The Five Day Juice Detox: Thoughts

Posted · 66 Comments

jason vale juicemaster detox review

Drinking four lots of juice a day instead of eating actual food isn’t my idea of a laugh, but I agreed to take part in the World’s Biggest Juice Detox for a number of reasons, the main one being (as it so often is) curiosity. I had the insatiable urge to know what kale, spinach, courgette and avocado would taste like pulverised into a bright green liquid. I could not rest at night until I had tasted the mingled juices of pear and parsnip. I had to  know, for certain, that I could drink something containing liquified broccoli stem and not throw up.

In all seriousness, I have been curious about this “juicing” thing for quite some time. Whilst I’m sceptical about most diets (sceptical at best; mostly they irritate me and some I find to be downright irresponsible, but more on that another time), I do like to have a dabble with some of the more appealing ones for research purposes. Some of the shorter detoxes and health “kickstarts” are actually very good for learning good habits (finding recipes without lots of refined carbs, for example) and getting rid of bad ones. If you’re the kind of person who has toast for breakfast, a baguette for lunch and pasta for dinner, some of these short detox plans can be great for giving you the confidence to try alternative meals and types of cuisine. At the very least, they make you really think about what you’ve been feeding yourself on and give you the chance to re-evaluate your lifestyle.

Anyway, my interest in juicing was piqued. You see these bizarre juice and smoothie combinations all over the place now – kale and turnip with blueberry, banana, lime and brussel sprouts – and many people swear by them for getting a healthy energy fix or for “cleansing the system”. (I suspect that lots of people drink them out of guilt – eight pints and a few tequila shots the night before and then a “green juice” to absolve them of their sins! I once worked with a hair stylist who harped on non-stop about juicing but used to go on the most terrible benders every weekend. Complete madness.) The World’s Biggest Juice Detox follows a five-day juicing plan* devised by the “Juicemaster” Jason Vale. Every day you make yourself four big juice smoothies from (literally) a mountain of fresh produce and by the end of the five days you are supposed to be thoroughly ship-shape and cleansed.

five day juice detox

Comments so far:

1) Most of the juices (including the one with broccoli stem) have been entirely tasty, if not delicious. The ginger “espresso” shot first thing in the morning (half an apple juiced with a chunk of ginger) is the biggest shock to the system you could probably get from something that isn’t a chemical. It makes you go quite, quite zingy.

2) The Philips Viva HR1863 juicer is brilliant. I haven’t owned any other juicer before (being a juice virgin) but having grilled a number of friends about theirs, it is apparent that the Viva is incredibly easy to clean and that it’s juicing powers are impressive. I’ve had to stop myself from testing out various non-edible things to see if it would juice them…this machine would get blood out of a stone, I think. There’s something really satisfying, too, about popping whole apples and pears and sticks of celery into the top of the machine and watching them get eaten up. Mr AMR has become quite obsessive. “What juice is next? Shall we make a batch in advance?”

3) I’m still not 100% clear on why it is so beneficial to drink all of this fruit and veg rather than eat it, but it seems that the main purpose is that it gives the digestive system a bit of a rest. I definitely feel as though the juices are quite soothing on my stomach and there’s been no bloating or unpleasant side effects. After two full days I certainly feel cleaner inside and (according to Mr AMR) have a healthy spring in my step. I’m impressed.

4) In all honesty though, I don’t know whether I have the willpower to do the full five days. I’m starting to dream about SALAD of all things. Whatever happens, though, I’m confident that I’ll be incorporating a bit of juicing into my life on a regular basis. One of the breakfast smoothies, in particular, was absolutely delicious (banana, live yoghurt, strawberries, apple juice) and the “ginger espresso shot” is a great way to start the day. I can also see myself making the odd veggie juice when I’m feeling particularly jaded… The juices just make you feel instantly good. Yes, in a smarmy, smug, annoying-to-others kind of way. Sorry!

