clarifying activator perricone I have had really yucky skin recently. First I was ill, then I was on two weeks’ worth of antibiotics, then the website got hacked and I was supremely stressed. My skin, usually so lovely and well-behaved (apart from a few days every month!) went absolutely mental. I mean, I just didn’t know what it was trying to do! For a fleeting moment, I understood what it was like to be a man trying to reason with a pre-menstrual woman. Actually, I won’t generalise here for fear of a backlash, so I’ll change that statement to: for a fleeting moment, I understood what it was like to be Mr AMR trying to reason with a pre-menstrual Mrs AMR.

There. No disclaimers needed now.

Waffle over, time for the review! Super is Dr Perricone’s younger, more accessible range. It still contains many of his ‘wonder’ ingredients but concentrates more on the various skin benefits of superfoods. The blemish range has ‘Green Apple’ at its core (HA! Pun of the week?!) delivering antioxidants to the skin and drawing on the calming properties of Quercetin to help soothe sensitive faces. I used two products from the range.

1) Super Clarifying Activator: this is a prep-treatment, so I have been using it after cleansing and before moisturising. It contains Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid and Malic Acid and so should, by all rights, be a nice exfoliant. I certainly noticed a difference to the brightness of my skin and I didn’t find that the Activator dried it out or caused any sensitivity. I left about twenty minutes between using this and moisturiser because I wanted to try and keep the pH low, giving the acids a chance to get to work. Whether twenty minutes was enough or not I have no idea, but I definitely think that this little liquid did good things!

spot treatment apple

2) Breakout Solution: Dr Perricone has formulated this one to be used all over or as a targeted spot treatment. I didn’t actually read that and have been using it all-over even though I only had three spots! Ooops. I’m happy to report, though, that I experienced no drying or sensitivity – I think that this is a really nicely put-together product. Most other spot treatments I own would have your skin flaking off all over the shop and would be an absolute no-no for all-over use, but this hardly even needed moisturiser afterwards. A light one would be good – I really want to try the one from the same range, I’m interested to see how the products all work in conjunction with one another.

Good results, then, for the Green Apple Quercetin products. The salicylic acid works away at exfoliating the skin and clearing it up, whilst the green apple really does seem to calm the skin. I don’t have particularly reactive skin, but I’d (hesitantly!) say that this could be a good one to try if you find normal blemish ranges a little harsh. I’m tentative as always when recommending anything for sensitive skins because they vary so much in behaviour but if you can get some little sachets of this or do a patch test in Boots then do! Let me know how you get on.

The Super Green Apple range is available at Boots.com – the Activator (here) is £28.50 and the Breakout Solution is £37.

Tagged with →
Share →

16 Responses to Dr Perricone’s Super Green Apple Breakout Solutions

1. jen says:

hi ruth, have you used any of the other super range? have been using all liz earle products for alomost a year to allow my skin to calm down but now feel like i need a more ‘active’ product to help clear my skin and fade some pinkish acne scars, would you recommend this line of products for this? thanks xx

2. Julia says:

I love Dr Perricone’s 2nd line so far! I’ve gone through the ‘O-Mega Moisture’ this winter and highly recommend it for dry winter skin. It absorbed quickly and helped me ward off any break-outs while I was visiting family over the holidays (they live in Chicago, which is very very cold and dry during Winter). I think this may have been the 1st yr I didn’t land back in London looking like a spotty mess!
    And I’ve just picked up the ’3-Minute Facial’ which is a great quick-y face mask.
    Ruth, keep the Dr Perricone posts coming – would love to hear about any of his other products in the ‘Super’ line!

3. Sophie says:

I’m really looking forward to you spilling your teen skin treatments too, luckily I take good care of my skin and don’t suffer too bad with breakouts but my boyfriend however does. Really hoping your skin treatments could help him cos it makes him so unhappy. Thanks Ruth xoxo

4. Louisa says:

Ruth and AMR followers – I know this is slightly off topic, but I wasn’t sure quite where to post this since the death of the forum – does anybody know, when/if/how Montagne Jeunesse face masks go off? They are the 99p sachets of face mask that you can buy in Boots. They don’t have any info on the back or on their website that I could find – I often have quite a bit left over after I use them, but am always worried about keeping the ‘left overs’ for another time. They have a lot of natural ingredients in and I’m wondering if it makes it more likely to go off or more likely to keep?! Can I keep left over mask and if so for how long, does anyone know how I need to store it? – Thanks guys!

5. Hannah says:

My skin has also been acting up lately, and these products sounds good! However, I just looked, and it seems the brand is being phased out of Sephora (in the US at least) and these two products are not longer available for sale there! I wonder if I will be able to find it elsewhere.

I look forward for your “teen skin” recommendations, because although I am in my twenties, my skin has recently started acting up and getting oily and spotty after being dry and spot-free for my entire life!

6. Vera says:

OMG, Ruth, when I first saw this meme on FB I thought of your first paragraph of this post. Sounds like some people were in the comments were not very happy, but I believe that laughing at ourselves is part of taking it easy… : http://9gag.com/gag/3869708

7. MakeUpNaive says:

Ruth i heard your doing a collab with Mr. Goss? When? Im so excited!! My oh my cant hardly wait!two of mt favorite things, i mean personality!

8. Johanna says:

Thank you for the review Ruth. I was looking into their products earlier but was skeptical. So did you apply the breakout solution on top of the Super Clarifying Activator and then moisturizer? not sure which one to get

• Ruth says:

Yes, exactly. I didn’t have their moisturiser, though, so I just put a regular light one on! I think that the activator is great and would last ages as you only need a couple of spritzes each time.. x

9. upa says:

Ok. Now we’re in business! I have just about the entire Dr. Perricone line and have never been able to quite figure it out. I’ve actually thought of throwing it out because it’s so confusing but with me just about NOTHING gets thrown out.

The activatoring part is what is central to this confusion, I now realize! I would love more info on activators and the way this works at some point (think a very basic 101 course, first lecture level) for those of us confused. (Lordy, I hope I’m not alone!) Thanks. Will now study this informative missive you’ve given…so happy! xx