I used this little beauty of a mask when I was in Hamburg. I have done lots of flying recently and so I needed something high-powered to really get the moisture back into my skin. I had a modelling shoot for a German magazine called Freundin – I’ve worked for them quite a few times over the years, and I like to look my best for them! So, out of the emergency modelling skincare bag came…the Shu Uemura Red:juvenus Elasto-Vitalizing Stretchable Mask. Or, if you prefer a shorter name, it can be referred to as “The Skin I Live In”.

If you haven’t seen The Skin I Live In then you must. It’s pretty dark – directed by Pedro Almodóvar and starring Antonio Banderas, it’s about a really quite grotty little scenario involving plastic surgery, genitals and a rape that never happened. Anyway, check out my picture above and please compare to the picture below:

All I need is Antonio peering over my shoulder! Which, to be blunt, would have scared the crap out of me had it happened, as I was all on my ownsome in a Hamburg hotel. Also, old Tone looks a bit scary in the photo, I’m not sure I would have enjoyed him being in such close proximity. Especially knowing what he did to the poor person in the film….make sure you add it to your watch list! It’s a shocker..

Back to the mask. It’s brilliant! Saturated in about a litre of serum, so it’s not the easiest thing to get out of the packet. Mine slipped around all over the place, but I got Tony Banderas to hold onto one side whilst I positioned the other and got the eye holes in the right place. Once the eye holes were correct, the rest was a cinch. I thought that I’d have to lie down and wear it otherwise it’d fall off, but it stuck firmly to my skin, almost by suction, I suppose, because the serum isn’t at all sticky.

I felt like calling room service or something, but then realised that my hotel had neither a telephone in the room or room service (the two tend to go hand in hand) and so I had to make do with tweeting pictures and pretending that I had called room service, which was a total hoot. (Tumbleweed.)

I kept the mask on for about twenty-five minutes because it felt like a waste just to leave it on for ten. There was a cooling, slight tingling sensation for the first minute or so, and after that it was just extremely pleasant. I could actually feel my skin drinking up the moisture and the life returning to my face. I swear that this mask would cure the worst hangover – it would be great if you could get a full body version!

A full body version, you say? Well…. It kind of is, in a strange way. Because the mask is so saturated with product, there’s about 95% of it leftover when you take the mask away from the skin. You can literally squeeze the serum out and into your hand! I had enough to massage into my entire body and (is this gross?) I used the mask itself to wipe over my neck, feet and hands! Actually, that’s not gross, is it? Because my face was clean.. Anyway, you really can turn this mask into a full-body treatment. It would be a criminal offence just to chuck the mask into the bin with all of that miracle product leftover!

There’s 25ml of red:juvenus product soaked into every mask, so no wonder there’s so much leftover at the end! I must surely have read that wrong – that’s like half a full-size bottle of moisturiser! No, it definitely says 25ml. You get six masks in a pack (6x25ml) and the pack costs £56.

These masks are well worth the dosh – I shall be purchasing a full set, as I just had a one-off sample mask. Single-use masks are perfect for people who travel a lot as they take up virtually no space, yet it’s like having a full facial in one hit! Also great for models who feel like their skin is a bit ropey and they’re off to an important shoot or casting – the makeup artist on my Freundin shoot was overjoyed at how radiant my skin looked when I walked in, and the other model straight away wanted to know what I had done to my face!

Red:juvenus masks are available from Selfridges stores.

Share →

32 Responses to Shu Uemura Red:juvenus Elasto-Vitalizing Stretchable Mask

1. [...] I prefer the sheet masks that are saturated in beautifying product (Institut Esthederm patches, Shu Uemura masks) but these “dry” masks are wonderful for neat, hassle-free treatment. I kept the eye [...]

2. Claire says:

They dont seem to be available online? are they only instore?

3. Vera says:

would this be too much for combination skin prone to breakouts due to dehydration?
    I think my skin is a bit confusing: I’ve been on roacutane twice and it didn’t work (what I actually had was allergy to lactose) but I ended up with sensitive skin prone to dehydration (a lot!). Mostly, I never breakout with oils, be it Clarins, natural oils or even body oils (yes, I’ve been that desperate). I noticed my skin actually prefers oils to creams, When I breakout it’s never with oils, only with creams or serums (e.g. Origins) and only on my cheeks. I wonder if it’s because oils’ texture, easier to be absorbed by my skin…
    The big problem is that it looks like my skin can’t keep the moisture on, no matter how much product I use, it disappears in 15/30 mins and I start to feel dry and itchy. Winter and central heating is hell for my skin, and actually humid summers stop my breakouts (many people suffer the opposite effect in humid climates).
    Do you think could still try this mask to help with dehydrated skin or it might make me breakout because it’s based on a serum? This sounds silly, but do you know any mask in oil? I don’t even go to dermatologists any more, me and my liver are fed up with useless antibiotics!

