A Model REcommends

When I want a really relaxing bath, I rely on my selection of lavender products. The selection is ever-changing because I’m always testing out something new, but here are some that are currently gracing the bathroom.

1) Aromatherapy Associates “Support” bath oil. This has been a firm fixture, actually, for the past couple of years. I’m on my last few drops, so I’ll be re-stocking very soon. I’ve tried loads of different Aromatherapy Associates bath and shower oils but this one is most definitely my favourite – it genuinely has an effect on my mind and body, making me feel more relaxed and positive. A great one to use before bedtime when you need to clear your mind and de-stress! (£37 with free delivery from FeelUnique.com)

2) Weleda Lavender Relaxing Bath Milk. This stuff is bloody incredible! I’m sad that I didn’t discover it sooner – I used up the entire bottle, pretty much, within about two weeks of opening it. Which isn’t a problem, because it’s brilliant value for money. This milk turns the bath into a proper, all-over treatment – I can’t get enough of it. £9.50 for a big bottle, with free delivery from FeelUnique.com as before.

3) Organic Surge Shower Gel. Not strictly lavender, as it has a fair whack of geranium in there too, but it fit nicely into my photo! A lovely, soothing body wash that’s free from harsh chemicals, it’s a great budget option. £3 from JohnLewis.com

4) Aveda Stress-Fix Soaking Salts. I reviewed the new Stress-Fix Body Lotion last month, and this is from the same range. These salts can be used as a body scrub as well as a bath soak – or, you could stand up in the bath and scrub with the salts before sitting down and relaxing in the water. A two-in-one treat! The scent is great and the ingredients have been well-sourced. The salts dissolve completely, so no crunchy gravel underneath your bottom when you’re trying to relax! £29 from Aveda.co.uk

All this talk of lavender is making me very sleepy – I may have to go and have a lie down! Any other sleep-time favourites out there? Tried and tested?

Share →

19 Responses to For a Sleepy Bathtime…

1. Sihouette says:

Hey Ruth,

the WELEDA bath truly is one of the best relaxing ones I ever tried. It’s the purest lavender scent and de-stresses me the most. Usually I use it during the winter time.
    In the German instructions it says to use only two lids/caps full of product for an entire bath, and the smell is amazing, but I didn’t find it to be too moisturizing or nurturing. So sometimes I add some extra body oil to the running bath, that helps!

I recently liked the “quiet mind” from Elemis, it has a smell of ho wood, patchouly and eucalyptus. It’s very thick (like honey), so very economic to use.

The “Dreamtime” Bathmelt from Lush is also a favourite of mine, the smell is a bit sweeter, but with all the containing butters it’s very nourishing.
    Same is “Ceridwen’s Cauldron”, it’s a bath melt full of butters with oats. But the smell is – although it’s very nice! – not the typically relaxing one you might be looking for.

As I’m addicted to taking a bath regularly, it’s a constant ritual for me to only take baths in candle light. Always! Might sound oh-so-romantic, but for me that also helps to really relax and calm down.

2. Ange says:

Origins Calm To Your Senses (lavender & vanilla) is bliss in a bottle!

3. Ina says:

I love Aveda products, and have been wanting to try the Stress-Fix line. Definitely will now! I highly recommend their Damage Remedy products, especially the daily heat protectant.

4. julie says:

Oh I also forgot to say tye the sock in a tight knot!

5. julie says:

I have one home remedy I am just in love with. I grab an old CLEAN sock and fill it with a handful of oatmeal, few pinches of baking soda, pinch of soaking salt (I think its called iodized?), and a few sprigs of dried lavender or chamomile (crunch them up inside). Toss it under the facet while the bath fills and enjoy natural relaxation. I use this as a bedtime soak rather than an actual bath. I stay in for about 20 minutes with some pandora relaxation music and a glass of wine.
    The sock can also be used as a lg scrubber

• Ruth says:

Julie that is absolutely genius! I especially like the glass of wine part…. xx

• upa says:

Julie, this is ingenious and a huge thanks! I KNOW I’m going to give this a go! (I’ll try almost anything in order to get sleep!) Again, Thanks!

And thanks to you too, Ruth. You know how much I love picking up information here and there, the “here” has an awful lot of info via your very addictive (though extremely informative) blog!

Found passport and that means I am indeed trying to figure out how to do two weeks worth of packed goods into a suitcase because it will get REALLY hot in Kuala Lumpur. I’m the World’s worst packer. BTW: Anyone familiar with where I can find a good mother-of-the-groom dress, tasteful, elegant but never dowdy, in KL? Any beauty products I should bring home with me?

6. Lydia says:

I love the AA Deep Relax bath oil, so I may have to give the Support version a go next time!

7. Michele says:

I def want to try the stress-fix =]

8. Ali says:

I love Organic Surge and Weleda. You couldn’t have chosen nicer brands for this subject.

Ali x

9. I LOVE my Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate. It’s not pure lavender, but rather an oil blend. It smells mostly of lavender though and I love it. It’s one of the only oils that doesn’t break me out. Sometimes if I’m having trouble sleeping, I’ll dab a few drops into my pillow to help me relax. And of course, no worries about getting it on your face!

10. Tora says:

I find the issue with sleepy-bathtime is that I can’t be bothered to get out of the bathtub to go to sleep. So it takes every gram of willpower I have (about six grams, let’s be honest) to tumble out of the bath and crawl into my bed.

I fell in the bath the other day, with a huuuge splash. But to my puzzlement there wasn’t water all over the place at all. Maybe a few droplets in the ceiling, but it would appear I am entirely aquadynamic. It is also one of my less graceful moments. Maybe I should get a lifeguard, could’ve bumped my head in! Wonder if captain America has the time… hmm

11. sophia says:

Hi Ruth!

My favourite bedtime ingredient is chamomile. I have a collection of Korres products and some Apivita.I am afraid people don’t like chamomile very much since it is used in baby shampoo etc. but when I need a good sleep I use chamomile oil on my skin instead of my regular cream.A few minutes massage and relaxation comes.Well if you cant live without your cream you could always mix it with some drops of essential oil!!