If Chanel did facials, the treatment room would be a softly lit and fragranced with beautiful candles and mountains of fresh white flowers. As you waited for your appointment, there’d be gorgeous edibles; a Guava smoothie packed full of vitamins to drink and tiny macaroons to nibble on.

You’d be seen by an amazing facialist. Somebody like…oooh, I don’t know, let’s say Sarah Chapman. She’d spend over an hour massaging life back into your face, waking up the muscles and lifting the skin. She’d be so incredible that you’d start drifting off, dreaming that you were in Paris, dreaming that…

Oh hold on! Chanel did do a facial – on me! I went last week to experience the new ‘Hydra Beauty’ products in the best possible way that you can ever imagine! Boy was I pampered. Sorry if this all sounds a bit smug, but as I write it I am sitting in what can only be described as a BOX in Hamburg, hunched over the tiniest desk in the universe, so I need to relive the memories…

Chanel really had thought of everything when it came to a full beauty experience – there was a desk with a magic Chanel makeup mirror (daylight, candle-light, all kinds of light) and a selection of classic and limited edition makeup products so that I could re-do my maquillage before stepping back outside into the cruel world.

I couldn’t really bear to put any makeup on, though, because Sarah had coaxed my skin into a brilliantly polished and plumped version of itself. My face was glowing like some kind of beacon!

Sarah used all three of the new ‘Hydra Beauty’ products during the facial – there’s a Serum, a Gel Creme and a richer Creme. The products contain Camellia and Blue Ginger for their hydrating and protective properties and have been formulated to give the skin a dewy and plumped-up look. My skin certainly looked plumped-up (I mean seriously plumped!) but it also felt fresh and clean. Sometimes I exit from a facial feeling that my skin is moisturised but a bit ‘heavy’ with rich products, but this time it felt light and rejuvenated.

I can hear you saying “yes, but the products were bound to feel amazing if you had an amazing facialist performing magic with them!” and so I’ll tell you how I got on with the Hydra Beauty range at home. (Actually, abroad, but who’s checking?)

The range seems to work on dehydration rather than dryness - so adding water rather than oils. It follows, then, that the textures are all very light – after applying the serum followed by the gel creme, I almost felt as though there was nothing on my skin. There was no residue or slick finish – everything absorbed straight in. But whereas some lighter products just seem – frankly – ineffective, these did appear to hydrate and plump. Using them on alternate nights to my Alpha-H Liquid Gold, I found that in the morning my skin looked really fresh and perky.

The Serum and Gel Creme (and even, in fact, the richer Creme) have an almost cooling effect on the skin, so I can imagine that they’ll be a hit during the summer and in countries with hot, humid climates. The range has a simple aim, which is to hydrate the skin, and the ingredients are pretty simple too, but for those looking for a luxury moisture fix, the Hydra products provide a chic and fragrant option! (I know that some of you love fragranced products, but lots of you hate them, so it’s important to mention the fragrance!)

Anyway, I’ll definitely be using the Hydra serum and gel creme on holiday after I’ve been out in the sun – maybe I’ll even remember to “pop them in the fridge” (that old chestnut) for an extra-chilly sensation!

The Hydra Beauty range launched today, with prices from £50 at Selfridges.com and Chanel counters nationwide.

Share →

45 Responses to If Chanel did facials…

1. Katrina says:

Hello Ruth, just stumbled upon your page while searching for Chanel Hydra Beauty Gel Creme. I bought the serum a few months back in August but haven’t used it yet because I’m finishing the Hydramax + Active one. Anyways, sounds like a lot of people opt for either the serum or the gel creme, do you think I should get both or is the serum enough? I always thought that you’d put on the serum then the gel creme?

• Ella Thomas says:

Hello, i saw your comment and wanted to offer this tibit of knowledge, today while i was at the chanel counter the assistant talked me out of just buying the serum and buying the rich moisturiser instead as you either need a moisturiser or both, the serum does not work on its own as it is designed to work under the moisturiser

Hope this helped
      xx

2. Naaz says:

Is there alcohol in Hydra rich creme, Ruth…? awesome review by the way ;)

3. Vanessa says:

Hi Ruth,
    I live in the Caribbean. I was told by a dermatologist that I have acne prone, combination , snesitive skin. I go for facials weekly but my facialsit says I simply have comination to oily skin. I don’t really have bad skin but I have very very fine pimples . Can I use the Hydra Beauty Serum? Is it formulated for persons with oily acne prone skin who live in a hot climate? My dermatologist said I should put nothing on my skin not even sun block becasue it is causing me to break out more in fine pimples and in the occassional zit.. I did as he said and it worked but now Im in the predicament where Im exposed to the hot sun!! And you know its hotttt in Trinidad! What do you think?

