Ruth Crilly

Here’s a brief rundown on how I look after my highlighted, oft-blowdried hair. I’d like to point out that it’s not “oft blowdried” out of choice – every time I go on a modeling shoot it just gets tonged and backcombed to within an inch of its life! I can almost hear it screaming every time a heated appliance comes near it. Due to this frequently suffered Barnet Torture I have a few hard rules when it comes to my hair maintenance and they are as follows:

1) Don’t highlight it the whole way through, just through the top and front sections. I keep my natural colour through more than 50% of my hair – it keeps the condition better and it gives a bit of “depth” when my hair moves. My hair angel is the one and only John Spanton from Trevor Sorbie in Covent Garden. He just gets my colour spot-on every single time. Last week I asked him to “take it down a bit for the autumn” and he just knew exactly what I was talking about. Glorious man that he is.

2) Don’t wash it every day. OK, I’ll admit that some people may have to, but I often think that people just get into the habit of washing daily and then feel dirty if they don’t. I’m not entirely convinced that most people need to wash it daily… Give it a try – leave it a day and see how it feels. Can you get away with dry shampoo? Slicking it back? It’s not so much the washing that I don’t like, it’s the consequent hair-drying. If you can halve the number of blowdries you have in a lifetime, then that’s a wonderful thing in my books!

3) Avoid harsh, stripping shampoos. You know in the gym when you have the wall dispenser of free shampoo and it makes your skin turn inside out with dryness? Yeah, avoid that. And anything that is coloured bright green and smells amazingly of apples, or costs £1 for eight bottles in poundland. Chances are that you’re buying glorified washing-up liquid that will literally make your hair start to cry. I’ve talked about my favourites in the video below – they could be a nice place to start if you’re looking for gentle, effective shampoos.

4) Condition, condition, condition! Highlighted, chemically-treated or coarse hair needs to be deep-conditioned a couple of times a week. It makes so much difference to manageability and shine – your run-of-the-mill quick conditioner stays on the hair for what? Twenty seconds before you rinse it off? You can’t expect that to do more than detangle. I love some of these pre-shampoo treatments that have started popping up more frequently – again, see the video below.

5) Ask yourself: do you really need to straighten it today? Because if you don’t, put those flat-irons away! Have a little experiment with a natural, wavy style or a sleek ponytail or something completely new. If it’s the weekend, give your hair a break – the people in the Tesco’s queue won’t appreciate your poker-straight locks as much as your hair will appreciate a little holiday from being slow-fried inside two metal plates.

Feel free to ignore all of the above, they are just the rules that I myself follow. If you want to hear me chatting away about them, with a few extra tips thrown in for good measure, then click the play button on the video below! If you can’t see the video below then click HERE, and if you can’t be bothered to watch the video at all then scroll down to have a look at my hair product arsenal.

Makeup: Sam from Pixiwoo did my makeup, I talk about it in this video: http://youtu.be/7UXAozJjDvk

Videos mentioned:

In the Shower Video: http://youtu.be/GaNxwvnX0ng

Babyliss Big Hair Video: http://youtu.be/e_pf-NstqkE

Products Mentioned:

Charles Worthington Shine Booster Treatment: http://tidd.ly/6923a423

Phyto Subtil Elixir: http://tidd.ly/9ffe5a46

Liz Earle Shampoo: http://goo.gl/CC291

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisturizing Lather Shampoo:http://awapuhi.paulmitchell.com/shampoo.html

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Mask: http://tidd.ly/10bb717

Goldwell Rich Repair Mask: http://tidd.ly/267f824

SEAH Cashmere Mask: http://tidd.ly/8d30b548

Moroccanoil: http://tidd.ly/a6f0041f

Gielly Green Argan Rescue: http://tidd.ly/af18b3af

Sebastian Potion 9: http://tidd.ly/27dcb548

Babyliss Big Hair: http://tidd.ly/205a694e

Tangle Teezer: http://tidd.ly/26bfcb83

Share →

25 Responses to How to Treat Your Hair Right

1. senait kidane says:

hi Ruth thanks for your advice.

2. roze says:

hi Ruth, i wondered what you would advise to use on my thin straight hair to give it a bit more shape and texture? thanks, love your videos!

3. Agata says:

Hi Ruth, I know it’s an old post, but I’ve just come across Moroccanoil treatment and I would like to share what I learned. First three ingredients are silicone polymers (cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, cyclomethicone) and even if they give you an instant shiny effect, on the long run they dry and ruin your hair. Only natural oils can really nurish your hair, so i vividly recommend you using a natural organic argan or flax oil. I’ve been using one (mixed organic hair oil, bought here in italy) for months now and my hair is great, no split ends, and i use it instead of conditioner on damp hair. best wishes form Italy!

4. Aria J. Sani says:

Do you use a pre wash treatment and a hair mask in the same wash or do you use it on different days?

