Emergency Breakout Routine!

Posted · 61 Comments

Model Skincare Tips

By “breakout routine” I am not referring to any kind of dancing. Whatsoever. I’m really quite an odd dancer – I’m not sure whether I can even call what I do when I dance dancing. It’s more a series of weird jerks and body rolls with an embarrassed, self-conscious grin stuck to my face. Whenever Mr AMR needs a good laugh, he gets me to do a dance. I could probably join the circus freak-show with my dancing!

Where am I going with this? Oh yes – breakout routine. This is my skincare routine for when I feel a spot beginning to form its evil little pustulating body beneath my skin. I treat spots a bit like I’d treat rats down the drainpipe – tackle them early, before they can spread, and pour as many killer-ingredients on them as I can possibly muster! Joke.

The video is pretty self-explanatory – it takes you through my whole skincare routine for when I need to get rid of rats, fast. SPOTS, I meant! Ha, I’ll leave that in, just so you can see how painful my editing process usually is. God. I don’t know where my head is at today!

So yes, the video will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about my regime for treating spots and blemishes, but I’m also going to link to some of my new categories that I’ve been creating. The first is “cleansers” in which you can see all of the cleansers that I’ve reviewed. The second is “blemishes“, and that contains posts about anything spot-related. I’m trying to form categories for all product reviews so that when I launch a new menu system you can find everything really easily.

Links to all the products are below the video pane – makeup was the same as in the June Faves video, I think.

Alpha-H Clear Skin Cleanser: http://tidd.ly/a7ebdcd2

Omorovicza Deep Cleansing Maskhttp://tinyurl.com/c7f6cgq

Murad AHA Cleanser: http://tidd.ly/4ffc1e69

Dr Nick Lowe Spot Gel: http://tidd.ly/b9a31109

Dr Perricone Super Activating Lotion: http://tidd.ly/e7c91a0b

Manuka Doctor Serum: http://tidd.ly/150b4ab1

Alpha-H Clear Skin Gel: http://tidd.ly/d2eb43b4

Vichy Normaderm Anti-Age: http://tidd.ly/4f2e4702

MD Formulations Anti-Oxidant Gel: http://tidd.ly/a208cdda

Dr Hauschka Normalising Oil: http://tidd.ly/a848c9df

Cover FX Clear Prep Primer: http://tidd.ly/a7dad87f

Murad SPF15 Mattifier: http://tidd.ly/852bfa1

Omorovicza Concealer Pencil: http://tidd.ly/d031fc42

Shiseido Concealer Pencil: http://tidd.ly/6effd75d

Foundation: discontinued unless you can find in Boots stores! Sorry, didn’t know.

Estee Lauder Matte Primer: http://tidd.ly/af13b6a5

Good Things Miracle Mattifier: http://tidd.ly/8ee6346

Alpha-H Liquid Gold: http://tidd.ly/7288363

Tisserand All-Over Wash: http://tidd.ly/3f8cf902

Dior Bikini Nail Polish: http://tidd.ly/39bed46b

Link to Deep Cleansing Mask Video: http://youtu.be/Glwc1qS6VcU

61 Responses to "Emergency Breakout Routine!"
  1. Cultrumanti says:

Ruth! I have quite oily, sensitive and acne prone skin so i have been on the hunt to find something to cure this. Any acne cream, face wash or moisturiser breaks me out except cetaphil gentle cleanser and herbal remedies. I recently purchased Alpha H liquid gold in the hope it would be my HG. I used it twice, but found by the end of the week i had a horrible breakout around my chin area.. do you know if this product is meant to do this initally? I’m not sure if i should stick with it or stop using it… !

