The Difference Between Men and Women.

A Model Recommends Ruth Crilly

This is my beside table at the hotel we stayed in last weekend. I haven’t checked this photo extensively, so I’m hoping that there’s nothing weird/rude/untoward going on. I’m pretty sure that I left the bondage gear and nipple tassles at home… But just take note of the amount of different things I have managed to cram onto such a small table – water, tissues, a whole makeup bag, headache tablets, powders, hairbrush, perfume….

And then take a look at Mr AMR’s side table:

© 2016 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers will usually be affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Turnipbites
    June 29, 2012 / 6:51 am

I absolutely love your humor(: xx
    I think I also left my nipple tassels at home once, oh the horror! Haha, i quite enjoyed this post. Probably more than I should have. :D

2. Ana
    June 29, 2012 / 7:11 am

Oh my god. Thank you so much for the 8 AM laugh.

3. June 29, 2012 / 7:16 am

The amount of effort we ladies go through, just to look presentable. Sigh. Men are definitely luckier than us in this department.

4. Gemma Raby
    June 29, 2012 / 7:17 am

My husbands bedside table resembles that, except he would also have packet of twiglets or pork scratchings for urgent, healthy conscious midnight snacking

• Ruth
      June 29, 2012 / 9:17 am

HA!

5. Love in a mist
    June 29, 2012 / 7:17 am

Haha, hilarious! Exactly, women across the land will be nodding in agreement!
    This is pretty much what my dressing table looks like ( but more products and more messy!) by Monday even though it has a tidy up and I put everything away every Sunday lol!
    My hubbie would ( and has in the past) wash his face and whole body in fairy liquid if given half a chance lol! Bless him!

• Ruth
      June 29, 2012 / 9:17 am

Same with mine – shower gel for all purposes! x

6. June 29, 2012 / 7:50 am

I get no end of dirty looks about the size and weight of “our” toiletries bag whenever we travel :-S
    At home…he has a small bedside cabinet that’s surface looks like your husbands…
    I…on the other hand,have the entire top of a rather large chest of drawers…and all the bathroom cabinet…
    and the bottom drawer of said chest of drawers…but that one’s a secret…shhh!
    I wish there were tiny miniatures of every single product!

• Ruth
      June 29, 2012 / 9:16 am

Ha! Same here. My toiletries take up most of the house! x

7. Martina
    June 29, 2012 / 7:51 am

Oh, but we need much more stuff!

8. Weng
    June 29, 2012 / 7:59 am

Oh my goodness, that does look extremely familiar! Do I dare say that that looks like my dressing table at home on a regular basis? I can just pile up so much at a time, let alone at a hotel! I spot some very similar items on your table like I have on mine such as the Dior bronzer, Dior lipstick, headache pills and water and cotton buds… oh the list goes on! On my husband’s side I only see his watch and the telephone charger… It must be some skills that us ladies “acquire”!

9. June 29, 2012 / 8:37 am

Love it :D
    It’s almost eerie!

10. June 29, 2012 / 9:31 am

There really is a huge difference. Its hilarious. Does heever ask about ‘all’ your stuff?

• Ruth
      June 29, 2012 / 9:38 am

No, it’s my job, so he can’t complain! x

11. Helen
    June 29, 2012 / 10:05 am

That’s so funny! I love how lonely the can of fanta looks!! :D

• Ruth
      June 29, 2012 / 11:11 am

Lonely Fanta, all by himself… x

12. MakeUpNaive
    June 29, 2012 / 10:48 am

Mines got eyeglasses, bottled mineral water for quick thirst quencher at night, comb and of course my handy dandy Chapstick lip balm. Anywhere else where theres a woman you will always bound to find cosmetics

13. June 29, 2012 / 11:54 am

ahaha two different worlds!
    I can’t stop laughing XD
    You’re super, Ruth!!!

xoxo
    Valens

14. June 29, 2012 / 11:55 am

So true Ruth! Love this

15. June 29, 2012 / 1:56 pm

Ha! Ain’t that the truth. I went on vacation with my boyfriend over the holidays, and my night table was a disaster (sunscreen, mascara, advil, ear plugs, books, jewelry) and his was clean, except for a lone chapstick ;)

It’s also funny- when I look at your night table here, I don’t think “what a mess!”, I think “ooh, look at all those beauty goodies!” :)

Funny post!