5. mummycool1 says:

Hi Ruth, I wash my hair every other day and find that’s plenty for me. I also swap up my shampoo and conditioner ever few washes and I deep condition at least once a week. My hair is chemically straightened ( I have RA and this helps me with my hair care a huge amount), because of this it takes 5 minutes with the dryer and 5 with the GHD’s which I don’t use every day. If I’m not going out I tend to put my hair up.

6. Cath Lee says:

I need to wash my scalp daily cos of the humidity in my country. Lowest humidity is more than 90%. O_O” If I don’t wash once every 24 hours, I get eczema! Just sharing…

7. Queenpette says:

I wash them everyday but every other day only with a conditionner. Hair is clean and perfumed without any agression.

8. helengrieves says:

i used to wash my hair every single day as i had really short hair and never quite kicked the habit. i realised this was making my hair worse and it was falling out all the time, i could run my fingers through my hair and loads of strands used to come out, it was horrendous! now i only wash it about 3 times per week (or i’ll just wash my full fringe when i’m going out) and it’s in much healthier condition! i’ve also quit using the straighteners as much and my hair is so much better damage-wise.

lovely video as always! i look forward to you doing them, as all the advice i have taken on board from you so far has worked wonders! :)

9. Luxe Life says:

This is great advice! I cut down on washing my hair to every other day, dont straighten at weekends and use a treatment once a week and it literally changed my life. Now everytime I go to a new hairdresser they comment about what good condition my hair is in considering the amount of bleach in it.
    A Tangle Teaser is a miracle too!

10. Sarah says:

Hi, I use hair soaps and the Lush bars for almost 3 years now… and I am really happy that I have to wash my hair only twice a week. My fringe gets a bit greasy after two days, but I use dry shampoo or sometimes have to wash it in between.

11. Cat Graves says:

Ruth, you seriously need to give Wen by Chaz Dean a try…I LOVE it…my hair is transformed and recently my 21 yr old son started using it…he loves it, too, now. I have used it for well over a year now and it is the only reason I have hair. I swear, because I am terrible to my mane. I use the flatr iron daily. I cleanse daily. I don’t blow dry most days if I can help it but I color it to within an inch of it’s life, too. Wen is sulfate free and there are no bubbles. It does really clean out the nasties. I cleanse every day because it is my habit to do so..I have gone without to try it and I can skip, I just chose not to. I know you can’t get all teh formulas over there in the U.K. but you can get some and it is the very best stuff…I have thousands of dollars worth of hair products I don’t use because they aren’t as good as Wen. I stopped trying new products after trying Wen because I’d finally found the ONE that gave me the hair I kept trying to get.

12. Zhenya says:

I really need to get a tangle teezer, I’ve recently become horrified by the amount of hair I lose when brushing it wet.
    I have also started using sweet almond oil as a pre-shampoo treatment (will sometimes leave it for 3-6 hours) and it has transformed by very highlighted locks and it’s so cheap!

13. lil-bee says:

I only wash my hair once or twice a week .. its really dry and long and I’ve got a huge hair wash routine so its not possible to do it all the time :P I always air dry my hair and haven’t used heat in two years and my straighteners in more than five years :O my die-without products are the treatment oil and deep conditioning mask from Macademia Natural Oil … they are awesome, you can get em for a little more than a tenner from Amazon and they smell super nice :D

14. reka says:

Hi Ruth, i always find your videos really informative, you are a natural with all things beauty and skincare :-) possibly you have already heard of the Rahau haircare range, in case you haven’t seen there last product which is brilliant hair mask, RAHUA OMEGA 9 HAIR MASK, it’s £47, quite pricey but worth every penny. they have there own website. or you can find them at Liberty or Content Beauty & Wellbeing which is near Marylebone High Street. xoxo

15. Love this video thanks Ruth – I bought some products, including the seah mask and liz earle conditioner, after the last hair care video you did and it make my hair condition about 100% better! Thank you, I think I’m going to get this babyliss hair tool thingy, I’ve never used any hair tools ever (except a hair drier) in my life so it’s a big step for me haha! I’ll let you know how I get on. xx

16. Niamh says:

Have you tried coconut oil as a hair mask or body moisturiser? I’ve heard good things……. x x

17. marijana says:

I completely agree with all the things you said. For about three years I had horrible problems with my hair, it would grow less than 5mm a month and the ends kept breaking, my clothes was covered in little broken spit ends. A year ago, I stopped using any heat on it (no blow drier, no flat iron, nothing) I also began using oil mixtures on my roots and ends before every washing( and I leave them on for 2 hours, then shampoo twice) , and, since my hair is naturally quite dry, I washed it every 5-7 days. Now, it grows about 2-2,5 cm a month, looks healthy, shiny, just wonderful. AND I color it every 6 weeks..and I have NO spit ends, even though I haven’t cut my hair in almost a year. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience, hope somebody finds it useful :)
    Btw, love your blog, and youtube chanel, and just can’t wait for the daily mix videos to start broadcasting :D