• Ruth says:

What are you cleansing with? To be honest, I’m not sure the Chanel range would be the best thing for you.. It’s lovely, but it sounds as though you need to be careful, and the Chanel products are quite fragranced. Have you tried Anthelios suncare from La Roche Posay? They are pretty non-clogging and OK for acne-prone.. xx

• Vanessa says:

Presently, I alternate cleansing with oil of olay blackhead clearing scrub (recommended by my cosmetologist) and cetaphil gentle cleanser (recommended by my dermatologist). I probably should have mentioned that I got a sample of the Chanel Hydra beauty serum and its absolutely amazing under my makeup (I got so many compliments) but I used it very sparingly so I didn’t want to spend all the money to buy it for everyday use and then get a different result (Ive had the experience where at first a product works well and then eventually it just does nothing for my skin or even worsens it). I used the La Roche Posay Physiological Cleansing Gel and Toner and their moisutirser for sensitivre skin and it was a disaster. My skin was perenially oily and very fine bumps appeared where there was nonne before.. Perhaps I’ll try the anthelios since its for acne prone skin. Would you recommend another cleanser and toner for me? I tone with the Oil of Olay oil minismising toner as well. I am yet to find a reliable skin care line that works for my skin. Thank you Ruth for your time and advice.

• Ruth says:

Yes, you could try the Alpha-H cleansers (see reviews on here). I’m not convinced that toners are at all necessary if you use a good cleanser! Readers have also had good results with Ultrasun products, and there’s one called Invisible Zinc that can be quite good for acne-prone skin? x

4. Jothi says:

I’ve literally just purchased the Hydra Beauty Serum, so wish me luck! Also, I was wondering if I could wear it under my foundation?

5. Veronica says:

Thank you so much Ruth. What you are doing is really amazing I appreciate it so much!

6. Veronica says:

Hello Ruth
    I am so sorry for lots of my questions but I will be the happiest person ever if you can answer my questions
    I do want to try out the serum do you know if it gives you a dewy glow? Because my skin is so dull and doesnt look fresh or shiny at all. Do you think I need a golden liquid? How about creme embryolisse? My skin is normal to dry. I am 23. I also have freckles too..should I also have a chemical peel I have been searching for it but I guess theres no solution for that. Thank you A LOT. and thanks for your efforts making us informed about all of this precious information.

• Ruth says:

@Veronica the Liquid Gold is exactly what you need for dullness and it has the action of a chemical peel but isn’t too harsh or aggressive. If you just want a plump dewiness then the Chanel serum could be nice, or you could try the Sarah Chapman Hydrating Booster serum – I’ve been testing this recently and it’s also great! xx

7. Michael says:

I’ve just got the Hydra Beauty Sérum!! It’s amazing! Thanks for the suggestion and review! Also getting the liquid gold! Do you leave the liquid gold on over night?? I left a similar product on over before and my skin peeled so bad! Not nice! Any suggestions??

• Ruth says:

Michael you do leave it on overnight. It does exfoliate so you might
      get a bit of flakiness at first but just as a reaction to a new
      product.. Ease yourself in gradually with it!
      Xx

8. Liz says:

I’ve been using the Hydranax serene for the past few months and was surprised to find I loved it! I went back to the Chanel counter to restock as I’ve almost finished my bottle. I found they have re-formulated it. The consultant at the counter told me it was essentially the same with the addition of blue ginger. I have rosacea and have had no issues with this line whatsoever. I’m afraid, very afraid I’ll have to try the moisturizer next.

9. Sophiabencks says:

It sounds a bit like the Darphin Hydraskin range (which is fantastic by the way, you should try it if you haven’t)…

10. Dolly says:

Hello Ruth, where did you have this facial done? In the UK? and if so, how do you go about booking? Thanks!

