Urban Decay: Oz the Great and Powerful Palettes

Posted · 43 Comments

Disney Oz the Great and Powerful

Well these palettes from Urban Decay are a whole bunch of fun! They’re being released ahead of the Disney movie, Oz The Great and Powerful which is set to be one of the biggest blockbusters of 2013. It’s going to star Michelle Williams as Glinda (good witch, sickeningly sweet, blah) and Mila Kunis as Theodora (sexy, strong, red-lipped witch – yay) and the two Urban Decay palettes are named after their characters.

Disney Oz the Great and Powerful Makeup You can probably tell WITCH IS WITCH (geddit?) by the colour schemes; Theodora’s palette is darker and smokier than Glinda’s and has a fiery red super-saturated lip colour rather than a neutral tone. Each palette comes with six new eyeshadow shades, two of which are duo-shades that are more of a bonus inclusion rather than anything that’s essential for the witchy “look”. Both palettes come with a get-the-look card that’s actually very comprehensive and easy to follow – I’ll be creating one of the looks in a video soon, probably the Theodora (bad witch) one because I love the sultry eyes.

oz the great and powerful makeup review eyeshadow Here’s a closer look at the Glinda palette – the shadows are quite sheeny and pastelly, though there’s also a deep purple (top left) called “Tornado” that packs a punch. I really, really love the peach shade (lower left) for brightening the lids – it’s called “Illusion” – and lovers of frosted shadows will enjoy the duo on the top row, “Aura”. Glinda’s get-the-look actually uses most of these shadows, except the Duo on the bottom row, “Oz”. If you’re into a pretty, springtime eye then you’ll find this palette very useful. It also comes with a purple 24/7 eyeliner pencil (would stay on through a sauna session) and a super-saturated high-gloss pencil in a beautiful pinky-nude.

Disney Oz the Great and Powerful Makeup review The Theodora palette is more interesting to me, though. Probably because I love neutrals and smoky eye colours and so I think I’d get more use out of this, but also because I love the quite retro pairing of a dark eye with a bold lip. It’s a little bit eighties, a bit Addicted to Love, and totally, one-hundred-percent sex-siren.

Oz the great and powerful makeup palette review

There are three incredibly handy matte shades across the top row; “Broken”, “Beware” and “Bewitch”. These are used to create the smouldering eyes and also a touch of deep, shimmering brown from the bottom left – “West”. The get-the-look doesn’t use either of the shadow duos (“Spell” and “Jealous”) but I think that they’re fun additions. You can pop out any of the shadow pans anyway, so you could swap in some of your favourite shades from elsewhere if you wanted to. I love the gold and navy shimmer duo, though, that could be put to great use! Theodora’s palette comes with a 24/7 eye pencil in “Zero” (jet, jet black) and a super-saturated pencil in brightest red.

Both palettes have large mirrors in the lids and, as mentioned, the pans can be popped in and out should you want to mix things up a little. I think that this is a really fun collaboration and pretty good value for money too. Bought individually (which is impossible, as they are new shades for these palettes) the shadows are about £14 each. The lip colour is also £14 and you get that and the half-size eye pencil as well as the six shadows. Cost? £35. I’ll let you know when they’ve dropped into Debenhams at the end of the month but I’ll pop a video up before then and attempt to recreate the Theodora look!

43 Responses to "Urban Decay: Oz the Great and Powerful Palettes"
  1. Aimee Bane says:

You should totally do a video on using one of these! I fell in love when they both caught my eye but £30 is a little steep for me at the moment!

2. Helene says:

Just got the Teodora palette. Love it! thanks for point me to it, as we don’t have Urban Decay in Sweden, unless the newis Sephora has the brand. Thet store is unconvinient for me to go to, unfortunately. Love your mails, videos, blog. Keep it up!

3. lizchewy says:

Now online @Debenhams, plus 10 % off with Daily Mail voucher code (just google it =) have just ordered Glinda palette tonight!

4. can’t wait to get them!

5. Shenanigans says:

Great Blog post, Ruth!
    I do enjoy reading your posts (and watching the YT videos)
    Could you do a review on a few Illamasqua products?
    They’re having a mega sale on their website too.
    x

6. Melissa says:

Please do swatch them in a video. They look beautiful in your pics.