So, in conclusion: this cynic is pleasantly surprised by the whole juicing business. The five day programme is pretty straightforward to follow, if you fancy having a go – you can get the book on Amazon. Does anyone out there “juice”? Any tips, recipes, horror stories? Do share. My one beef (ha!) with the whole thing is that the veg juices smell very…er…sulfurous when you pour them into the glass. I kept thinking that it was the dog…

*NB: this juice detox is called 5lbs in 5 days. I would like to make it clear that I didn’t follow the plan to lose weight (I am at a healthy weight already) but for the cleansing or “detoxing” benefits.

66 Responses to "The Five Day Juice Detox: Thoughts"
  1. Stacy says:

Funny that I reading this now, on your new found adventure with juicing. I’ve owned my nutri bullet for over a year or so, and like a lot of these “good for you things” they can fall to the wayside after a while. But I was feeling a bit sluggish .. And started to question ?? What might I be missing. So out came the juicer & a good multiple vitamin, and after a few days, I was feeling quite ‘zingy’ and back to myself again. Hope it keeps it magic :-) for you and me both ! Hugs, Stacy

2. elisa says:

juice are good but not instead of eating because be careful the fruits and the vegetables juiced lose a lot of its antioxidants such as vitamins because they are extremely labile to uv, oxigen, heat, light etc…

3. lauren says:

hiya,
    i’ve tried many various ways of weight loss before but nothing seemed to work for long! after having my daughter i’ve finally had enough and need to get back into shape!

Do you think the juice 5days then healthy solids 2days would help me to lose weight (obviously with excising)

any help’advice would be much appreciated, thankyouu! x

• Ruth Crilly says:

I think it’s a good way to kickstart a healthier approach – I wouldn’t want to do it for more than a couple of days, but it does break bad habits quite nicely! I veggie curry seems like a dream after juicing! x

4. Rianna says:

Hi Ruth.

I have considered this juice fast on many occasions, however there is one small issue that is putting me off. I am sure I read somewhere that the juice doesn’t last for more than a few hours, so you have to be near a juicer all the time? Therefore I couldn’t bring multiple juices into the office and drink them throughout the day? What do you think of this?

Thanks

Rianna

• Ruth Crilly says:

Yeah, apparently you have to drink the juice very fresh. But I imagine that if you keep it refrigerated then you can take your lunch one in with you? xx

5. Maris says:

I only found this blog today when searching for Eve Lom make up reviews (which I am very thankful for and have got myself EL Mineral Foundation Powder and absolutely LOVE it!) and in reading through the posts and watching videos I am very pleased to see the juicing post! I swear by Jason Vale’s juicing programs and have been juicing now every single day for nearly 10 years! My breakfast is always one of his recipes and when you’ve done the juicing for so long you get very creative when any of the ingredients are missing so please do not feel trapped if you’ve run out of spinach leaves or any other ingredients. Just take something else and mix up. Over time you will get to understand how different vegetables and fruits work together. One thing you should never leave out, is the avocado because avocado has the necessary essential fats which slower the sugar rush from fruits and balances the juices.
    The big Juicemaster Spring Clean starts next Monday 31st March and that is also based on the 5 day program. I cant recommend the juicing enough to everyone! Especially winter and spring time when so many people are ill around us, starting your day with the ginger espresso will definitely protect you from any cold going round. I am on a 5 day plan already this week, will then have 2 days when I have my tasty salads and other healthy solid food and then form 31st will do another 5 days. Thats pretty common for many with his programs. Just as a side note I am a healthy woman in my mid thirties and in my ideal weight but I use these programs especially when I need to get more energy and focus. Its my exam time soon and today on 4th day I feel like I could stay up all night after 10 hours working day to study. Its just the energy you get and your skin gets clear, your mind is focused and people do comment. My Eve Lom consultant at Liberty’s today was commenting skin and eyes and I know its from all the juicing.
    Wanted to share my passion as it seem there are lots of nice people subscribed to this blog and I am very passionate about both beauty and health regimes so hope the above helps people to make up their mind about the Juicemaster programs.

• Irene says:

Just bought my first juicer today and was reading your comment with interest. Thanks for sharing!

6. pauline says:

All recipes say 2 servings. Would that do for 2 people?