• Ruth says:

@Dolly no, they don’t do them! That’s why it’s called “If Chanel did Facials”! Sorry if that’s not clear! It was a press launch for the new range x

11. monica says:

I like Chanel makeup however never tried their skincare because to me it has so much fragrance and I have Rosacea so I m very sensitive I get acne and breakout with about anything,but Birchbox sent me in my box this month a sample of Dr. Jart water fuse BB CREAM OMG! I DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT HAS IN IT BUT MY SKIN IS LOVING IT I PUT THAT ON WITHOUT PRIMER NOR FOUNDATION JUST THE BB CREAM WITH POWDER OVER IT AND MY SKIN LOVES IT !!

• Ruth says:

@Monica yes, you’re very right about fragrance and rosacea – also alcohol in formulas doesn’t help! x

12. Emma says:

I bought the Rouge Coco Baume today and they gave me a decent 5ml sample of the serum :)

13. yasmine choudhry says:

Hi Ruth,
    Sounds like a great facial,lucky you
    i know you have combination skin like me some parts oily and dry would the hydramax be suitable for my skin
    would love your great expertise
    have a great time shooting your mystery modelling campaign will you be able to say what you were modelling for in the future or is it a top secret

• Ruth says:

Hi Yasmine, yes the Hydra (NOT Hydramax, that’s being phased out and is different) would be suitable. It IS top secret, but I shall let you know as soon as I’m allowed! September I think.. x

14. ZenGarden says:

Cool! They’re soleil identité précision self-tanner is nice too!xx

15. Ayla says:

Hi Ruth,
    I have a question(nothing to do with this post)- I have been using the Filorga sleep and peel every other night for the last month. Do you think it’s ok that I don’t feel tingling once it’s applied? The exp.date is 03/14. I have used glycolic acid 10% in the past, and I remember a slight tingle every time I used it.

• Ruth says:

@Ayla you’re probably just used to it! I don’t feel SO much of a tingle with this because the pH is higher – it’s in a cream formula, so it takes away some of the tingle, I think! x

• Darina says:

Hey Ayla, where did you buy your sleep n peel? and how much was it? I’m 22, wanted to try it, dunno if worth it. xx

16. madii says:

I love reading these kinds of posts of yours – it’s like, I know I will never have a Chanel facial because it’s just out of my reach in this life time, but it’s so nice to read about what the world has to offer anyway and great to get your feedback on it! You are one lucky girl! Hugs! :)

17. Kaitlyn says:

The serum is incredible! It’s so moisturizing, after applying you can skip moisturizer! (During the day, and depending on what skin type you have o course.)

18. Ali says:

Sounds divine! And I understand what you mean by hydration vs dryness. Trust Chanel to come up with a formula that hydrates without leaving your skin feeling weighed down by product.

I love Chanel, but I do have one tiny complaint about them; I wish the counters weren’t so mean about sampling. They tend to sample with purchase only, and then you have to prompt them. I don’t know if that’s counter policy or just the consultant.

• Ruth says:

@Ali I’d be interested to know! It would be great also if they did a GWP now and again – that would be totally un-Chanel, but I do love my mini products! x

19. Julia says:

Hi Ruth,
    I have a question about your skincare rutine. Do you use Liquid Gold the frist night, then the Liquid Gold serum the other night and on the third night you used Chanel products? Thanks

20. Romina Elorrieta says:

So I was given a tiny sample of the gel creme, and it was spectacular. The scent was very subtle, very gentle, and it wasn’t annoying at all, I definitely loved it!. I am saving up to acquire both gel creme and serum as well, because while I was using the sample size, I can say it really, REALLY worked. I used it with the Beauté Initiale creme, which I really am looking for EVERYWHERE and they always tell me it’s been sold out, and i think my skin has never felt any more luxurious, pampered, refreshed and hydrated than using both products at the same time. Just amazing…

Also, Ruth, am I allowed to send you an email?. I have got a couple questions I’d like to ask you, but I don’t know how, and I am not quite sure if I should be posting them publicly. What do you think?.

Huggles!!

• Ruth says:

@Romina oh, nice! I’ll bet the sample lasted a while though? I find it very spreadable! Beaute Initiale has been discontinued, I think – I’ll double check! x

21. Phil says:

I’ve used the hydra serum a few months back. Best hydrating serum I’ve ever tried, but sadly so high in price too. It’s an amazing hydrating serum yes, but the price is painful.