2. Hannah says:

Hi Ruth, I have been trying the alpha-H balancing cleanser recently and really love it! I am keen to try some of their other products and have been recommended the clear skin wash, the clear skin gel and the advanced hydration cream to help my sensitive break out prone skin. Do you think it would be too much for me to add the liquid gold in there? lovin your beauty updates! X

3. Qim says:

Hello Ruth can I know what Cleanser and Moisturizer do you use in conjunction with the Alpha H Liquid Gold? :) xx

4. Claire says:

Thanks Ruth! Keep up the good work :-) x

5. Claire says:

Hi Ruth
    Thanks for this post / video. I previously found it really hard to get unbiased skin car advice. I normally have at least one spot and a red marks where spots have been and I’ve just stated my second tube of La Roche-Posay Effaclar K – Daily Renewal Fluid For Oily Skin. I have found this to work wonders and has greatly reduced my oily tzone but now am feeling like my skin needs a bit more hydration even though it is oily. Can you recommend anything that’s hydrating but light for my sort of skin? Sorry if is a hard one! X

6. Lizandra says:

Hi Ruth,

Just have a question for you, i recently started using the Liquid Gold at nights and completely adore it, but just was looking at this blog and capture my attention the Vichy Normadern Anti-Age mosturizer. Can I use this mosturizer during the day even though I use the liquid gold at night. Just wanted to see if my blackhead problem reduces by using this product as well. Especially when that time of the month comes.

• Ruth says:

Personally I wouldn’t, because you don’t want to overdo things. LG is designed to be used once every couple of nights because that’s the optimum amount for most skin… I think you can use the Normaderm more frequently, so you could give the LG a rest for a while and see how you get on with the Vichy? I would be interested to know your findings! x

7. Yulia says:

Hey Ruth))) love your videos))
    i have question my skin is dry and i have clogged pores and i dont know what are good products like a cleanser or mask to help get rid off clogged pores. Please help me

8. Daniela says:

Hi Ruth,

By chance, have you tried the EH, Facial Detox Purifying Facial Mask? If so,just wondering what your thoughts were?

I have some acne scaring and am prone to cystic breakouts (chin and cheeks).

BTW, I have tried the AHA Cream cleanser with Aloe and adore it. Perhaps I will venture out and order the Liquid Gold Mask as it looks intriguing.

Thanks!
    D.

9. jess says:

Hi! Just wondering how many times a week do you use liquid gold? I am currently using 3 times a week and then sundays I use a manual exfoliant (pai) and a mask.
    x

10. quya says:

Hi ruth great post.Just a quick question I am thinking of purchasing the omorovicza copper peel.Have u tried it?If you have, what are your thoughts on it?xx

11. thanks for sharing, really useful!

12. Erin says:

Also Ruth, have you tried out the Aztec Indian Healing Clay mask? I’ve heard rave reviews of it when mixed with apple cider vinegar…maybe it is only popular in the US.

13. Helen says:

Heya Ruth,

that Super prep bottle from Perricone has got me interested and I’ve researched the ingredients and most of them seem fine, except for the Benzyl Alcohol which is an irritant. But the thing is, this bottle has other calming ingredients and I’m wondering how did you find it when you put it on your skin? Does it sting and irritate your spots?

After your review of Etat Pur I’ve ordered a couple of things and I’m using those little shots for problem areas. The one I have right now is the A21 Salicylic Acid in 70mg. Whilst it’s doing a good job in controlling my outbreaks (just had those spots from time of the month) and minimising my pores, I think I need something a little stronger. So after using this I might try that Super prep if you think it doesn’t irritate your skin!

Sorry if it doesn’t sound so eloquent, my brain is partially frozen after researching for this hideous essay of mine!!

Thank you!

• Ruth says:

I don’t find it irritating, but it does tingle a little. Sometimes alcohol is necessary to “deliver” other ingredients – it’s in Liquid Gold too. HOw about the Paula’s Choice BHA too, that’s pretty strong as far as I know? xx

• Helen says:

I was also looking into that aswell and I’m leaning towards getting the 2% to minimise my pores and control the cystic acne around my nose! It’s a little cheaper than Super’s which comes in a whopping 100mls!! That will certainly last me ages! I tried looking at the volume for that Super skin prep but it only comes in grams.. Does it say anywhere on your bottle what the volume is? Another gripe about beauty products; WHY USE GRAMS FOR SOMETHING THAT IS VISCOUS?! Lush does it aswell, annoys the pedantic arse out of me! :p Thank you so much for helping me :D

• Ruth says:

Haha! Yes, very true. Is it a US thing? I think it is…though that’s usually Fl OZ, the Super is 118ml
          x

14. Jamie says:

great video! have you ever tried renee rouleau anti-cyst treatment (for “under-the-skin” type spots) or dermadoctor ain’t misbehavin serum (it’s supposed to be somehow formulated specifically for hormonal breakouts)?

