Things I’d Tell My Teenage Self

Posted · 19 Comments

a model recommends

I have a good number of teenaged followers on Youtube and so I thought that I’d tap into my own infinite wisdom (ha!) and make a video about things that I’d say to my teenage self. Don’t even ask why I get all emotional at the start – I’m pretty sure I had quite a good teenager-hood – but I started thinking about people who are bullied and who struggle with not fitting in and I began to get all soppy. I would have made a great actress; I can literally cry at the drop of a hat. Sometimes I cry when I’m on a plane and it takes off. (Too much information. That will haunt me.) I’m not suggesting that I was pretending to get emotional, by the way, I just mean that I get easily emotional.

Well, after that pointless little rambling introduction, let’s get on with the show, shall we? I’m going to be making more of these, so let me know if you have any things that you’d add to the mix and I’ll think about including them for the next one!

For those who can’t see the video pane, click HERE. For those who can’t be bothered to watch, see below for the spoiler!

(Before you ask, there WILL be a tutorial for this look, it’ll be up in a few days!)

Spoiler: the tips are, in short; don’t be afraid to be different, don’t overpluck your brows, don’t pick at your spots, stay in school and appreciate the free education, don’t smoke, don’t get addicted to sugar!

19 Responses to "Things I’d Tell My Teenage Self"
  1. How I wish you had been around when I was struggling through my teenaged years, Ruth. Thank you, now, though for your good advice, guidance and of course Mr. Bear updates!! xo

2. I loved this video – and you know something, I don’t think until you said it about school being free that it sunk in that it was and is. As Uni isn’t is it? I was one of the last peeps to get a real student grant back in the 1990s. We’re really lucky with our education in Blighty. I could have been born in Pakistan where my parents are from and it could have been v.v.different.

3. mq, cb says:

You forgot, “and always wear sunscreen!”

4. Nadia says:

your eyes look stunning in this video, In fact your glowing Ruth, some great advice, lol at you getting all emotional. goes to show how caring you are. x

5. Veronika dobáková says:

Please make more videos i really want to be a model but i am probably not lucky because they told me that i can not be a model

6. gabbi says:

Ruth I loved this video!! Please make more!! Can you tell us about your decision to leave university? I am going to university next year to study law (if I get the grades) but also am doing part time modelling to help save up for expenses whilst at uni! How did you know what you wanted to do? Love your videos :) x

7. Andrea says:

Nice advice and lovely makeup, Ruth. May we have a tutorial?

8. Helen says:

Thanks for this video, but I think the advice about “not being part of a group for the sake of it” still rings true when you’re 20, 30, or 40s… I am not disagreeing with you (I really like the video!) but bullies are always going to be out there and you need that strong self belief and trust your instints and that not “fitting in” can make you unique and a better person. I don’t believe in blending into a social group for the sake of it, you’ll end up meeting rounds and round of insipid people and soon you WILL have to step outside of that bubble anyway to meet people who can invigorate your mind with an intellectual conversation. I went to an all girls school (ahuh!!) and I know this all too well and there were girls who were being bullied, those who desperately wanted to be “popular” and those who are “popular” but are secretly bulimic due to low self esteem (which is ironic). I can’t stress enough that you need to be who you are (and not what you or others think you should be for that matter) and not be afraid in voicing your views and opinions!
    Also, as for the eyebrow tip, I agree with you. My sister is 30 (31 this Nov) and she regrets plucking her eyebrows in her teens, she then got them tattooed in her mid twenties and now she’s slowly getting them back when she didn’t touch them for a long while. Goes to show that not plucking them will do you great favours in the long run!
    Ok, I’ve rambled long enough, but I must tell you this: I had a dream last night where you taught me how to wax my legs…. It was overall kinda weird and creepy (you weren’t creepy but it was the thought that my fav blogger was in my dream teaching me how to wax was creepy). But then I also dreamt about many other things aswell, such as trying to escape a sinking ship AND boarding a plane at the same time, ha ha!

• RuthCrilly says:

LOL!!!! It’d be a bad day that saw me teaching ANYONE how to wax legs… I’ve never done it! That’s more of a nightmare.. x

9. Kaylie McKelvey says:

“Sometimes I cry when I’m on a plane and it takes off. (Too much information. That will haunt me.)”

I think a 875,000 lbs (give or take a few lbs) aeroplane taking off is a miraculous wonder, and showing some emotion about it is just appreciating that. I only travel about once per year, but I still find it amazing!

10. Stacie says:

Hi Ruth, I want to take a moment to personally thank you for this video. I’ve been “drumming” the same exact things into my dear 14yo sisters head since she hit high school. I showed her your video and can tell your words really rang home with her – an aspiring model. Her reaction to the video was “OMG, It’s like she made this video for me!”. So thank you. Long time AMR reader, Stacie.

Comments are closed.