7. Sarah B says:

Hi Ruth

Thank you for this post, I am already a juicing fan but was interested to see what kind of juicer you used. I have looked it up on Amazon but quite a few reviews say the motor burnt out quickly and started smoking! Did this happen to you at all? I dont really want to spend the money and then have to go through that.

x

8. Trixie says:

Hi there,

Green juices always great. I’m sure others will list recipes. Brussels Sprouts, string beans and Kale all excellent in juices. Always make and drink straight away. Longer juices sit around more nutrients are lost.

Quick and easy Kidney Cleanser Juice below :-

3 Celery sticks
    2 Carrots
    2 Tomatoes
    1 Lemon
    Whack of ginger optional for a kick

9. Erin says:

Hi Ruth! Long time reader and first time commentator. Juicing is great for you as long as they are low glycemic index foods. I don’t think it’s good to fast for too long even with juice. There are a lot of good programs out there that advocate juicing along with light easily digestible meals or smoothies. Other than that, a green juice or ginger shot are amazing additions to a healthy diet!

10. Andrea says:

I can’t help but think that these sort of things are a terrible idea. Yes, it’s great to get all those vitamins but where is the protein?

• Vicky says:

BElieve it or not, most vegetables like spinach contains protein…how do you think gorillas who mainly eat vegetables are so big? it is a misconception that eating meat leads to more muscle (protein). Most people who ate meat, especially red meat, at older ages they have triglycerids or other problems due to the acidity of meat…read more babe!

• Andrea says:

Absolute rubbish, there is no where near enough protein in just fruit and veg for someone who exercises (properly) a lot.

When did I say that eating meat leads to more muscle? I didn’t! Eating enough protein repairs and therefore helps to maintain lean muscle.

• Isabel says:

Hi Andrea, the idea that we need an obscene amount of protein IS a myth. As long as you eat enough calories throughout the day you won’t have any problem meeting your protein needs. As a vegan I have 0 problem with getting enough protein (protein combining is a myth too). In reality people that eat a lot of meat and animal products get TOO MUCH. If your only juicing for no more than 5 days or so then it’s probably not an issue, you aren’t going to wither away and die. Obviously if you juice forever then you will run into problems and malnutrition. You probably shouldn’t excercise if you’re juicing anyway.

11. daisy robinson says:

gently warmed apple juice with cinnamon on a cold day or in the evening is nice.
    sweet potato,courgette,carrots,oranges and half an organic lemon with the peel on is my fave.
    i find ice makes the juices nicer.
    love the green ones too- its quite a shock !
    i did 7 days once and lost 7lbs (i needed to)but was nibbling on cashews by the end.biting real food felt strange afterwards but now just do it to get nutrients in.

12. Khannablog says:

I have also been on the fence about juicing and I think this post has pushed me over the edge to 1) buy a juicer, 2) make willy wonka combinations and 3) hopefully produce some good health effects! :) Thanks Ruth.

13. Elisabeth says:

I thought I try that as well last week and personally didn’t react well to the whole juicing business. I started feeling weak and nauseous at the end of day one, and day two was entirely spent in bed and I couldn’t keep any food or drink in. So I switched (so not what you do) to brown rice and steamed vegetables and that was beautiful and nourishing. Next time I try to cleanse I may just do 10 days of brown rice. Seems to agree better with me.

• Ruth Crilly says:

I think 10 days would be a bit much on just brown rice?!! I’ll be honest; I’m surprised you’d feel weak at the end of day one, because you are getting quite a lot of bulk from the masses of avocado and bananas and what-not that goes into them.. Maybe you were having an off day? xx

14. Jess L says:

Ruth, if you have Netflix or you may be able to find the video on Youtube, try watching Fat, sick and nearly dead. It will give you the motivation to not only finish the 5 days but to carry on juicing.

15. Charlotte says:

I love juicing, I bought a chepy jusicer from Argos to give it a go and was hooked, my favourite pick me up drink is just apples and carrots – gives me a proper energy boost! Very tempted to splash out on a better juicer soon :-)

16. Benjamin says:

I try to make a green juice every day – either in the morning or while dinner’s on if i’m starving. They’re a great way to improve your intake of vitamins and minerals, and I love the taste, but they definitely shouldn’t be seen as a substitute to food because the fibre is absent in a juice, and some enzymes can’t be extracted by a simple juicer…i’m a bit of a nutrition geek…my fave website is http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com for this kind of stuff…check it out (the refrigerator lookbooks are strangely exciting!)

