The Superfacialist Double Cleanse

Posted · 30 Comments

I love this double-cleanse routine from Una Brennan, super facialist. What a superb idea! It’s nothing new, of course, the idea of double-cleansing – most of you probably do it without realising. What I love about this double-cleanse is that it’s all laid out for you. Use the oil, then use the creamy cleanser. Really, I think that they should be sold as a duo, because many people wouldn’t instantly think that a “Miracle Makeover” facial oil was, in fact, a pre-cleanser. I didn’t, until I read the small print!

So, you use the oil to dissolve makeup and grunge – warm a small amount between clean palms and press over the face. Massage in, even over the lid area and work into lashes to break down mascara. Then, use your flannel or cloth (wouldn’t use a Clarisonic for the oil part) and gently remove the oil. Skin should be pretty darn clean, really, but here comes the insurance: massage the creamy cleanser over the damp skin and really work it in. Again, go over the eye area and make sure that all of your pesky mascara has dissolved! Use your cloth to remove, or, if you want to use your Clarisonic, now’s the time!

Bravo. Super-clean, Super-Facialist-ed (?!) skin. Nice for those with drier skin (go easy on that Clarisonic, won’t you?) but also suitable for combination. I think that there’s a separate range for oily skin, I must investigate when I pass by Boots tomorrow. A bit of oil on oily skin never did it any harm – you’re rinsing it off at any rate. If you were concerned, you could follow the oil step with your regular cleanser for oily skin. Shu Uemura also do dedicated oil cleansers for oily skin – you can find those HERE.

Una Brennan’s Miracle Makeover Oil is £14.99 from Boots.com and the cleanser is £7.99 – an absolute bargain. It’s a gorgeous consistency and really gentle on dry, stressed-out skin. You can find that online here.

30 Responses to "The Superfacialist Double Cleanse"
  1. Aria J. Sani says:

Hey Ruth, I’m thinking about using cleansing oils but I don’t wear makeup but I do use sunscreen. Do you think cleansing oils would be suitable?

2. Leila says:

This is how the Japanese and other East Asians tend to cleanse at the end of the day.
    I have always double cleansed when wearing makeup, but this method is nice as you get a really deep clean (and no wasting cotton pads!) It’s a method I really like and I’m glad to see it become more popular over here. It was a bit of a struggle to find products easily available here that I could do this with, but it’s worth it when you wear makeup. (Also, no Shu Uemura or Laura Mercier oils for me, mineral oil is a disaster for my skin, glad it works for others though.)

I use the Origins Clean Energy Cleansing Oil (the cheapest price per ml I could find at the time, that may have changed – lasts me more than six months with regular use!) and the second cleanser tends to change. I have tried some from Simple, Amie and others, all work great.

I ended up mixing and matching brands to get what I wanted and cleansing oils kinda rare here, so it’s great to see a ready made set!

3. Megan Carr says:

Wish i could get it i’m in the US :(

4. Guest says:

Wish i could get it it the US :(

5. Mara says:

did you try the

Superfacialist Tea Flower Mattifying Moisturiser? Does anybody knows if you can also use the Superfacialist Neroli Lift & Hydrate Facial Oil as a pre-cleanse same way as the Superfacialist Rose Miracle Makeover Facial Oil? The Botanics 100% Organic Facial Oil sounds interesting too. Hm, which facial cleansing oil is the best for combination skin? Hm…so many products and choices!

6. Michael says:

Also on the issue of oil onto oily skin, the clarins oil is amazing, I was so worried about using it as I was sure I would break out, but ever since I have it’s kept my oil levels much lower, particularly across my forehead.

7. Michael says:

Someone gave me a sample of the Dermalogica pre cleanse and I loved using it and seemed to calm my skin down if you know what I mean. It’s pretty expensive though and you have to buy it online if you want a good price which I hate because I always forget to reorder etc. This sounds like a good one at a great price so think I’ll check it out. Thanks.

8. Mel Parkin says:

Pre-cleanse oils are fantastic.. EVEN IF you’ve oily skin. Get some boot polish put it on the back of your hand. Then wash your hand with your cleanse, you can still see the polish.. now use a couple of drops of an oil. such as olive oil. Hey presto.. it lifts the polish.. then wash with your cleanser. This is how oils, can be used a pre-cleanser, they remove make up.. and they don’t harm you. They aren’t aren’t messing with your ‘ph’ and when you do a cleanse your remove the oil. Oil-attracts-oil. If you prefer you can use a balm as they generally have oils in them.. another benefit is massaging your face with the pre-cleanser. This stimulates your blood in the skin, giving a good healthy supply, keeps the nutrients regularly being fed to develop healthy skin. I’ve been using Dermalogica’s pre-cleanse oil for months now.. and I love it. Currently, I’m back in college, for more beauty therapist training.. I;m the oldest in class and everyone thinks I’m 10 years younger.. So i must be doing something right :D xx

• RuthCrilly says:

You must indeed! Thanks Mel, that’s a brilliant explanation xx

• Leila says:

Exactly! If something isn’t easily cleansed with water, then it will need oil! Always works and not just for skin. Such as the sticky residue left behind on new plates, cups etc. or anything else with annoying stickers you want to remove. I always add a little oil and it melts off like a charm! (Then use regular soap/detergent to get off the oily residue.) Basic rule, if it’s difficult to get off with water, chances are, using oil will get it off. Try it!