16. Anna G.
    June 29, 2012 / 2:25 pm

Oh Ruth,that was a really spot on post!Seriously,how do out stuff manage to mix themselves up so much?:P Really,we could have all the space in the world and it would never be enough to store toiletries in…Oh,the difficulties of life…

17. June 29, 2012 / 2:26 pm

I don’t think you’re alone in this Ruth! Thankfully after much nagging, I intervened my boyfriend’s routine with face wash, exfoliator, a facial brush and two types of moisturiser. He only listened because his acne was terrible.. I presume he uses them! Ha x

18. MariaBent
    June 29, 2012 / 4:35 pm

Not quite so many things on my night table, just lip balm, tissues, glass, water and (always) a book, but…I have a whole “dressing” room for my cosmetics, etc. In hotels I tend to take possession of the table/desk that most rooms have.
    Like Mr.Weng’s, Mr.B’s side definitely has a telephone charger, plus coins, passport and driver’s license that somehow always seem to get out of his wallet:))

19. LilyM
    June 29, 2012 / 6:20 pm

Your post literally made me laugh out loud :D

20. June 29, 2012 / 6:43 pm

This is why women are just more interesting. I love having a snoop through someone else’s health and beauty products.

Ali

• Ruth
      June 30, 2012 / 11:56 am

Haha! Yeah, snooping a man’s toiletries bag would be CRAP! x

21. Nadia
    June 29, 2012 / 6:44 pm

Ruth I love your messy side table!! lol at the fanta can, such a massive difference:D

22. Eve
    June 29, 2012 / 10:43 pm

That’s very funny
    Although my poor partner does not even own a bed side table as it never even crossed my mind that he might need one
    A touch megan I’m thinking
    But maybe true !! X

23. Julie
    June 30, 2012 / 1:48 am

Perfect!! And so true. My husband and I each have our own bathrooms where we keep our respective products. Mine is so full (overflowing) and his so empty that I have begun storing some of my stuff in his cabinets :)

24. June 30, 2012 / 7:10 am

Thank you for making me feel better about my nightstand, especially compared to my husband’s! He thinks I’m alone in putting so many things next to me in bed…and I keep telling him that it’s normal. LOL! Validation from you and your readers are so sweet!
    And yes, Maria, always a book or two, WITH the kindle! :)

25. madii
    June 30, 2012 / 2:42 pm

Ruth :D Made me laugh! Are you ever going to tell us anything about Mr AMR? Is he a “normal” bloke or is he someone known like you? I’ve been following your e-mails and blog practically ever since you started and I think you’re doing a great job! Maybe I won’t be buying a swimsuit from net a porter (more from the likes of h&m) but it’s always cool to read about such beautiful places, hotels, clothes, skin care etc that I can’t afford you know, just to see what’s out there. Maybe in 10 years… I’m 26 now, my girl is going to kindergarten in September so hopefully I’ll be able to get a job finally and start pampering myself a little. Anyway. Thanks! :)

• Ruth
      July 2, 2012 / 1:24 pm

It’s not that Mr AMR is “secret” so to speak, but he works with lots of celebrities and very famous people, and it’s just easier to keep him separate! Maybe one day I’ll force him to appear in a video!!!! x

26. Nikita
    June 30, 2012 / 5:08 pm

Haha I love it! Hilarious! It’s all the more funny since you’ve let the last picture speaking for itself ;)

27. Joyce77
    June 30, 2012 / 7:19 pm

Oh my goodness, this is so funny! Your bedside table resembles mine in my house and in a hotel room.

28. flick
    July 3, 2012 / 1:09 am

Ah yes I have a bureau in my “office” for my “office things”, which is (secretly) completely stacked with containers of cosmetics. There is a book on top of the bureau however (the perfect crime!).

• Ruth
      July 3, 2012 / 9:14 am

Ha! Nice disguise..

29. Hilarious, Ruth! …and so true! “All of this” doesn’t just happen by itself! :) Love it! XO

30. Shanti
    April 11, 2013 / 11:12 am

Ha ha! What is that white thing on Mystery AMR’s side?