15. Erin says:

I apologize for the influx of absolutely obsessive sounding posts, but I’m a girl who knows little to nothing about skincare, really, apart from what I’ve learned from reading your posts. I don’t have anyone else to turn to (nobody I know really gives two-cents about complexion care!) and you seem to be extremely well informed. I’m building my skincare arsenal and am wavering between purchasing the Alpha-H Balancing Cleanser, the NuBo Cell Dynamic Velvet Cleanser, and the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish. I’ve received a Clarisonic as a gift as well and am going to begin using it. I’m a teenager who only has breakouts around that time of month (or maybe one or two apart from that), though I’ve probably already said this fifteen or so times. Just checking to see what your opinion is, but as everyone’s skin differs I don’t expect you to be 100% accurate in the appropriate choice for me, I just know you know more than I do. I’d appreciate it very much. I’m also putting in an order for the Alpha-H Liquid Gold when I do purchase one of the aforementioned cleansers – I’ve read 100s of reviews and they all seem very positive!

Sorry again for how ignorant and bordering on insane I sound,
    Erin

• Ruth says:

Not at all Erin, I totally understand where you’re coming from! Why don’t you start with the Alpha-H balancing, as that’s a nice one to use with the Clarisonic too. Don’t go overboard with the Clarisonic use – I wouldn’t use it on the Liquid Gold nights!
      xx

• Erin says:

Thanks for the patience and the speedy replies. I’m going to buy the Alpha-H Balancing Cleanser & Liquid Gold today as well as some muslin cloths. I’m planning on using the Clarisonic 2-3 times a week, especially to start off – I’m actually petrified of the initial breakout period. Thanks again, can’t wait to drop my foaming, bone-dry-and-flaky-face-leaving cleanser!

• Ruth says:

Good luck Erin, tell us how you get on! x

• Erin says:

I definitely will – who knows, if all works out maybe someone else with my same skin type will have a little skincare regimen revamp. Another quick question – what mask would you recommend? My main concerns are my occasional hormonal blemishes and my lack of brightness and smoothness – I basically have a coating of dull, dead skin over my face, which is most likely also contributing to blocked pores (but I could be wrong!) I guess I’m probably looking for two different kinds in order to tackle both the dull and dryness issue and the occasional blemishes issue, and I trust your recommendation (as many seem to)!

• Ruth says:

Alpha H Liquid Gold mask – I basically use Liquid Gold to solve every skin woe! xx

• Erin says:

And you needn’t publish this, but I don’t feel bad paying a very high price for very high quality, so “affordable” not-so-good choices needn’t be your concern in your recommendations to me (if you even respond to my mask request, I’d understand if you are tired of the incessant questioning! Sure you have better things to worry about that a teens skin woes).

16. kli says:

the only thing that works for me on spot is the “panoxyl aquagel” . benzoyl peroxide is the only proven chemical that actually kills the acne vulgaris virus. it works best on a open or squeezed blemish (as the active ingredient arrives quickly) and in a matter of hours the swalling and inflamation are gone. no blemish ever survived this!!!!

• kli says:

it’s personal experience. i tried many blemish on spot tretments, like the vichy… laroche posay, garnier, pure teatree oil and other weird potions…but nothing actually kills the blemish as the panoxyl. did u ever tryd it?

17. Cackers says:

Hi Ruth,

I love your eyeshadow and nail polish in this video, any ideas what you are wearing?

Thanks x

18. ellie says:

this is great!! just came home and realised i had 3 spots!!! xx

19. Farah says:

Hi Ruth,
    I use Paula’s Choice 2% BHA on regular basis. And tempted to try AHA products. Would you recommend Paula’s choice 10% AHA or Liquid Gold? Is it okay to use cleanser with AHA, and use another AHA product after? Thanx!

• Ruth says:

Oh, just wrote a long reply to this and it has disappeared! Yes, OK to do that as AHAs in cleanser will hardly be on skin for any time at all. Obviously proceed with caution at first! And don’t use Clarisonic before or anything too “scrubby”. x

• Farah says:

Owwww.. that’s too bad your reply disappeared. =( thanx for the advice! I shall try that!

