Caudalie Micellar Cleansing Solution

Posted · 37 Comments

This cleansing water is a bit of a repeat buy for me – I don’t know how many bottles I’ve had now! I think I must have just used up the dregs of my sixth or seventh bottle? I bought my first one when I was staying in Paris for model castings – along with a foaming cleanser and a cleansing milk. Goodness knows how many years ago that was. I’m still using the water quite regularly – not so much the cleansing milk, though that is lovely too. The foaming cleanser is in my gym locker (the gym I haven’t been to in over a year) and has probably sprouted legs and its own little micro-world by now.

I don’t use micellar waters for proper cleansing – I like to use them before cleansing sometimes to take off excess eye makeup or foundation, just so that when I use a hot cloth cleanser or cleansing balm I can get down to the real nitty-gritty. Micellar waters are quite powerful cleansing agents, but most of them aren’t “rinse-off” and I do believe that when you are cleansing thoroughly, you need Mr Water and Mrs WashCloth to get involved. But for convenience, for ease of use, for portability and cleansing on-the-go, you can’t beat a Micellar cleanser!

Caudalie’s Cleansing Water is a lightly fragrant fluid that does a pretty good job of removing all makeup. Perhaps not waterproof mascara, but I hate waterproof mascara anyway, so that’s no skin off my nose! You might find that you need a quick splash of water after this – that’s why I often use it as a pre-cleanse, or if I’m going to be following it with a sweep of something else. (ie, Liquid Gold!)

It’s £13.50 with free worldwide delivery at FeelUnique.com

37 Responses to "Caudalie Micellar Cleansing Solution"
  1. Aimee Baines says:

Hi Ruth! I love you and your cat!

I’m sorry to be a bit of a nuisance perhaps but will you be doing a post for chemical exfoliants that clean beneath the surface of the skin? my nose and chin is jam packed with blackheads that haven’t budged for well over a year now!

I’ve tried a few masks and gels that claim they get rid of them and they won’t budge! Thanks if you catch this post!

Aimee

2. Ron says:

Simply adore this product! (thanks to your recommendation)
    I use it now as a quick cleanser if I need to take off makeup in a jiffy. Also quite often as a nice quick cleanse for the whole face if my skin is feeling a bit too “lived in” by midday. Simply love the smell too!

3. Mia says:

Hi Ruth!
    I’m looking for a nice deep cleanser to do the real job after using the micellar water,can you give me any suggestions please? (sensitive/a little oily skin) I’m also desperately looking for the healgel! I was wondering if I can find it at the Gatwick airport?? (i know it’s a kinda weird question..)
    Thanks!

4. Michelle Charlier says:

I have also just ordered my first Liquid Gold and am really hoping it works as I am really struggling with regular break outs at the moment and the topical solution prescribed by the doctor just totally dries my skin out (which is how I managed to persuade my husband to let me buy Liquid Gold!)

Ruth, would you use the Caudalie rather than splashing your face with water in the morning? I tend to do my proper cleanse at night and just splash with water in the morning as I’m usually running late…is this a big no no? Thanks for all your blogs…they are a welcome treat on my bus ride to work :)

• Ruth says:

I think it’s a good idea to do something of a cleanse in the morning, even if it’s just a swipe of cleansing water. Oils accumulate overnight (and sweat!) and it’s nice to refresh the skin, especially if you’re then putting on makeup. x

• Michelle Charlier says:

Thank you :) Would Liz Earle Skin Tonic count as a cleansing water do you think?

• Ruth says:

Hmm. I’m not sure that the Tonic has any actual cleansing “molecules” in it! The micellar cleansers (or anything that says “cleanser” and looks like a water, within reason) have actual cleansers inside them, whereas a toner usually won’t, therefor won’t lift grime or dissolve makeup. x

5. This is my first time commenting on your blog, but I really enjoy it and since I’ve been really getting into skincare recently your posts are apropos. I just ordered my first Alpha-H Liquid Gold and I’m waiting with baited breath for its arrival. Okay, clearly a little neurotic. Anyway, thanks for this post about the Caudalie cleansing water. I got a sample from Sephora in a 500 point perk package and now I know what the heck I’m supposed to do with it.

6. janelle says:

Not sure if it’d be the same outside Canada, but I picked up a little Caudalie package at Sephora with a lipbalm and a 50ml cleansing water. Nice way to try a couple products and not too expensive :)

7. Francesca says:

Love your blog! I’m also a fan of the double cleanse. Using up a Lancome cream cleanser at the mo but I’m in the market for a micellaire water when that one runs out. Have you tried the Lancome one and if so would you recommend it? I like the fact it comes in a bumper bottle. Also, does anyone know where you can buy the Bioderma one in the UK? Thanks!

