Face of the (other) Day..

Summer Model Face Urban Decay

This was my “face of the day” the other day. Not today, not yesterday, but just on “a” day. “The” day. What a silly term this “face of the day” is! If I was talking about my true “face of the day” it would probably be brows furrowed and squinting eyes as I try for the thirtieth time to read an email on my tiny iPhone screen.

I digress. I used the above photograph as a starting point for my latest makeup video – I haven’t recreated the look exactly, but I’ve used the same Urban Decay shadow palette and BB Cream (details below the video pane). The makeup, I think, looks much nicer in natural light – I really think that I’m going to start changing the way I film my videos! It’s all a bit…well…beige at the moment.

I’ll go into more detail about BB Creams soon – for me, the jury’s still out on them to be quite honest. I like this one from Too Faced, but I’m not sure whether I like it any better than my usual tinted moisturisers!

Urban Decay Shadows in Walk of Shame, X and Snakebite: http://tidd.ly/ea28bef5

Build-your-own palette, including “Walk of Shame”: http://tidd.ly/1cf436cf

Givenchy Healthy Glow Powder: http://tidd.ly/453a8b97

Stageline “Glow Up” Gloss: http://www.stageline.co.uk

L’Oreal Telescopic Mascara: http://tidd.ly/4a00763e

Tom Ford Eyeliner

Too-Faced BB Cream: http://tidd.ly/4b61b3a3

Nail Polish is from Butter London, shade is Lillibet’s Jubilee: http://tinyurl.com/bulw3fu

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. June 25, 2012 / 6:47 am

LOVE this look Ruth–the hair and makeup and everything (but especially your hair. It’s so shiny and bouncy and pretty–pretty much everything that my hair isn’t). The makeup is really nice and neutral and highlights your natural beauty.

• Ruth
      June 25, 2012 / 9:28 am

Thanks Becca! x

2. Liza Hamilton-Smith
    June 25, 2012 / 9:54 am

Loved it!! Have you tried the smashbox bb cream?? I am wondering which one (too faced or smashbox)gives you a nicer dewy finish

• Ruth
      June 25, 2012 / 10:03 am

Oooh, no! I didn’t know that they had one! xx

• Liza Hamilton-Smith
        June 25, 2012 / 11:56 am

Yes it is new! If you happen to try it I would love to hear your comments and preference! I tried already and the MA just looked at me thinking I must be insane with half my face with one bb cream and half my face the other ( it was quite funny actually) anyway I couldn’t decide which one gives you a nicer glow

3. June 25, 2012 / 12:35 pm

I use ‘the other day’ to mean anything from ‘the day before yesterday’ to ‘two and a half years ago’. Useful phrase, that.

4. Love in a mist
    June 25, 2012 / 1:59 pm

Loved the look, love urban decay shadows! This palette is such a good idea!
    I’ve finally found two good BB creams that are good for paler skin, cliniques BB cream SPF 30, now available fom Boots online only though I think, lots of shades to choose from, very nice, and my most reacent find Ultimate BB Cream SPF25 by Iroisie, really nice, fab coveredge and lovely dewy finish on skin, abit pricy though at £29.90 for only 15ml, but it’s ingredients are superb lots of botanicals etc, I think you’d like it Ruth.
    Really looking foreward to your thoughts on BB creams :-) Xx

• Ruth
      June 25, 2012 / 4:08 pm

Thanks L-i-a-Mist, I shall give the Clinique a try! xx

5. June 25, 2012 / 4:11 pm

been eye-ing up the too faced take on BB cream.. like to now your verdict on that :) i like this down to earth beauty look on you.. suits you sir ( err sorry madam )

Priya x

6. kli
    June 25, 2012 / 7:18 pm

you should try the Omorovicza BB cream. it’s very light, does’t look you have any make up on, but the skin looks glowy and not oily at all. Doesnt clog my pores either(wich is pecular, as my pores get clogged even with water almost lol).

i would love to see an updated summer skincare routine, where u might explain whether or not you still use glicolic, and if yes how do you handle protection and eventual weekends at the seaside…

• Ruth
      June 25, 2012 / 8:13 pm

Yep, I reviewed it a while ago! x

7. Rebekah
    June 25, 2012 / 8:04 pm

I tried Clinque’s BB cream today and so far I’m luving it. Of course it is the first BB cream I’ve ever tries but I do believe it is a step up from my normal tinted moisturizer. :)

8. flick
    June 29, 2012 / 12:24 am

Such a pretty floral top (or jacket?) you’re wearing in the first photo – could you link please?? x

• Ruth
      June 29, 2012 / 9:19 am

It’s from Forever21 x

9. flick
    June 30, 2012 / 1:28 am

right, I’ll have to track this down … even if it means getting lost in the forever21 website for, well, forever. x

10. Monica
    July 4, 2012 / 4:29 am

I love the way you do your makeup you make it seem so simple wow!!!

11. Monica
    July 4, 2012 / 4:30 am

is COVER EXPERT BYTERRY GOOD FOR A OILY ROSACEA ACNE PRONE SKIN? I REALLY WANT TO TRY IT PLEASE ANY ADVICE?

• Ruth
      July 4, 2012 / 5:45 pm

Maybe you’d need to use a primer beneath, something mattifying.. x