• Ruth says:

Yes, give the antibiotics a rest! OK, let me think about this. I haven’t *heard* of an oil-based mask, but I’m thinking that maybe it’s the type of creams you’re using that break you out? Did you try that La Roche Posay Compensating cream that I featured a couple of weeks ago? And also, have you tried Pai? xx

4. Jennifer says:

haha, omg I nearly spit out my tea when I read the line: “All I need is Antonio peering over my shoulder!” Immediately, I had this vision of Señor Banderas stood behind you; you donning the Shu sheet mask. LOL…too funny (not to mention sufficiently disturbing)!

5. Audrey says:

Haha! Thanks for the article, the picture made me laugh out loud, and Im just about to order a pair of the shu uemura eyelash curlers, so maybe I’ll get the mask as well. Oh what serendipity, thanks Ruth Crilly!

6. Ali says:

I’ve done that with masks – wiped them over my neck chest and hands. Why not. They are usually dripping with product. As you say, your face is clean and it’s borderline criminal to waste a drop of premium product like that. I’ve heard of that movie, but haven’t seen it. Must ask hubster to have a look for it.

Ali

7. I’ve always wanted to try one of these cloth masks and this Shu one sounds so luxurious and amazing! I really must make an online Shu purchase already–I’ve put it off way too long

8. Upa says:

I’ve been hoping to try a facial mask like this, that is, the single-use kind. When I get to the other side of the planet (KL) I’ll have to look for something like this. I especially like that you can later smear the serum onto the rest of your skin. Thanks, Ruth!

9. Jen says:

Great review! Super descriptive and comical (*Tony Banderas*, lol). I also love using sheet masks (Missha and Skin Food have great ones too) and have recently started using the Shu Red Juvenus Retexturizing Cream- so this looks like the best of both worlds! And great tip about applying the excess serum as a body treatment- I would have never thought of that :)

10. Julie says:

i’m totally buying these masks to get the compliments XD i looked up on google. there’s face mask as cheap as 1.99$!!! would it be better if i invest on them instead? It’s really weird. There’s every flavour: cucumber, blueberry, red ginger, pearl??

11. sayaka says:

You should try the Sk-II ones! I like them better

12. Kim says:

“but I got Tony Banderas to hold onto one side whilst I positioned the other”
    Hahahaha! I have a Pedro Almodovar boxset, I’ll have to check if that film is in it.
    I have a box of similar face masks from Hong Kong and had a plumping/nice effect with them. I also took phone pictures of my scary face which is an essential part of any face mask/treatment these days!
    Great post!

13. David Cropper says:

The only sheet masks I’ve used were the MyFaceWorks which came with an assortment of masks. I always, ALWAYS wipe it on my arms when I’m done and even the package. The ingredients in it are unfortunately much more like a nice toner than serum though. I cannot remember whether you tried the SK-II sheet masks as well, but I would hope the Shu Uemura is better!

14. Cath says:

I just read about the movie on wiki. It’s very very sickening. =.=”

15. Cath says:

“Asian” masks are like that!!! n_n I wanted to send you a variety to try but you didn’t give me a postal address. =P

• Ruth says:

Did you?! When did you ask for an address Cath? xx

• Cath says:

Hee… It was at your FB page. But it’s okay… It was probably buried among the tonnes of comments that flood in! I found a PO box address on this website. Can I send small packages to it? n_n

• Chitra says:

Hi Cath
      I am going home to Malaysia soon and was looking for someone who kow anything about these Asian face masks – do you know where I can find out more so I can stock up when I am there?! Thank you!
      Chitra

16. Sam says:

This looks amazing – being about to be on teh wrong side of 34 (eek!) I feel I need to hydrate the old boat race as much as possible!!! However, I have really sensitive skin, so do you know whether I can get a sample of the mask, rather than buying the full set and finding that it upset my “balance”?!

• Ruth says:

Hmmm, don’t think so Sam.. I was sent this as a press sample, but I can’t think how you’d get one as a single. Ebay? x

17. sounds amazing! i wanna try one now!