7. Bang123 says:

Hello Ruth I just subscribe here now so excited to read and recieve the emails daily!! Do you think that this paletre would be avilable here in the US too? Thank you much;)

8. rachel97 says:

can’t wait for these to be released!!

9. Annette says:

Lovely! Cannot wait

10. Oh I love them. Thank you for sharing. :)

11. kitty paterson says:

Yup I’m a Theodora! x

12. Sandra D says:

Wow, these are beautiful! I am currently testing out the polishes beofre the launch and they too have this “whimsical” feel

13. Mimi says:

please please pretty please with a cherry on top swatch the palettes?

14. Oh these are gorgeous – I want both!

15. RandomlyDi says:

I really love this collection!
    it’s worth every penny. It has new shades, comes in a nice metal case, with a nice eye pencil and lip pencil and it’s not expensive!
    I’ll try to get at least Glinda’s, but I would love to get my hands into both kit’s!
    kisuu*

16. Vera says:

Hi Ruth,

Off topic question: what do you think about Elizabeth Arden’s 8 hour cream? I read some not-so-good reviews about the product saying it is just vaseline, petroleum-based jelly. Would you agree with that or there is actually andadded value that makes it worth paying about 20 dollars?

• RuthCrilly says:

Yeah. Meh. It’s a behind-the-scenes staple product, but there are better options out there now, I think. Depends whether you want them to be lanolin based or what, but things like Cicaplast for healing and Lanolips/Dr Lipp for intensive lip treatments… x

17. I want these just for the packaging alone! x

18. Nik Ash says:

I really love this! I’m going to check out Theodora’s palette. I might end up getting them both!

19. These look amazing–I can’t wait to see them in person! I thought immediately I would go for the Glinda palette but after further inspection, Theodora’s palette is gorgeous as well! I am really partial to wearing both green and purple on my eyes, so I don’t know how on earth I will be able to choose between the two!!

20. Kristen says:

I’m so excited for these!

Ruth, have you tried anything from the Dolce & Gabbana beauty line? Sephora just started carrying it in the states and it occurred to me that I’ve never heard of anyone actually using it…

21. Mo says:

Love these!
    On another tack, I know you love your Omorovicza — but have you seen that QVC is now offering a trial set for less than £32?! Item no 203048.

22. Lucy says:

can you do both looks? I love both pallete’s and not being willing to part with quite that much money I need to choose one :) they’re so contrasting both videos would be interesting!

23. Angela says:

Are you going to swatch the colors? I’m interested in seeing them cuz I have tons of UD already.

24. shauna says:

omg i think i love u lol – been wondering about this for ages :) and £35 – they will be mine

25. Elizabeth says:

Wow. These look beautiful.

26. sandratheblackpearl says:

Oh wow, eye candy for Urban Decay addicts :) I am so excited for these!

27. Suzi Q says:

Can anyone advise how long one should reasonably await delivery from the UK to the States before becoming concerned? There was a long delay the last time I ordered from Beauty Bay, but even after upgrading to premium, it’s now been 12 days since the order was shipped. Discounting Sunday when there’s no mail delivery, 11.

Gosh Ruth, I **had** to try the Liquid Gold serum along with my 2nd Liquid Gold topical when Beauty Bay held their sale.

• RuthCrilly says:

Oooh, was it on sale?!!!!!
      I wouldn’t get too worried about the package yet… I sent something to someone in the states and it took 14 days altogether to get through,..
      x

• Madii says:

I hate Beauty Bay and I will NEVER shop there again. I live in Poland, and usually it takes 5 days for me to get packages from the UK. I ordered 1 lipgloss on the 5th of December and I got it on the 8th of January. And I paid extra for the “premium” delivery as well. Awful! Never again.

28. jcjccmz says:

I’m a Theodora xo

29. JenniferMonforton says:

Wow, both of these look absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for piquing my interest, Ruth! :)

30. Strawbry_Blonde says:

These are gorgeous Ruth – actually love both palettes, oops! x