Sunday Tittle Tattle

Posted · 8 Comments

1) I know I said that I wouldn’t really mention beauty subscription boxes again – until something new happened, at least – but I was delighted to see that JolieBox had managed to get some Institut Esthederm samples included. I really do think think that Institut Esthederm make some of the best suncare going – you can read my guide to their products here. Samples are a brilliant way to be introduced to a brand and these are probably the best samples I have seen in any of the boxes so far – and I’m pleased because I can stick them in my handbag!

2) Thanks so much to Fashion Bloodhound for an absolutely gorgeous little write-up on me and A Model Recommends. Grazzie has been reading my beauty posts and then spending far too much money buying things- you can read all about her beauty shopping exploits (all my fault, apparently) here: http://www.fashionbloodhound.com/blog/what-grazzie-bought-23-07/

3) Another little mention (my ego is inflating as I write, hohoho) by I Drive Vintage, who has accurately predicted that it would take about 10 million hours to read all the posts on this site. To that I say: try re-writing them all when your site gets hacked! I’ve done about 2 million hours and am only 30% of my way through the archives! You can read her post here: http://idrivevintage.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/struth.html

4) I made a cheeky little guest appearance in Pixiwoo‘s video this week – we were in the Chanel Pop-Up for an exclusive first look. Before the press, even! The girls did an amazing 70’s eye look with Illusion d’Ombre (and you know how I love a bit of Mirifique) and a beautiful red gloss. You can see that video below!

5) As you read this, I am en route to Greece for a week’s hols. Please don’t be sad/angry/offended if your comment lies unpublished for a while, I am intending to actually take some time off for once! So no laptop. Though we’ll see how long that lasts.. I have 10,000 words to write for an MA submission, so I must try and focus. SOME HOLIDAY!

8 Responses to "Sunday Tittle Tattle"
  1. Claire Dorothy says:

I really love your blog Ruth, but you should really not be advocating skincare brands that make claims about sun protection that are completely unsubstantiated scientifically. Sun damage causes cancer and aging. There are products out there that can protect you and they ALL have an SPF rating and contain either a chemical sunscreen or physical sun block. I, like all your readers, trust your opinions very much, but please don’t lead us astray on a health issue as important as this.

• Ruth says:

Which brands would they be?

• Claire Dorothy says:

Institut Esthederm has some great products that contain sunscreens, but their adaptasun line suggests that you can get a “safe” or “healthy” tan. A tan is skin damage no matter if you get it outdoors or in a tanning bed or while using their product http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/03/is-there-such-a-thing-as-a-healthy-tan/. Their technology can be patented without being shown effective, and I am unaware of any peer reviewed medical studies that back up the claims they make. I’m afraid people will think they are protected when they really aren’t. Skin cancer really sucks. Thanks!

• Ruth says:

Sorry that I took so long to get back to you, have been on hols! We may have to agree to disagree here – there are LOADS of SPF brands talking about a safe or healthy tan, and if no tan is a safe tan then they are ALL in the wrong. I have tried the IE extensively and have no financial gain (or otherwise) from writing about them, I rate them because they have worked fantastically well for me. I always refer back to my proper write-up because it’s true that they are not “for everyone” but I always stress that they’re not your standard suncare and need a little more reading up to see if they suit. Hope I have answered adequately? I’m as concerned about skin cancer as the next person, so I do hope that I come across that way! x

• Claire Dorothy says:

I appreciate your reply! I don’t think we have to disagree at all. Whatever other brands promise a safe suntan are also offenders. We are all obviously entitled to live our lives as we please and I don’t begrudge someone their natural glow in summer, but everyone should know the risks associated with sun-exposure. If there were a product that allowed tanning without causing sun damage it would have been groundbreaking news in the world of dermatology. As it is now, the only safe “tans” are sunless and are achieved using the self tanner DHA, and the formulas keep getting better. (You looked fantastic with yours!) I would just hope that you continue to advocate skin and sun health in an informed manner since you are so well respected and skin cancer is so preventable. Thank you again for your reply!

• Ruth says:

My pleasure Claire – and thank you. It is an important issue and you’ve made me do some quite deep thinking! x

2. shelley says:

Is your Mum taking care of Mr. Bear? Lucky Ducky!

3. Amanda says:

Ruth, you just put the biggest smile on my face at 7.40am – Pete has never managed that!

Thank you so much for the mention! You’re a complete star and just truly lovely.

Enjoy your holiday :) x