about a model recommends ruth crilly

I made this video to mark an interesting occasion: 100,000 subscribers on Youtube. I say “interesting” because I honestly didn’t set out to make Youtube videos - A Model Recommends, for me, was mostly about the writing. I made little product review videos to embed into this site as a way of showing products in action, really, and I suppose to give you a little bit of multimedia to keep things colourful. I didn’t expect to gather such a crowd over there in the world of Youtube, so in a way it’s quite bizarre! Anyway, thanks to those who do watch the videos and who leave nice comments, it’s great!

If you hate videos and can’t stand Youtube then this isn’t a particularly engaging post for you and I’m sorry about that, but if you do like the odd video then give this one a watch. It’s just a bit about myself and my career – a structured ramble. I’m going to make a more in-depth video about how I started modelling because so many people ask me to, but for now I’ve just skimmed over the basic facts. I’ll be making a second part to this video so that I can answer all of the questions that are raised in the comments – if you have a burning query then please do leave a comment yourself underneath the video. (Or on this post if you can’t be bothered to click through!)

A word about the title - Perhaps I’m Not Your Average Model? It’s in no way meant to suggest that I consider myself above-average or below-average or anything like that – it’s a humorous nod at the model “stereotype” that some people buy into. Models aren’t all five-feet-ten and ridiculously skinny – I’m not going to lie and say that they “come in all shapes and sizes” because fashion models really don’t. They’re all pretty tall and pretty trim. But they don’t all look the same, they’re not perfect and they’re usually not stupid. (Eighteen year-olds with four languages (fluent) and the ability to ship themselves around the world  (alone) practically self-managing? Not my idea of stupid. There are some absolute spanners, of course there must be, but you get clueless people in all walks of life.)

Hope you enjoy this video – if you’re on email you’ll have to click this link to watch it (keeps your emails fast, it’s better that way!)

Share →

25 Responses to Perhaps I’m Not Your Average Model?

1. AnnaO says:

OMG WOW definitely NOT an average model or an average person!!! You are unique in that you are beautiful inside and out. An you are definitely more than average in the humanity department. The fact you take so much time to help to demystifyi the industry secrets et al makes you perfect in my view. I wish you sucess in everything you do. love Anna x

2. RuthCrilly says:

Ah, thanks very much xx

3. Ruth! I love your shirt! Where can I get it?

4. I started following your YT and blog because you’re not the average model. You are awesome, I appreciate your opinions, honesty and the time you invest in your blog and videos. I think you’re gap is sexy and congrats to all your success.

5. Jay says:

Congratulations on the 100k mark! It seems like your view counts on your recent videos has significantly increased which is super since you deserve them!

6. Libertygillian says:

Hi Ruth, congratulations on your success. Am a big fan and look forward to the daily emails. My question is: how do you organise your makeup and beauty products and do you have any tips for good storage units or cases?

7. Aria says:

What happened with the competition with Models 1? Or are you doing a different video about that? Thanks x

8. Vladimira says:

Ruth,thank you for sharing your beauty tips. I’m mother of two little ones and don’t have time to go to shops and look for perfect products. Wish you all the best!

9. Jen says:

Congrats on the milestone, Ruth. So exciting! Your blog and Youtube channel are really top-notch. You’re always so informative and a pleasure to watch! Well-deserved :)

10. nienkevanderpeet says:

Like the vid, although I disagree about models not coming in “all shapes and sizes”. Don’t forget about the plus models! They’re still tall but in quite a few different shapes (and I’d know, am one myself ;-). But otherwise, I love the website and think you’ve built a great career for yourself besides modelling.

11. Mette Gerhardt says:

Yeaaa Qs and As with Ruth! My question, after having seen almost all of ! ;) your videos I don’t think I have seen you ever use tonics and serums. I am thinking of clarifying lotions like Clinique’s clarifying lotion or SKII and Estee Lauder’s Advanced night Repair or Idealist Skintone Illuminator. So, if you do use these products why – and if not, why not!? Looking forward to the next video then …Enjoy LFW, Mette

12. Helen says:

Ruth, I think you deserve all the success in the world, you’re such a hard worker (from doing reviews, writing, to filming) but your talent speaks for itself. Alot of youtubers rant and rave about products, but all seem rather insipid and dull :/ You offer a more personal touch and I like it how you have done alot of research about the products and it shows! I trust your opinion more so that others out there who only bought something because it’s the newest edition to this, or that, or it smells good (oh come on…). I enjoy reading your blog too, you write in such a fluid and articulate way, I think my secondary school english teacher would be proud of your grammar! As for your videos, I really like it how you’re not following the trend, so to speak, like having a white background or an overly pristine “bedroom” all adorned with fairy lights. Alot of people are copying each other’s style and it can get really boring and “same-y”! It’s such a delight to watch you doing different things around your house, like your kitchen, your living room, your other rooms and your roof terrace! All I can say that is that whatever you’re doing, keep doing it because I love it! You’re individual style in your reviews is so unique and I really like your videos because of that! I think we should all have a party to celebrate your success!!!

WOOO! CONGRATS, RUTH!!!! WOOOO!! *dances*

13. Anita says:

i read your posts every morning with my cup of tea, even before I check the news, and thats because you are different. Congratulations on reaching the 100,000 mark. I would like to ask you about how you manage the website. Frankly its very professional looking with a very clean look about it, good multimedia experiences and good navigations. Do you do all the stuff by yourself or do you get some help? Thank you for taking the time to read through my query.

14. Maggie says:

Hi Ruth, it was so lovely to meet you on Sunday at the Triumph event. (I was the
    brunette lawyer going dog walking, for want of a better description.) It
    must seem an age ago to you what with all your Fashion Week excitement. V jealous! I hope your feet are recovering! If you ever need someone to review a
    product or help with anything don’t hesitate to let me know. Mxox P.S. Lovely video – goes without saying.

• RuthCrilly says:

Ah, thanks so much for coming down, it was lovely to meet you! My feet still feel as though they’ve been hit with a stick… x

15. Margaret says:

Ruth,what about Actors do you know?;)))I’m 25 too late for modeling.

16. must be that excellent English accent as well :-)

17. bryonydodds says: