Something insanely lush for you to covet – you may thank me later. This is the Rouge G l’Extrait from Guerlain, an entirely faultless lipstick encased in something that can only be described as a work of art. Now I know that Guerlain are known for their fine packaging, but I can’t adequately describe to you the joy that I felt when I gave the heavy lid a twist and a mirror smoothly opened along the length of the casing. I felt as though I was in one of those futuristic movies where they pass the baddy the controls to the nuclear weaponry! Everything felt so sleek and heavy and NASA-engineered!

I exaggerate, of course. If NASA started designing lipsticks instead of important things then we’d probably be in a lot of trouble. If lipsticks started turning into miniature missile-control-units then we’d be in even more of a mess! I’d be firing them off left right and centre in my PMT week! (What an EARTH am I jabbering on about? Can someone come and tape up my mouth?)

I’ve digressed about as far as I reasonably can on this one, so let’s get back to mission control: this is one amazing lipstick. It’s not even strictly a lipstick, it’s a highly-pigmented liquid colour with a non-sticky, non-gloss finish. I’d say that it had a matte finish, but I don’t want you to think that it’s in the least drying, so I’ll stick to “non-gloss”. I have the shade Luxure, and you can see from the geeky glasses picture below that it’s a rich, bright red - it’s a LOT redder and brighter than any of the official images let on. It’s a real red-red, a Hollywood Starlet Red.

guerlain luxure

This is grown-up makeup at its very best – owning one of these Rouge G l’Extraits is a bit of a rite of passage, in a way. You really couldn’t get very much more sophisticated. One of these would make a great 21st birthday present or graduation present if you were looking for something chic and covetable – actually, one of these would make a great present full-stop! Refillable, beautifully made, eternally stylish; this is a true beauty investment that will stand the test of time.

Guerlain Rouge G De Guerlain L’Extrait is £26.55 with free delivery from Escentual.com

Share →

20 Responses to Eternally Stylish: Guerlain’s Starlet Red

1. Emma says:

I accidently went out and bought this in Gourmandise last night, a sort of beautiful bright rose pink shade, but now I want the red one too! I’ve always bypassed Guerlain a bit (maybe because I am unsure how to pronounce it!) but it’s definitely impressed me so far :)

2. AVA says:

Hi Ruth. How would you compare this to the YSL liquid stain? Thanks.x

3. Rola says:

I love liquid lipsticks these days, this is a beautiful red! I like your glasses too.

4. Rita the parachutist says:

I love how you make a post about a lipstick so entertaining :-) And just wow, how beautiful is that!
    Had to look up PMT though (got my wires crossed a bit, obviously)… and I was asking myself “Parent Management Training? Paris Mean Time? Pearl Milk Tea??”
    No worries! I eventually got it. Haha!

5. Gaya says:

You’re free Ruth!! No more essay (well for the moment that is but hey that’s GREAT). XX

6. Tracey says:

I have a fear of this type of product after i bought something similar (in colour and texture)from the ArtDeco range last year,on my first night out wearing it himself asked me after 10 mins of entering the bar “what is smeared all over your mouth!!!???” It had gone all over the place!! Threw it in the bin and swore never again!!!

7. Claire says:

I actually like where this is going, all the new releases – liquid lipsticks – are right up my alley, I love them (Shiseido, Guerlain, Hourglass, …). Since I am a huge red lipstick lover I am more than happy to see so many reds, haha.

8. Ali says:

So instead of making you buy the whole unit over again when it’s empty, you can refill it. What a brilliant idea. I wonder, is it limited edition as in L.E. packaging, so that’s why the refillable?

I love a good red lip colour. I think I deserve to treat myself to an early Christmas present.

Ali

9. This one is pure insanity on you–I mean seriously. I got Paresse but I’m not ballsy enough to wear it like this–I like to sheer it down with my finger :P

10. Lady MaDe says:

A bit too red for me, but the package is amazing!!!

11. Upa says:

Only in Scarlet Red or are other shades to come out as well? Sounds wonderful: the packaging as well as it being refillable. Thanks!

12. ItsyKitsy says:

What a gorgeous classy elegant red! Does this come in more neutral shades? I’ve noticed Shiseido is also coming out with liquid lipsticks…seems like a new trend!

13. Liz says:

They’re refillable? That’s fantastic! I’ve been waiting for the Rouge G lipsticks to come out with refills. The packaging is so fancy… I’ll definitely check these out!