I have to say: haircare does not make the ideal Christmas present. There’s something distinctly unglamorous about even the most lush and effective hair products – I suppose it’s just hard to package them up in a sexy way! I have, however, done a little rummaging through the coffrets on offer this year and found some little gems. Or BIG gems, in some cases. See what you think – and let me know, please, in the comments, whether or not you’d be happy with haircare in your Christmas stocking.
1) Joico K-Pak duo, chosen for its sheer brilliance and not for the packaging. Though the packaging isn’t bad, it’s just not that festive. I love that the copy on the box means business, though: The Ultimate in Hair Repair. Go Joico! I used K-Pak on my hair when it had been bleached five times in one week (don’t ask) and I have a feeling it helped some way in stopping me from going bald. Good stuff. This set is actually a nice saving, if you usually use K-Pak products – on FeelUnique it’s £18.65 and the value is around £30. Get it here with free delivery.
2) Mammoth Philip Kingsley Flaky Itchy shampoo. No, not glamorous, but it’s HUGE! I know, I know, quality not quantity and all that, but this actually happens to be one of the best and gentlest itchy scalp shampoos that I’ve tried and I repurchase on a regular basis. Won’t need to do that again for at least….ooooh….ten years?! It’s £42 for a litre and at that quantity, the price-per-ml is less than half of what it is bought in 100ml quantities. Again, good value if this is your usual shampoo – it’s £42.45 at Escentual.com
3) Not a shampoo, but they do huge shampoos in this size as well: Aveda’s Rosemary Mint body wash. £45 for one litre, or £16 for 250ml. Go figure! Looks great in the bathroom and I do find that regular usage of Aveda products builds up this kind of “ambient” Aveda smell – it’s like a very subtle bathroom fragrance! Find it at LookFantastic.com and your local Aveda stockist.
4) If you’re looking for cool packaging then Giles Deacon’s designs for Label.M are brilliant! I particularly love the toiletries pouch on the left hand side of the picture above. It’s currently free with any two purchases on the Label.M website, but a site called Bellazo seem to have a better range of gifts and stocking fillers. (Please note: I haven’t ever ordered from them so can’t vouch for speed of delivery and so on!)
5) The Trevor Sorbie Beautiful Volume mini kit contains four travel-sized products for – well, you can probably guess. The shampoo and conditioner are very good, actually – I have these little travel sizes and sometimes take them with me if I’m on a shoot abroad, just to give my hair a little bit of extra oomph when I wash it. Hint, though: the full-sized products are a fiver each and they’re on 3-for-2 at the moment in Boots, so… If it’s not a gift, it’s a no-brainer, really – go for the big ones! Boots.com
6) Chic, glossy black packaging and four full-sized products inside, this Awapuhi set from Paul Mitchell is something of a winner! The Awapuhi shampoo (this version, not the one in the white bottle) is my favourite of the moment and I love the styling oil too. The conditioner in this set isn’t a rich, heavy treatment, it’s more along the lines of The Detangler from their classic range. A light rinse that can be used root to tip. I really like it, though it’s not heavy duty enough for the ends of my hair. Those with natural, un-treated, soft hair will find it a dream for simply detangling and leaving a bit of a sheen. This set is the deluxe set, but there are others at a lower price point – the “care” set has the shampoo, conditioner and keratin treatment and is £40. You can browse the Paul Mitchell sets on their website.
© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.