• Ruth Crilly says:

What do you add to your green juice? Recipe please! x
      Apparently the juice contains all of the soluble fibre you need…or something. I am doing more research now. It seems clear that you wouldn’t want to adopt a juice-prevalent diet over a long period, but it seems to be good short term? x

• Benjamin says:

My basic is two apples, about an inch of ginger, a big slice of lemon, a handful of kale, a handful of spinach, a decent chunk of cucumber and a stick of celery. I add about a two inch piece of beetroot some days for extra ‘cleansing’ effect – still tastes delicious but is not quite as refreshing. My fave thing to do for a more filling juice/breakfast substitute is whizz half an avocado, or even a whole one in there with a hand blender. There’s a ‘New Year Cleansing Juice’ recipe on the http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com and something about five celebrities and their fave green juice recipes which i’ll be trying out too!

17. PeonyandPeach says:

I think I already have the book, in fact I’m pretty sure I’ve had it about 4 years. Yet to open/read it though :S oh dear *hurries off to go find it*

18. Guest says:

haha, sorry I meant jusjus.be:-)

19. Aline says:

Hi Ruth, as I am reading your post I am drinking my first juice of the day, from jusjus.com, they are a Belgian company that make the juices for you, I am on a 3 day Detox program, and you have to drink 6 juices a day, too many for me, I just can’t drink that much. And I have to be honest, the green ones are the worst, I love the orange one and the last one is an Almond milk juice, which is pretty nice. I am not sure if I will do it again in future, maybe I’ll just eat some fruit in the morning and for lunch instead. The drinks are about 9€ per bottle, you need 6 a day, so I paid more then 160€ for 3 days, pricey, but I was curious like you:-)
    PS: I love your beauty posts..

20. mageeski says:

This looks so cool. Ive always wanted to do this, but I don’t think it works so well with my college lifestyle

Emily | PENNY RUGBURN

21. I’m a Juice Cleansing Coach and yes, one of the reasons is to give your digestive system a rest, but the other is to get even more nutrition in than you would if you ate the produce. The best juice cleanses actually include a lot of juice (I recommend at least 4 liters to my clients), and in those cases, you could never, ever eat the produce it takes to make 4 liters of juices. So, your body is getting flooded with more nutrition than you have probably ever had in 1 day in your entire life; which allows tons of heaing to happen.

22. Pippin says:

Most bought the slow juicer (masticating) at one time but after researching & being faced with a parent with diabetes it isn’t an option now as the way fruit and veg are broken down spikes blood glucose a lot quicker than actually eating the fruit/veg.
    My dentist advised against it too. Possibly fine for healthy systems needing a short term detox but diabetics and tooth related problems should avoid juicing.

Aside from blood glucose issues anyone on blood thinning meds such as wafarfin have to watch vitamin K intake. Unfortunately those lovely green leafy veg (kale etc) very high in vitamin K which has an adverse effect by making the blood thicker/clot easily :( I know most following your blog will be fit/healthy but incase for parents or relatives it’s VIP to mention vitamin k in green juices.

They sound lovely for a short term healthy detox & we would have bought the juicer but other factors had to be taken into consideration.

Enjoy if your healthy but remember how many portions can be consumed as a juice. If set side by side could we eat all in one sitting!

23. Tsuna says:

Ruth, I think that it’s recommended to drink those veggies instead of eat it because when we plan to eat a veggie, unlike fruits, we heat them up and cooking veggies usually makes them lose tons of nutrients. Also when eating, it seems that most people don’t munch their foods with their teeths enough and that makes it harder for the stomach to digest it all but this blender breaks down the food perfectly.
    At least this is my guess.
    Thanks a lot for making this honest post, Ruth, I’ve seen beauty gurus juice all the time on youtube but never believed them when they were saying it tasted good. But eating all the superfoods and 5veggies a day seems suddenly possible with this quick technique and the recipes you mentionned sound pretty interesting (mind you I always thought the green juices were random mixes of all the veggies you could put your hands on but those you mentionned are specific mixes that sound really yummy!!).
    This post is pretty thoughts provoking, please make a video about this plan once you finish the week. Also do you plan to do some juices from time to time even once the juice detox plan is over? The ginger-apple one seems great to do in the morning!

