Beautiful Books that Won’t Break the Bank…

christmas gift guide books

I can’t get over quite how gorgeous Penguin’s Clothbound Classics are. I feel as though they should be framed! I’m going to talk more about pretty Christmas gifts on Monday but I thought that these deserved a standalone mention – just look at the flamingos on Alice and the whales on Moby Dick!

These are definitely books that are just screaming out to be wrapped up and put under the Christmas tree – on Monday I’ll be showing you how I mixed and matched them with various beauty bits and knick-knacks to create some slightly rustic looking packages. Something to look forward to, surely. Because you want nothing more than to watch me faff about with sellotape and bits of brown paper…

penguin clothbound classics

Penguin Clothbounds cost just over ten pounds on Amazon here – brilliant value for money, I think. Have a browse of all the titles and designs – I have to confess to picking mine out by the cover alone. There’s a moral there somewhere…

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. November 23, 2013 / 6:59 am

Those books are gorgeous! I’d love to add a few pretty books to my collection.

2. philippa
    November 23, 2013 / 8:10 am

Aw, these are lovely! They’d look brilliant displayed on a shelf somewhere, next to a candle.. (:

PHILIPPALOVES

3. Wheelingalong24
    November 23, 2013 / 8:10 am

Now I’m going to have to get some of these….I wonder what else they have cause most of my classics are falling apart & could do with replacing x

4. Faith Robinson
    November 23, 2013 / 8:29 am

Have just purchased Jane Eyre for my Gran’s Christmas Present! Thanks for this spot Ruth!

5. Helle D.
    November 23, 2013 / 9:43 am

Sometimes it’s ok to judge a book by its cover :-). They are absolutely gorgeous!!!

6. Kay
    November 23, 2013 / 9:55 am

I love actually books, by actually I mean rather than ebooks, I love the smell and actually holding them and turning the page (making me sound rather strange!) I had quite bad dyslexia growing up and it wasn’t until I was around 13 that I managed to read a semi grown-up book from cover to cover, I remember finishing it on the bus on my way home from school I must have looked slightly odd as I was trying to contain my excitement LOL. Now at 26 I’ve turned into a book ninja! I’ve lost count of how many I’ve read now. These books would look beautiful on a shelf, would make a fantastic Christmas present for an avid reader.

7. Maria
    November 23, 2013 / 10:59 am

I love reading books and when you add a fairy tale, a classic and a pretty cover I just can’t resist! I know we are not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but seriously, how wouldn’t I do that? Books are one of the basics pieces of decoration in my room, I think they add something kind of rustic and whimsical feeling that makes it really cozy. I am going to search for some titles I don’t own yet and try to expand my collection and, why not, my knowledge :)

8. November 23, 2013 / 12:24 pm

Books are my absolute favorite present to give. I try to pick one out for each family member at Christmas.

9. Eva Williams
    November 23, 2013 / 6:38 pm

The power of AMR – Alice has sold out on Amazon since I first read your post this morning Ruth! I hope they get it back soon, I would love to have it in my Christmas stocking.

10. Bev
    November 23, 2013 / 9:06 pm

Thank you, refreshing to read a present ideas blog with beautiful books featured. Love your blog Ruth

11. Rito
    November 23, 2013 / 11:52 pm

I love this post!! Thanks so much for putting it together! Your blog & YouTube channel are wonderful!!!

12. Joana
    November 24, 2013 / 1:23 am

I love that collection: I have Sense and Sensibility, it is light blue and pink <3 aw gorgeousness!
    Just came by after seeing your video: I also loved the other book recommendations. I write down what I read already but it's nice to be able to add some comments about the books. And the Q&A one is intriguing!

13. Marleen
    November 24, 2013 / 10:46 am

I love the regular Pengiun editions from books, as a student of literature I can’t live without them! These look indeed very nice to give!

onadailybeautybasis.blogspot.com

14. Guest
    November 24, 2013 / 9:42 pm

Beautiful post and video Ruth. My mum will be receiving one of the clothbound classics for her 70th birthday next week – many thanks for the inspiration. x

15. Katie Albury
    November 25, 2013 / 3:05 pm

Oh my…I adore these books! I literally couldn’t fly over to Amazon quick enough to purchase! I was thinking the exact same thing…is it wrong to pick a book judging it by the cover…?

Great find!

Katie x

16. Alex
    November 25, 2013 / 8:54 pm

I absolutely love these, great choice of classics as well! They also do a great F. Scott Fitzgerald series that looks as glamorous on the bookshelf as books could possibly look (and they’re great reads!).

17. Jessica T.
    November 28, 2013 / 2:47 am

Love the look of these books. Plus there are some good classics to choose from to keep on the shelves.

18. Franny
    November 28, 2013 / 11:25 am

Hello Ruth, I totally love the look of those penguin clothbounds too. I also watched your latest book recommondation video on youtube but couldn’t post a comment there. I just wanted to tell you that you absolutly have to read the books by swedish author Jonas Jonasson “The 100-year-old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared” – I gave that as a present a couple of times already and it has been well received each time. His latest book is called “The girl who saved the king of Sweden” and it is equally amazing. Both really witty books, such a pleasure to read. http://jonasjonasson.com/books/
    Love from Germany, Franny