Another use for anyone who gets a little dirty with tools and maintaining cars, DIY etc. (or pass this onto the boys in your life), a little oil will make getting the black dirt off you hands so much easier! It doesn’t matter what oil you use, baby oil, olive oil or cooking oil etc.

It’s just basic chemistry. Most things are either hyrophobic (water hating) or hydrophilic (water loving) with details and exceptions we don’t need to get into here.

Oily things tend to hate water (hydrophobic) and will not stick to it, therefore making them harder to clean. They tend to like oil (lipophilic) so will be attracted to the oil. This makes them easy to clean with oil. I hope that explanation is simple enough!

9. Louisa says:

Ah, this is excellent! Very excited to try it out, when my meagre student budget allows. Last thing I splashed out on was the Pai chamomile & rosehip sensitive skin cream which came with a free camellia & rose cleanser, an offer which you wrote about some time ago. I was very excited because both are targeted rosacea products/great for redness or sensitive skin in general. My rosacea is mild – I’m only 19 – but I find it very difficult to treat.

Gutted to say the Pai products actually made things worse. The cleanser was great for awhile – very fresh and effective – but over time (2 months) it broke me out and coupled with the moisturiser, made my skin very, very fragile. I found the supposedly ‘cooling’ skin cream very odd; even the thinnest layer felt as if it was trapping in heat for me. Absolute no no.

After blowing out my student beauty budget, I hate, HATE to admit what I’ve been stuck with: a Body Shop foaming tea tree cleanser, and a Clinique moisturiser with spf 21.. for men. Don’t even ask. However – my skin is looking great – and much better than it ever did with the Pai products! The world works in very mysterious ways.. x

10. Rebecca says:

Been dying to try something from this range, and I’m addicted to oil cleansers, and to my Clarisonic, so this is most definately a winner. May have to bunk of work early and hit Boots…

11. Sophiabencks says:

I just picked up the Rose creamy cleanser today! Looking forward to trying it, although I didn’t realise the oil was part of a double-cleanse system, wish I had got that too as it’s 3 for 2 at the moment in Boots…

12. Meeta says:

I’ve recently purchased this duo and I’m also seriously impressed, they feel so much more luxurious than the price and easily rival higher-end products. Already contemplating some back-ups while the 3 for 2 is on:)

13. Ellie says:

I like the Neoroli cleanser, it smells great! They do have a range for oily skin but I avoided it even though I have oily skin because it didnt seem that unique- classic foaming/drying formula for oil

14. Alison_H says:

I’m hearing lots of good things about this range. Andy over at Pampered Prince likes some of the oily skin products from Superfacialist. I’m thinking I want to try the Neroli Firming Mask.

Ali x

• RuthCrilly says:

Right, I must. xx

• Kirsty Calderon says:

Hi ruth , I tried the neroli firming mask yesterday , it’s great but not for a pre party mask as skin is a bit red afterwards so needs a good few hours to calm down . Also read that people experienced red hot skin after this . Mine went slightly red at the forehead and a little on cheeks . Do you know anything about this mask . ?? Loving your pages btw !,

15. Amanda says:

I like the sound of this Ruth and at such a good price too. By the way, how are you finding the Mama Mio products you were testing? :)

• RuthCrilly says:

Wonderful, actually! Not so much the serum, but the butt firmer thing is excellent!! Pricey though, it doesn’t last long at all… x

16. upasbook says:

What a fantastic idea! Do you think that this would also work with the A’kin Pure Radiance Rosehip Oil? Thanks!

• RuthCrilly says:

Possibly, but I’d say the rosehip is the kind of thing you’d want to leave in contact rather than wash off, as it’s such a brilliant regenerator!! xx

• Upa says:

Thanks, Ruth. My skin could use a bit of a regenerator, not knowing whether it’s coming or going. Hospital air and surgery have really messed up my skin! :( and ;) xx

17. Oh! Forgot to add I think the range is amazing considering the price! It’s one of the cheapest ranges I’ve used in a long time but also one of the most impressive!

18. You’re right Ruth, there is a dedicated range for oily / problematic skin. I’m using it at the moment and I’m really impressed with it. It’s called Deep Clean Tea Flower. Same packaging etc just green writing instead of pink. The wash & moisturiser both contain Salcilyic acid to clear the pore. As does the mask but I haven’t used that one yet. Ive been using Pai camellia & rose cleanser in the evenings as my pre-cleanse :) x