8. Abi says:

This looks like a lovely cleansing water! I really love bioderma and I use cleansing waters like you described in your post – as a pre cleanse! I’d really like to try some other products from Caudalie!

Abi x

9. Diva says:

I do a full deep cleanse every night, so in the morning I would like to keep it more simple. I know that some people just splash cold water on their face in mornings. I’ve tried that and feel like I need more. Could I just use micellar for my morning routine?

10. Blushmetweetme says:

I’ve been a fan of this for around a year now, and I would never use this stuff if i have makeup on, it just wouldn’t leave my face feeling as clean as a hot cloth cleanser. But i like it for when i wake up first thing in the morning when i’m wearing no makeup at all! It’s actually very good value as well!

11. Jennifer says:

This looks & sounds like a really refreshing and lovely product for the skin, especially in the summertime! (Although, summer’s nearly over, isn’t it? Where did the time go?!??) I’ve never tried a micellar solution; it appears they aren’t as popular (or I should say not at all popular) in the US, which is where I live. But, being the obsessive skin care fanatic that I am, I’m always interested in trying new things! Unfortunately, I can’t say I’ve been terribly impressed w/the few products I’ve tried from Caudalie: the Vinoperfect Radiance serum, Premier Cru Eye cream, and lip conditioner were all total busts for me (and overpriced busts at that)! At any rate, I enjoyed this post; your reviews are always so fantastic and well-written! AMR is by far my favorite blog to read. Keep it up, Ruth! :)

• Ruth says:

Thank you Jennifer! Oh I loved the Premier Cru eye cream, I blind-tested it on someone else, too, in a little pot and they loved it. Each to their own though, it IS very expensive! Nothing beats my StriVectin. Nothing yet, at any rate! xx

• madii says:

I was wondering Ruth, because I asked you before about your fave eye cream, and I wanted to ask what exactly is it about the StriVectin that is so good? I’ve never used it and want to save up for it. What makes it stand out from the others?

• Ruth says:

I don’t know, nothing I can describe. I just know that my eye area looks better when I use it than when I don’t. Sorry that’s so vague – I know some people who don’t rate it that much, so it must just be personal preference! It’s very moisturising without being greasy or heavy, though some people have found it drying, weirdly! Try and get hold of a sample sachet if you can! x

• madii says:

Thanks for replying! I just finished the l’occitane precious eye balm, but I didn’t like it, because when it dried it used to roll into little balls, don’t know how to explain it… do you know what I mean? Like it was impossible to put make up on top of it because it would roll. What do you think about the Caudalie premier cru eye cream? Or have you used the Clarins eye balm?

• Ruth says:

Yep, both of those are lovely! That’s weird about the l’Occitane – I know exactly what you mean though. xx

12. sophia says:

Hello Ruth!
    My favourite Caudalie product is the Contouring Concentrate serum. It has done wonders for my cellulite together with the brush method I learned from you. Thank you so much!
    How do you keep flat belly without gym?I am quite thin but my stomach area doesn’t follow.
    Greetings from Greece!!!

13. Upa says:

I’m completely addicted to misceller waters too, Ruth – thanks to you. What I like is that if I’m just too “lazy” to wash my face, I tell myself to just do the waters bit. By the time my face gets wet, I’ve been inspired to go to Mr. Water and Mrs. Washcloth, as you so descriptively put it (how DO you come up with this hysterical stuff? Fantastic!).
    Ah! See how inspirational you are, in addition to being funny? It’s one reason I AM so addicted to AMR!

14. I LOVE this stuff! I started using it almost 2 years ago–it was the first cleansing water I had tried and I’m so happy with it, I really don’t feel the need to experiment with other ones (though, knowing me, I probably will anyway :P). I use it as a pre-cleanse as well or as a post-cleanse wipe-down just to be sure I’ve gotten everything on my neck and hairline. It’s really amazing stuff

15. Kate says:

Hi Ruth,

Would you say that this is better than the bio derma that everyone raves about?

Kate x

• Ruth says:

I find all of the micellars to be quite similar, if you want unfragranced and effective though, I think that Bioderma is the classic to go for! x

16. madii says:

Still, nothing does it for me like the Bioderma micellar water. Ruth I would realy like to try some Caudalie products, I haven’t ever used any. Is there anything you would suggest? Thx!