Top “Eye Cream with SPF” Options…

best spf eye creams face beauty

I’m not sure that it’s entirely necessary to use an eye cream with SPF. Not in the UK, anyway. Most of us, if we are out in “normal” daylight, will be wearing some kind of concealer or foundation that contains an SPF. If it’s very hot, then we’ll usually have taken our face sunscreen around the eye area anyway. Between moisturisers, BB Creams, primers, foundations, powder and concealers we will usually have adequate protection over the delicate eye area. But what if you don’t wear makeup, or sunscreens sting your eyes, or you simply want dedicated sun protection for the eye area?

Eye products with SPF are actually rather scarce in comparison to those without; out of the hundred or so eye products that I pulled out of my beauty cupboard, less than ten of them had an SPF. I think that, in general, the textures of the creams without SPF were far superior to those with; the ones containing sunscreens tended to be a little stodgier and heavier. I spent a few days wearing different SPF eye creams on each eye and I did find that they weren’t quite as refreshing and moisturising as my regular creams.

That’s probably why eye creams with SPF are less popular; those light and cooling eye gels that de-puff and smooth fine lines perhaps wouldn’t be quite the same with a load of filters bunged into the mix. Also, some chemical sunscreens are notoriously uncomfortable around the eye area – many people can’t wear certain facial sunscreens for this reason. Add to that the fact that some chemicals in sunscreen can destabilise other ingredients, or render them ineffective, and you can start to see why there are so few eye creams with an SPF…

In short, it seems that if you want a high-powered, super-duper anti-ageing eye cream, you’re probably not going to get an SPF built-in. I have, however, whittled my Eye SPF testing down to a few products that I got on well with – see what you think!

1) Perricone MD’s No Concealer Concealer (see the full review here). Mineral sunscreen (SPF35) so it won’t sting the eye area and brilliant concealing prowess. It’s not strictly an eye cream, but it probably has just as many anti-ageing properties as any of the others (if not more), so it makes the cut! I love this stuff. £37 from Salon Skincare

2) Ole Henriksen’s Total Truth Eye Cream SPF 15: a buttery, rich eye cream that does a good job of keeping the eye area moisturised. It’s £41 for 15g with free worldwide delivery at FeelUnique.com

3) Clinique’s Superdefense SPF20 – pick of the bunch. It used to be available only in Duty Free but now you can get it online and instore. I think it’s a really comprehensive little cream with a good SPF and a nice, non-greasy texture that sits well beneath makeup. Find it online here – it’s £30.

4) Liz Earle’s Daily Eye Repair (see the full review here) is a gentle eye cream with SPF10. It’s £14.25 at Liz Earle here

*Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers are affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Gem
    September 18, 2012 / 7:37 am

I bought the Boots own brand Vitamin E eye cream which has an spf of 15, and it’s great! Lightly moisturising, not sticky – I mean, it’s not going to cure your dark circles or give you the under eye area of a 10 year old or anything, but it does cost about £2.60! I’ve paid more for things that do less! Would like to try the Liz Earle one, her moisturisers are great when Winter rocks up!

• Gem
      September 18, 2012 / 7:39 am

OMG I’M MR BEAR!! AMAZEBALLS!!

• RuthCrilly
        September 18, 2012 / 8:11 pm

LOL.

• RuthCrilly
      September 18, 2012 / 8:11 pm

Ooooh, I shall have to look into that one! x

2. Love in a mist
    September 18, 2012 / 8:12 am

Ahh eye creams my favourite beauty products ! Not fussed over liz Earle one didn’t do anything for me, in terms of reducing wrinkles and I didn’t find it moisturising enough, :-( I haven’t tried the others !
    My current line busting duo is elemental herbology eye serum and PAI echium eye cream over top really working well together on me anyway!

3. Sheila
    September 18, 2012 / 9:08 am

Hi Ruth, can I just ask if you think creams are better than gel formulations? I have used bobbie brown cream clarins cream, and currently in the alpha h intensive eye and lip treatment, but when I tried the ren radiant eye gel and the absolute eye complex from alpha h, and just don’t know if it is in my head or not but just don’t feel that they hydrate as much?
    Tks
    X

• RuthCrilly
      September 18, 2012 / 8:11 pm

I kind of feel this way too. I think it’s probably psychological!