20. Love in a mist says:

a couple of weeks ago, it might have got rejected maybe as I noticed yesterday my email address my iPhone remembers in the comments form had one letter wrong, obviously it’s been like that for months lol!
    anyway shall I send it again via the contact page, or I could send it via this comment section and you could just not publish it if you liked, I’m easy either way :-) xx

• Ruth says:

If it’s easiest just reply to this comment and I’ll see it when I go through over the weekend! Thanks so much – the correct email, should you want to get to me directly, is contact, and then “at” and then “a model recommends” dot com. xx

21. Love in a mist says:

Really liked this video, love how you are sooo normal and down to earth about spots lol!
    Good arsenal of products there, already love the Dr nick Lowe gel, must get the manuka doctor serum :-)
    Just wondering did you ever receive my message about Lidermi Skincare via the contact page? Thanks xx

22. Kim says:

Whenever I need a good laugh, I come to your blog. I love your writing!

23. MissTopsyTurvy says:

Great video, Ruth, always interesting to see which skincare bits and bobs you use to keep your skin in tip-top condition. You’ll be pleased yo know (I think) that I’ve finally decided to purchase the Alpha-H Liquid Gold after your rave rewievs. I’m hoping it will help with some slight acne scarring and, quite frankly, I’m just curious to know what all the fuss is about, ha! :)

24. Pia says:

Very useful video – the Mr Bear interruption was funny :)
    I’m 22 years old with normal/combination skin (that tends to get a bit dry around the nose) and was wondering if you think it’s too early for me to incorporate Alpha-H Liquid Gold into my skincare routine? I was thinking of getting it and using it once or twice per week.

• Ruth says:

No, not too early – it can’t do any harm. It depends on what your concerns are, really! x

25. Denise says:

Great post (as usual). I’d like to ask a question regarding Alpha-H’s Liquid Gold. I can’t seem to make it work. Would you mind explaining what cleanser and toner you use before putting liquid gold?

Have a great day.
    Denise.

26. Jana says:

Have you ever tried any Jan Marini products? Her Bioglycolic line literally cleared my skin – I suddenly developed acne all over my cheeks at 27/28 and fast forward till now (a year later) and I am totally blemish free, consistently. I couldn’t recommned her stuff highly enough.. although they are on the pricier side! :)

27. Anne Cathrine says:

Hi,

just wondering if you have any recommendations for a post workout skin care routine? Especially in regards to avoiding breakouts. I have never really got my head around whether skin needs a thorough cleanse after a workout to remove sweat and whatever it brings up to the surface or if the act of sweating sort of cleanses the skin so all you need is a mild cleanse in order not to aggrevate the skin further. If I am at all making myself clear…

And FYI, I am not one of those ladies who leave the gym with the same makeup as I wore coming in. I see tips for touching up make up post workout and I think “what??!!”. How is it possible to have makeup last through a spinning class and even if there was some left, surely you would want to wash your face?

Love amodelrecommends, and your writing style, and am working my way through the archives. It’s proving costly though :-D

• Ruth says:

Haha! Yes, people who just powder over their sweaty makeup?! I would do a thorough cleanse after a workout, using a rinse-off cleanser. If there’s no time then at least a cleansing water or lotion followed by a water rinse. The cool water splash at the end will be nice and refreshing too! I would be tempted to do a “morning” routine after the gym – so cleanse, and then get dressed etc etc, then hopefully skin will be cooled down and ready for some lovely light moisturiser! xx

28. Maggie says:

This post is a God send, thanks Ruth. It is actually quite hard to find products that deal with adult breakouts but aren’t too harsh. The anti-blemish anti-ageing combo of liquid gold has really helped my skin. The Vichy Norma Derm washes are also good and refreshing. Something I found randomly that goes in this category under budget buys (c.£9) is the Boots Botanics ‘shine away matifying day cream’. V simple, no strong smells, just sinks in and keeps skin mat. Has SPF 15 too and ‘clarifying willowbark’ apparently. Good for hot weather and that time of the month. Mxox

Comments are closed.