in – finally they come in handy!

(For those wanting the name of the Amazon earphones that I have three pairs of, they are Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones. They are £17.99 delivered on Amazon, so I must have got some kind of amazing deal, because I definitely paid £6.95. Anyway, that explains why they’re so good – they are noise isolating ones! Well worth the dough…)

Tagged with →
Share →

13 Responses to Apple Earphone UPDATE!

1. Totally agree with everyone…it’s soooo annoying, especially when trying to read a book or you just feel like a bit of quiet “down time”…these things should deffo be banned! x

2. Helen says:

Heya Ruth, since reading your original post, I’ve had two incidents that involved those horrible, music leaking ipod earphones! First time round it was a guy walking past me in tescos, music very loud and as I glanced up, it was those earphones! Then today, as I was walking home, a guy walked past me and I could hear Coldplay’s “Paradise” blasting out of his ears, it must have been pretty loud for me to work the song out! But it was ok, Coldplay is my favourite band afterall! I think people use it as a statement/status thing, like “oooh look at me, aren’t I cool with an APPLE PRODUCT?!!!” even though they are thoroughly rubbish in delivering music into your ears, and not out. My Sony ones that came with my CD walkman doesn’t leak that much music and I got them 5 years ago!

3. Amy says:

This is turning into ‘Applegate’ heehee, I am with you Ruth, other people’s noise is so infuriating, I have got to the point no where I can not even bear to look at people their habbits annoy me so much. Another moan…when I go out jogging, why do other joggers feel the need to spit as they are jogging along ugh disgusting some people have no clue about manners have they! Anyway rant over, I too am becoming concerned that if my husband leaves his phone in his lap or his laptop he will somehow make himself infertile, I hope I am being dramatic but I am worried nonetheless :( Love your blog so much, I am fast becoming skint as I have to buy everything you blog about!…except the iphone earplugs!!! xx

4. Eva says:

Hi Ruth,
    based on your newest post I just bought the Creative EP 660 headphones in beautiful green! :) They have amazing reviews, so thanks for the tip! I feel the same about noisy commuters. Last weekend I took a 90 minutes train ride to visit my parents with the intention to read a book and relax on the train. It worked out pretty well unit a guy entered my compartement and turned on some crazy techno music on his MP3. He didn’t have the Apple headphones, those ones were even louder!! Anyway, I own a bunch of the Apple headphones from my iPhone/iPod etc., but the only good thing to use them for is hands free telephony. For example calling a friend while ironing makes this unpleasant activity much bearable ;-) Love from Czech republic, Eva

5. Holly says:

I hate apple earphones with a passion! The sound is awful and it’s ridiculous how leaky they are. I spend 3 hours on the tube/bus a day and it really winds me up when I can hear someones music. I can’t believe how selfish people are! I would be mortified if everyone could hear my music!
    I am looking for some new headphones as my trusty JVC ones are getting a bit old so I will definitely check out your recommendation.

6. Chloe Elizabeth says:

Hey Ruth,
    As long as you’re not one of those who uses the hands free set to talk and still holds their phone in one hand and the mouthpiece in the other, god I hate that its called HANDS – FREE for a reason!!!!! Glad you have found they came to use, I still dislike the damn things and refuse to use them… There must be in-ear ones that are hands free. x

7. Beth Maiorana says:

You are a priceless gem, Ruth … keep it coming please. xo Beth in Pgh ;-)

8. Style Souk says:

I take the tube most days, too, and this drives me bonkers.

When I first moved to London – eight years ago, from Oop North – it saddened me to note how little my carriage comrades acknowledged and smiled at one another. I decided to give a small, polite smile to any person who met my eye and maintained this practice for a good few years – oh okay, it was probably days.

Now?

I spend my journeys sticking pins into imaginary voodoo dolls for any w*nker with these earphones.

Why are people arrogant enough as to think that their musical taste is so expert that everyone else wants to listen to Roxette ‘It Must Have Been Love’ as we rattle around the Circle line?

Rant. Over. ;0)