4. September 18, 2012 / 12:57 pm

Thank you for posting about this, I’ve been looking for more info on them.

5. Jennifer
    September 18, 2012 / 3:21 pm

Great recs, Ruth! I actually just use my facial SPF right underneath (and all around) my eyes; works beautifully, and I don’t need to buy a separate product!

• RuthCrilly
      September 19, 2012 / 10:40 am

Yes, I think most people do that! I wear a regular eye cream and my concealer usually has an SPF in.. x

6. LEM
    September 18, 2012 / 8:54 pm

I use “total eye care” from Dermalogica. Plus it is slightly tinted which is great. Take care

• LEM
      September 18, 2012 / 8:55 pm

haha love how my pics come up as Mr. Bear x

7. September 19, 2012 / 1:31 am

So very interested in the Perricone No Concealer Concealer–has the highest SPF and covers darkness. Perfect! I don’t wear eye cream during the day anyway, so I don’t mind if it doesn’t moisturize

• RuthCrilly
      September 19, 2012 / 10:40 am

It’s brilliant – I did a full review last week if you flick back! x

8. September 19, 2012 / 4:39 pm

Thanks for the run-down. Suddenly the area around my eyes has become as parched and wrinkled as the Sahara Desert. It’s from newly diagnosed hypothyroidism and meds will eventually kick in but until then I’m about to lose it w/the difficult skin! Great timing! Thanks!

9. andrea
    September 20, 2012 / 5:04 am

hi ruth! can you recommend some eye-creams that are anti-puff? i love your blog and youtube channel btw! <3

10. January 24, 2013 / 1:45 pm

I use Clarins “Sun Wrinkle Control Cream SPF 30”. It’s a little bit expensive, but you really need a tiny bit, so the tube will last you for years – I’ve had mine for 3 years now and there’s like half left! I used to use regular sunscreen for my face under my eyes, but I felt all of my sunscreens were too heavy, and you shouldn’t wear heavy creams on your eyes. This one is really lightweight and goes over your regular eye cream, I usually use it under the summer months and in winter when the sun seems strong. Before I used to get sunspots around my eyes and since I started using this it has really made a difference! The only problem is that it can leave a white residue if you don’t blend it in well, but I like it ’cause I have really dark circles under my eyes and I feel as if this is brightening that area a bit so I don’t look like I’ve been punched.

11. Tallis74
    April 13, 2013 / 9:57 am

Dermalogica’s Total Eye Care also has an SPF and is a nice light texture x

12. Leonie Frazier
    May 12, 2014 / 12:54 pm

Check out https://www.murad.co.uk/essential-c-eye-cream-broad-spectrum-spf-15-pa

Not cheap but gets results. They often do offers or discount codes so you don’t need to buy at full price. Mine has lasted me more than 8 months and you use hardly any. It is pump action so you can control how much you use. Salons who recommend/use murad also use skin scans so you can see improvement on scans taken of your face over a period if time.

13. ruby
    November 30, 2016 / 2:50 pm

I personally love moisturizer cream Monsia :)

14. Georgia
    April 6, 2017 / 1:31 pm

I am so glad that Ruth has posted this common sense approach to SPFs. There is a lot of confusion and hysteria about exposure to sun and skin cancer.
    SPFs every day might keep wrinkles at bay but in the British Isles we need all the sunlight we can get. During rare hot summers it is obviously best to avoid being burned as this increases the risk of developing Non Melanoma skin cancer typically caused by exposure. Other skin cancers are found in areas where the sun doesn’t shine such as the soles of the feet.
    Grilling ourselves without any protection especially when abroad is obviously a skin cancer risk, but even then I would prefer to wear a nice sun hat!
    Going about our daily business here is unlikely to cause sun related skin cancer and I suspect that much of the of the info is based on consumers who live in hotter climes including the US.
    I have the Clinique eye cream which I love but I don’t like the ‘brightening’ quality. I wish it was more of an ivory but the whiteness of it makes me look a bit ghostly under the eyes. I tend only to use it when it’s really bright outside and purely to keep the wrinkles a bay!