24. Tiny Alis says:

This was really useful! Makes me want to give it a go myself :)

Tiny Alis.

25. Fernanda says:

I tried juicing for the first time September last year and everything you said about it is so true! I started craving salads and veg… It’s insane. lol My one horror story is about the very first juice I made. I forgot to add the cucumber (which waters down the more vegetably taste and makes it all a bit more bearable to me) and I just wanted to kill myself, it was so disgusting. LOL But afetr a few glasses you do learn to like the taste of the green juices, that is true!

26. Olivia C says:

I did a two-day juice similar to this one right before my summer holiday since I was going to the beach for a week and wanted to banish any bloat and prepare my system for 7 days of no sleep and LOTS of tequila.
    I didn’t find myself hungry per say, but like you said I really craved anything I could bite on, at one point even a cabbage head that was in the fridge was tempting.
    I lost around a kilo and a half (of water weight- juice detoxes help you eliminate toxins, not fat) and I felt less sluggish and noticed my skin was a little brighter.
    I wouldn’t necessarily repeat the experience because I eat clean 80% of the time and am quite active, so I lead a healthy lifestyle. I think a juice cleanse is a good shock to the system if you’ve over indulged a bit too much or just feel like your body could use a reboot.
    But good job and keep going! You’ll see that something like this can help you listen to your body and understand the difference between hunger and cravings

27. The juice craze can drive me batty sometimes! I think consuming all the fresh fruit and veg is great, but what folks are missing out on the dietary fiber.

With that being said, the morning apple and ginger juice sounds damn tasty!

• AnnaR says:

You said it here I think. If you’re going to consume fruit then eat the whole fruit, otherwise you’re just consuming a lot of sugar without any of the fibre in the skin and pulp to balance it out.

Added to which if must cost quite a lot of money to juice on a regular basis.

28. Yads says:

Hi Ruth, I’ve been reading your blog for almost a year and I love it!
    I tried this detox before and i didn’t see much results. The whole idea about a detox is to clean your body of toxins and all those chimicals we can’t avoid from food. Im currently on my 3rd day (of 10) of the clear plus detox diet. I been doing this twice a year for the las 4 or 5 years and is great! I can tell a huge change on my skin, my hair and the loss of volume (this is not to loose weight!) and even celullite fades a lot… on top of that I love the idea of not being hungry or in desperate need of something solid to eat.
    I don’t think I can put the link here but is easy so find over google ;)
    Hope that if you are looking for a good detox this help! Good luck with the juices! x

29. Sophie says:

This is such a great and thorough post, thank you for sharing!

Sophie

xxx

30. magdusia says:

where do you buy it? I saw one on Amazon for $700 USD. :X

31. Grace says:

I’m worried about having to be near a toilet all the time. Does it give you the runs, does anyone know?

32. Rachel says:

Mmm…I want to try the ginger & apple!

33. Michaela Pacalajova says:

What juicer are you using?

34. Marta says:

Great post Ruth, I’m planning on starting juicing again soon – try orange and spinach juice blended with a couple of basil leaves, it’s simple but very nice

35. Ms. Magpie says:

I love smoothies, and I make one for breakfast most mornings. Fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, and a green juice are my favorite. Don’t make the mistake of tossing in a few Omega-3 capsules like I did one time… unless you want to drink fish juice!

36. Zazie Bibi says:

really need to get in to drinking more juices, or making my own juices to make sure there are no added sugars and all that! xx

a-little-treat.blogspot.com

37. Shopaholic in London says:

Great post, I never considered juicing but it sounds fun, I might try one day at the time and see if I like it. Raw diet is also very interesting and surprisingly tasty.

