I have been using Dr Lewinn’s Renunail recently to try and sort out my splitting, cracking nails. Obviously I am lacking something in the vitamins and minerals department, but that’s a whole other story! Anyway, this Renunail stuff is quite marvellous – my nails are strong and not even threatening to break! Top marks. It smells as though it has every chemical in the world thrown into it, but I can live with that. Method: I applied two coats, every day for six days, and then on the seventh day removed the whole lot and started again.

WHICH IS A TOTAL LIE. That’s what you’re supposed to do. What I actually did was apply two coats on day one, nothing on days two, three and four, one coat on day five and two coats on day six. On day seven, I painted over the whole lot with Dior Addict in Incognito, then on day ten I took the whole lot off! Ooops. Nevertheless, my nails were strong and glossy and amazing – I can only imagine how well this stuff works if you actually follow instructions…

It’s £17 for a whopping 30ml. I reckon that if you were like me and useless at following instructions, you could use the Renunail almost as a treatment base coat each time you were about to paint your nails. Or for a few days up to your “nail painting” day. Just an idea…

£17 with free delivery from FeelUnique.com. Dr Lewinn’s recently relaunched website is here

Share →

21 Responses to Dr Lewinn’s Renunail Treatment for Weak Nails

1. Juan says:

I am a flamenco guitarist and need strong nails. Dr Lewin’s original formula was great’ but since they changed the packaging they must have changed the formula as well and it doesn’t work. Wish I could get hold of the original – called
    Dr Lewin’s Revitanail here in Australia – which was mainly black and gold on the packet with a small ‘window’ at the bottom left-hand corner. The new packet doesn’t say Dr Lewin’s and is mainly red and black.

2. [...] some oil into them once or twice a day, or I use the Orly Nailtrition or the OPI Nail Envy or the Dr Lewinn’s Renunail. All seem to work very well indeed – but none so much as my latest discovery, Imedeen Hair [...]

3. liv says:

I would also like to say how AMAZING this product is, i have always had thin nails that never grow without snapping/ peeling. This strengthener has transformed my nails and people are stopping me all the time asking me if they are real or acryllic :) it’s saved me so much money as im not using gel shellac or alternatives anymore :) LOVE LOVE LOVE the cuticle oil too !

4. sevda says:

Ruth, it’s been about 2 months now and it’s daily. Chunks of skin at the side of the nails. I have got dry cuticles before but never as bad.

I am hoping to get a manicure on Saturday depending on how my shellac holds up (got my first one done last week as a groupon was up).

If not the following week and from then I’m hoping to maintain.

5. yasmine choudhry says:

Hi Ruth
    Been wanting to try this for Ages as my nails are weak & splitting
    am using the Opi Nail Envy currently just started using a new bottle of this will try this when i have finished using this
    saw this on a shopping channel just by flicking they had alot of this range on there
    I love the face exfoliator from this range smells Divine almost good enough to eat lol
    are you using a nail oil as they can help weak splitting nails i used the essie oil previously which was good got the avoplex oil from opi though use both of their products for a better result

6. sevda says:

Hi Ruth, I’m a lurker but love your site. This sounds great. I doubt my nails are great but I keep them very short which I prefer so if they are brittle, I don’t notice .

But my cuticles are another story. I have done manicures, oil every night and still I have chunks of skin coming off. Will this help?

• Ruth says:

@Sevda have you tried a cuticle remover? When you say big chunks of skin are coming off, when is this? When you’re doing the manicure?! x

7. Upa says:

I use Phyto’s vitamins and wrote about it in a post not too kong ago. It’s a two-month supply but the results are seen pretty quickly for hair and nails both. I agree with Heidi about the OPI Nail Envy and I, too, never manage to use it correctly, but somehow it works – I suspect it’s somehow hydrating the nails and protecting them too.

8. Anastassiya Li says:

Hello Ruth, great post as always! I wanted to ask you about Alpha H Intensive Night Repair Serum. I am 21 and I have ordered Liquid Gold on your recommendation and that the only thing that cleared up 80 of my moderate acne! cannot thank you enough for that! I also use the balancing cleanser which I love, but do not know if I should try the serum. I’m on a budget, so just was wondering is it worth it? thank you! lots of love from Canad

• Ruth says:

You are probably fine with just the Liquid Gold, actually – at 21, you don’t need an all-round anti-ager! And the glycolic action in the LG is more effective, so for you I think stick to the liquid. xx

9. Kelly Ann says:

you could always take some biotin, it helps with nails, hair & skin, and so does fish oil (i know, it sounds very appealing, right? oil from a fish). i find that they work for me because my nails haven’t been nearly as brittle as before and it’s without all the chemicals :)

10. Ali says:

I need something! My formerly great nails are a right mess; ridges, white streaks, peeling. The doc says it’s hormones. I’m at the age where the medical default setting for almost any complaint I have is “hormones”.

I’m wondering if a supplement might help too.

Ali

11. Venus says:

Hah. Same with me. I always just use these nail strengtheners as a base coat before I apply nail polish, or if I feel like having a glossy shine on my nails, or if I feel like putting something onto my nails lol. Never ever followed their instructions. Hah =P

12. Mel says:

I’ve no nails, due to my beauty course.. Can’t do facials with long nails.. BUT, when I did it was from Mavala Scientifique.. the only product I’ve known to make my nails strong. Are you putting your hands in water too much Ruth? as this weakens them.. also rub cuticle oil in of a night time around the cuticle.. It has all night to soak in. The massaging it in will help nails to grow, and the oil will help the condition. If you are putting hands in water.. USE GLOVES!!!!! xx

13. Claire McDonnell says:

Hi, do you know if this contains formaldehyde? I love to try it but am allergic to this chemical x

• Gwen says:

Most of the nail hardeners rely on formaldehyde, unless they say “sensitive”. Formaldehyde, which whilst hardening your nails, will also harden the cuticles and surrounding skin. It can cause allergies such as peeling, flaking etc. it’s what they use in embalming, and is a very harsh, unhealthy chemical, but if it works for you. Look it up on the web and then decide. I use the sensitive formula which does the job!

14. Thanks for the recommendation, I have just purchased. I’ve been looking for something that actually works for a while, as my nails seem to have more or less decided to give up recently, so fingers crossed this does works for me.
    On the vitamin front, I’ve just got Seven Seas Health Oils ‘Radiant You’ supplement, I take their Cod Liver Oil capsules normally but these ones are fish oils blended with things that are supposed to be good for hair, skin and nails too x

15. Mim says:

Yay for recommending an Aussie product! I agree with you though about the smell of a chemical factory. They have got a “sensitive” Revitanail (name they use for it here)…..and that smells a little better and works just as well.

16. Heidi says:

Ruth, I did almost exactly the same thing only with OPI Nail Envy. Was excited for the first 2 days and applied as per instructions, forgot for numerous days after that and then applied Dior Incognito as I was desperate for some colour. Strip it all off after a further 2 days and start again. Very pleased to hear I’m not the only one that doesn’t follow instructions (and loves Dior Incognito)!

Love the blog btw.

17. Maggie says:

Thanks for this, Ruth. There are so many of these things on the market and, like you say, not particularly cheap so it is good to know of one that works. I find that even though I’m a good girl and always put on a base coat (Chanel Protective Base Coat) some colours still damage my nails. It saddens me to say that I suspect Chanel’s June, which I know you love too, has made them a bit yellow. Nail polish being what it is I guess it is unavoidable that damage will be done eventually?