Five diet tips from a model recommends

I know that the healthy eating tips in the following video are pretty much common sense, but sometimes I do think that we lose sight of the basics when we think about health and diet. There are so many (frankly ridiculous) diets out there and some of the advice on the internet is absurd! It’s no wonder that people can’t stick to a diet when it involves only eating maple syrup with chilli in it or some such nonsense… The ones that people seem to do best with are the plans that, when you look at them properly, simply reduce portion sizes and encourage you to eat less sugar and bad fats. Programmes like Weightwatchers seem to be quite good for this – they don’t particularly “ban” anything, but the bad foods are so many points that you’d be crazy to give up a day’s worth of food for them!

So here we go with my five basic diet tips. Obviously there are more things that float around my head when it comes to food and healthy eating, but these are the five that I try to live by. I actually hate the word diet, as you’ll see if you watch the video, but here I’m using it in a “what to eat” sense rather than a “faddy crash diet” sense. If you know anything about me, you’ll know that I hate faddy diets. I did quite enjoy my fat-and-protein-only one, but that was a kickstart thing for just twelve days – I’d never advocate cutting out whole food groups for any particular length of time. It’s all about balance, eating simply and freshly and getting some exercise.

There’s a lengthy disclaimer at the start of the video – sorry if it’s boring, but it’s entirely necessary in these days of sensationalist journalism. I have to cover my back! I know that there will be some people who see “model” and “diet” in the same sentence and assume that it’s something irresponsible, and I can’t have that happening. As you all know me so well, you can skip the intro if you like and go straight in at about 2 minutes 30 seconds. If you’d like to subscribe to my Youtube channel then just click here – if you can’t see the video pane (should be able to now, except if you’re reading via email subscription) then please click here!

Share →

26 Responses to My Five Basic Diet Tips

1. Jasmin Weber says:

Hi Ruth.
    Thanks for your video, I really enjoyed watching it. I totally agree with you and I think that this whole “You are fat, go on diet” industry(by the way I also hate the word “diet”) is not good for us, because I do not know anybody, who likes her/his figure.
    I am a big fan of your blog and I think you are a really nice person.
    Greetings from Austria.
    Jasmin

2. Marilyn says:

You are gorgeous! Do you know what is your BMI? I am your age and would love to have a body like yours. I am quite underweight at the moment and aim to pile pounds up but I don’t know up to what…

3. [...] here we go with my five basic diet tips. Obviously there are more things that float around my head when it comes to food and healthy [...]

4. Petra says:

I have just subscribed. Think your videos and web sites are very inspiring. Please keep on posting stuff about healthy eating. Although I know all these things, it’s always good to hear them again in some consistent, organised way, not having it floating in your head. Thank you.

5. Jen says:

Hi Ruth, I’m a big fan of your blog and use and love a lot of the products you recommend i.e. Liquid Gold :)
    Great post, although I would like to hear more about your exercise routine etc? How often you go to the gym, do you do classes or stuff by yourself, do you much weights?

6. [...] My Top Five Model Diet Tips | A Model Recommends http://www.amodelrecommends.com/Model Ruth Crilly with five basic, common sense diet tips for a healthy lifestyle. [...]

7. Maria says:

Another tip with restaurants which is common sense, if you can’t finish a big meal, you can always put it in a doggy bag. That means you won’t have to miss out on a starter/dessert if you really want them, plus, you’ll have something tasty to eat the next day!

8. Athena says:

You’ve outlined exactly what I think about healthy eating! “If you don’t buy it, you can’t eat it” is my number one rule:) I love how simple and clear you put it, some people make healthy eating sound like such a complicated task, while it’s actually super simple!

9. Claudia says:

ohh, I agree completely with you! and I also hate the word diet.. people go crazy with that topic. I used to argue with people about that topic but now I don’t even bother.. people think they have to ban themselves from eating anything at all, allow themselves to just eat THAT one thing the whole time or pop some silly diet pill and lose twenty kilos overnight.. it’s crazy! reasonable ingredients, portion control on treats, a bit of excercise, loads of water.. and you’re good to go. losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight aren’t some impossible magical tasks.. but apparently people still think that, haha.

10. Kitty says:

Hi Ruth,
    This is a great video. Thanks for making it!

11. Ahrum Kim says:

I thought it was a fantastic video!

12. ROKderm says:

Love this! I think a lot of people think models don’t eat, but in reality, I think those who become models have first of all a good genetic background, and on top of that there’s this healthy attitude towards food and eating. I’m doing well with this myself, but I do absolutely overeat all the time, so I should really get into the habit of stopping that before my metabolism slows down.. tictoc.

Thanks for a great video!

13. Frankie says:

what are good things to eat for lunch? I’m a student so usually opt for a brown bread sandwich because it’s quick and easy but i’m getting bored! Any ideas??

14. Shannon says:

Great tips! Could you please share your make up that you are wearing. Thanks!!

15. Kelley says:

Thank you so much for your excellent advice. I have seen your other videos so I knew you enjoyed good quality, freshly prepared food. I have a preteen daughter ( body image and food issues start at such a young age now) so I think it is extremely important that young girls understand you can have a healthy, beautiful body by eating nutritious, appealing food and not starving yourself.You have an amazing message Ruth. Thank you for being a great role model.

16. p.s. I liked the video and thumbs up to your ethos, forgot to say that! x

17. I personally don’t think diets work, they just make you miserable or give you a temporary solution and a billion dollar industry thrives on this fact, but what does work are long-term lifestyle changes and understanding what the reasons are behind a weight problem in the first place. And the latter can be intimidating, I’d be the first to put my hand up to say so!