38. nienkevanderpeet says:

I do love juicing. I don’t do it in a detox/lose weight kind of way. I just like to make 1 juice a day to add some extra vitamins etc into my diet. And must say, since I’ve been doing it for the past 2 months my skin has been completely clear and when I got a cold I managed to get rid of it in only 3 days! Which normally would take me at least a week. So I’m liking it. Also found it a great way to use up “left over” veggies. No more waste in my house. It all goes into the juicer. But I do think veggies are for juicing and fruit is for eating. Has to do with the sugars in the fruit and not getting the fiber when you juice them. So basically I’ll juice a couple of different veggies and might add a little bit of fruit for the flavour. Might look into getting a better one though since I got mine on an auction for ten pounds and would like one that extracts more juice.

39. Amy says:

I think I would pass out with hunger on juice alone (I even get light headed if I have soup and nothing else for lunch) but I’d definitely have it as part of my breakfast.

40. Ida D says:

I have a question, which pops up every time I see these juicing-detox-things; can you stay full for a whole day, including workouts/runs etc? Or do you need to eat other things?

41. Mette says:

I can understand you love the breakfast smoothie – I am one of those people who are not hungry in the morning but understand the importance of a healthy start, hence I start every morning with a banana-yoghurt-strawberry(blueberry)-grated ginger-flax seed-orange juice smoothie, yummie!

42. India Benjamin says:

I don’t think I could survive juicing but I really want to add like an occasional juice into my diet. Mainly because I have a gorgeous smoothie cup from paperchase!

43. Amanda says:

Hi Ruth – I love the Jason Vale recipes, especially the ginger ‘espresso’. You might also be interesed in the Joe Cross website http://www.rebootwithjoe.com and also http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com it’s a real eye opener, in my opinion.
    I don’t tend to do any particular ‘juice diets’, I generally have a tasty green juice for breakfast then eat a balanced diet for the rest of the day.
    Happy juicing ;)

44. Cris Rajic says:

I usually have them during the spring summer time but please share some recipes with us! Thanks in advance

45. Lottie Kerr says:

All the juices look delicious but I just don’t think I can face 5 days without chewing proper food!

Lottie x

46. Sk says:

Hello, I’ve heard that smoothies can be very damaging to teeth- something about the sugar converting to sucrose when broken/blended down. Has anyone else head this? I’m unsure how true it is.that said, after reading this post I’m buying one before work now!

47. Upa says:

Well, this is something I grew up with: my mom wouldn’t let me get out of bed without carrot juice first. Mind you: she grated the carrots and squeezed the juice through a cloth. She’d gotten a book written by a Dr.Walker – or as she pronounced it, Doktor Vokkerrrr, who’d written about juicing back in the 1920’s, I believe. It haunted my life, especially after she bought a machine years later. Her concoctions were not to be believed. No fruit, just veggies. And each health problem had a different formula. She lives on salad (very strange ones) and her juices. She’s almost 90 years old.

And she ALWAYS looked 20 years younger than her real age, an embarrassment to me when in high school, as you can imagine: wolf calls for my mom! She traveled abroad to many countries many times well into her 70’s. No wrinkles, beautiful skin, beautiful bright eyes, gorgeously thick & shiny hair.

Of course, I’ve rejected all this new stuff on juicing. I’d had my fill and let’s face it, when something is forced down our throats (pun intended) we rebel: typical mother/daughter thing.

But I AM my mother’s daughter and with all the horrid health issues I’ve had this past year, I decided to try juicing again. Hubs will freak out. We always hated it when she lugged her machineS to our house with her! (She Is a character!) But we must do what we must. Amazon here I come. Thanks for yet another kick in the pants, Ruth. (And at least I’m not getting another foundation, though the Chanel powder….ooh la la!) xx

48. Franzi says:

Keep going Ruth! You can do it! I believe in you!!!

49. Maria says:

My biochemistry professor was really against these “detox” juice cleanses. I don’t remember exactly what it was right now (at it’s too early for me to get up and check), but it was something to do with that it wasn’t good for your system at all… I wish I could remember… I will have to check up on it later…

FINURLIGHETER