A Chat with my Colourist!

For a while now, my tresses have been cared for by the wonderful people at Trevor Sorbie in Covent Garden. I thought that it was high time I had a little chat with my colourist, John Spanton, and asked him exactly what he did with my hair. It’s all about the cool tones, apparently! John makes it all sound very easy in the video, but in truth he’s just an incredibly talented chap. I know that his colour is excellent, because even other colourists have commented on how good it is, and usually they’ll say “oh my GOD, who did your colour last?” before rummaging through my hair trying to find highlights that aren’t fine enough or that haven’t been taken up to the root. (Not all colourists are like that, obviously. Just the ones I know. Ha!)

Anyway, here’s the video. A nice little before-and-after for you and a chat about colour in between. Enjoy – and if you want more info on the salon and the 10% reader discount then you can find that post here.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Venus
    May 31, 2012 / 9:37 am

Ruth, just a question. How do you maintain the colour in your hair afterwards? Any shampoo or treatment or whatever that you recommend? Colours don’t seem to like to stay too long on my hair…..

• Ruth
      May 31, 2012 / 9:46 am

@Venus yes, I think I did a post on it somewhere, I’ll have a look! In general though, it’s kind of hard to “make” the colour stay… x

2. May 31, 2012 / 2:33 pm

I am definitely a ‘cool’ blonde too. My colourist always wants to put golden tones in my hair and it really doesn’t suit me!

Love you’re highlights, they look so natural. You’re lucky that you’ve got a nice fair base colour :-)

3. Emma
    May 31, 2012 / 7:08 pm

Your hair looks gorgeous, really sophisticated blonde! I’m never sure if my hair is cool or warm blonde (which sounds silly!) but it has been described as ‘baby’ or ‘ice cream’ blonde, whatever that means!

4. Vera
    May 31, 2012 / 7:28 pm

ah, the highlights at the front which make that nice effect when you grab your hair in a pony tail… interesting detail, even for brunettes!

5. Sophie
    May 31, 2012 / 10:10 pm

Hi Ruth! Wow your hair looks beautiful! We have really similar things done to our hair but having very cool toned skin I opt for different warmer shades of blonde to help me look less like a recovering drug addict. Just wondering, and I know you are a busy lady, but could you reccomend any shampoos and conditioners, no more than £10 each. Like you I have fine hair that is easily weighed down by rich products that can make it look dull. X

• Ruth
      June 1, 2012 / 10:47 am

@Sophie yes, I shall pull some things together for a post – please do remind me if I forget! xx

• Suzi
        June 1, 2012 / 11:30 pm

Same, Sophie. I, too, have to go warm for exactly the same reason. Matter of fact I’ve been contemplating going red as it suits me and I don’t look too washed out….even with warm blonde tones.

I don’t know how Ruth manages to carry it off so gorgeously as fair as she is, and yet she does having seen videos of her sans makeup!

6. Lisa
    June 1, 2012 / 11:37 am

Hi Ruth,

I love your hair I always struggle to find a hairdresser who can get the right colour to suit me however as I live in the Midlands can you reccomend anyone closer to me??

• Ruth
      June 1, 2012 / 11:41 am

@Lisa hmmm, I’m really not sure, I’m so sorry! If I hear anything through the grapevine… I know that Lisa Shepherd has a salon somewhere (Worcester maybe) and she is excellent.. xx

• Lisa
        June 1, 2012 / 1:01 pm

Thanks Ruth, I have seen Lisa Shepherds salon in Birmingham so I’ll give there a try.

7. Lisa
    June 1, 2012 / 6:26 pm

Looking amazing Ruth! I was in London for the last 2 days with work and the buzz was great. Wish I could have made a long w/e of it but am off on hols on Weds so back to Dublin I had to go! Enjoy the jubilee w/e! X

8. vera
    June 1, 2012 / 9:08 pm

hahaha I don’t understand a word he is saying… oh no :/

9. Suzi
    June 1, 2012 / 11:22 pm

Am about to view the video and as a total aside, I miss the intro music! Is it a copyright issue?

10. Angelina
    June 2, 2012 / 11:52 am

Hi Ruth you look so beautiful and amazing with your new hair color !!!!!!! I’m a little bit jealous…!!!!!!! :)
    I went from such a blonde to my natural dark blonde. I think even similar to yours and I hate it !!!!!!!
    My hair is very destroyed and very dry after this all years super fair blonde!!!!!!! :(

11. June 9, 2012 / 5:57 pm

i want to get my hair done at trevor sorbie but its quite exspensive considering i want it all, do you recommend that i should go to trevor sorbie? x

12. June 9, 2012 / 6:07 pm

the reason being i want my hair to look less of a dull colour because apparently one of my best features is my hair but if there are any alternatives you can think i’m open to anything!! thanks x

13. June 9, 2012 / 6:15 pm

sorry to keep asking things but is john spanton a stylist or is he an artistic director or one in between??? x

• Ruth
      June 10, 2012 / 10:19 am

John is artistic director, I think. I shall check for you! xx

14. Margaret Mchensky
    June 10, 2012 / 1:20 am

Hi Ruth!I don`t have any question, just come to say thay your hair is perfect!

you are amazing and fresh beauty!

love your colorist,such a pro.wish I have him in Moscow:)

• Ruth
      June 10, 2012 / 10:17 am

Thanks Margaret, that’s a lovely comment to wake up to! x

15. Monica
    July 6, 2012 / 10:47 pm

I realy admire your work very smart and savy girl ! good for you now from now on I will check with you before buying anything, so do you have highlights or low lights? and also can you recommend a good hair serum like for styling after washing its very humid down here in sunny Florida my hair gets really frizzy! much love xx