A Brilliant Light Moisture Fluid for Oily and Combination Skin.

best cream for sensitive skin

I mentioned La Roche-Posay’s Toleriane Fluide a couple of weeks ago, but here it is again with its own full page review. Because it deserves one, absolutely; it’s a great option for people who would like a very lightweight, non-oily moisturiser that will hydrate and soothe in a very simple, uncomplicated way. This little moisturiser has been specifically formulated for skin that’s oily or combination but at the same time sensitive or easily aggravated so it’s an absolute gem for pulling out when you have those “crazy skin” weeks and just want to take everything back down to basics.

I actually discovered Toleriane Fluid when I was looking for cheaper alternatives to Omorovicza’s Elemental Emulsion, a wonderfully delicate skin hydrator that sets my beauty heart fluttering but also has a price-tag that would make my accountant a bit shouty. (You can read about EE here – it costs £95!)  Toleriane has absolutely nothing in common with Elemental Emulsion, formula wise, but in terms of texture and overall vague effect, it is definitely worth a look. Same light, fluid consistency coupled with surprisingly good hydrating abilities. I have to admit that Omorovicza’s version kicks Toleriane to the kerb when it comes to hydration, but then I haven’t yet found anything as light as Elemental Emulsion that does quite the same job when it comes to hydration. It’s in a league of its own. Perhaps Hydraluron, but that’s a serum, and it doesn’t have the same comfortable feel…

very light moisturising fluids

Chantecaille’s Water Flower Fluid also has a gorgeous consistency – again, not quite as supremely hydrating as the Omorovicza, but up there with the best of them. (I tested over a dozen moisture fluids to find the best ones – I’ll write that up soon!) All of those pictured above are suitable for oily/combination skin, but I would say that only the two on the left would be suitable for “normal” and if you had dry or very dry, then maybe only the Omorovicza would be any good. And even then, you’d use it as a kind of “boost” of moisture before your actual cream. In short; moisture fluids tend to be better for skin that isn’t too dry!

Anyway, Toleriane is a mere fraction of the price of Omorovicza’s moisturiser, so I consider it to be quite a find. It really is for oily or combination skins, though – it wouldn’t be anywhere near rich enough for dry. Even on my normal days, I find it to be the wrong choice. It’s not that it’s particularly mattifying, it’s just that it disappears straight into the skin and doesn’t have any of the kind of residue or slip that gives you that plumpy-comfort feel. But for oily or combination skins: bingo. It’s as simple as they come, this moisturiser – it gives you just enough hydration if you need some to layer over spot formulas or to pop on beneath your makeup.

The ingredients list is pretty short and unfussy (see below) and the fluid is dispensed from a pump-action bottle, nice and convenient. It’s a good choice for people who panic about how to moisturise their oily and spot-prone skin and also cheap enough for teens looking for effective skincare. And as I mentioned; if you have those “crazy skin” weeks where your face is spot-prone but angry and sore at the same time, it’s a blessing in a bottle.

There’s  a third off this moisturiser at the moment at Escentual.com – it should be £15, it’s now £10. You can find it here.

Ingredients: Water, Squalene, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethylhexylglycerin, Carprylyl Glycol.

Read about other tried and tested products for oily skin here.

You can find some more light moisturisers reviewed here.

© 2018 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Natasha
    June 11, 2014 / 8:55 am

I love the Omorovicza Elemental Emulsion. I have been using it for 6 months and still have just under 1/4 of the bottle left. It is great and for something so light (it feels like water on your skin) it ticks all the boxes in regards to moisturising. It will be absolutely fabulous during the warm weather also being as it’s so light. Yes it’s a bit pricey BUT it lasts absolutely ages how many moisturisers can you say would last around 9 months from one bottle (by the time I finish it) and is fabulous and delivers what it promises? So it works out to be about £10pm (so probably ends up working out cheaper than most cheap-mid range moisturisers that are nowhere near as good) must admit I love Omorovicza’s products (I need to buy some more Queen of hungry mist (in fact time to use my Pengo points so will get my next full size free Lol)I love omorovicza’s BB cream (in light) and a bottle of that even using every day will last at least 9 months as with Omorovicza items you don’t need much. It is one of the best BB creams I’ve used (must admit I love Estee Lauders double wear BB cream is brill also) I could talk about Omorovica till the cows come home I love their products so much Lol x

2. Solveiga
    June 11, 2014 / 9:18 am

I have combination dry skin and I love the Toleriane Fluid! I find that some moisturisers for combination skin sink in and then disappear somewhere, so I need another layer of moisturiser every 30mins. With Toleriane, I put it on in the mornings and my skin feels nice and moisturised throughout the day. I also found it to be amazing under foundations/bb/cc creams. So I would recommend it to people with dryer skin like mine, if it works – they will find the best moisturiser ever, if it doesn’t – it’s only a tenner anyway.

3. June 11, 2014 / 9:58 am

Oh yes I have used this and love it! Its very very light and amply hydrating! Especially love it in the hand bag as the pump bottle is very light and handy!

TheConscienceFund

4. June 11, 2014 / 2:00 pm

Wow, as an oily skin gal myself, I will definitely have to check this out!

Kendal // Life With Kendal

5. June 11, 2014 / 2:20 pm

The ingredients of the Toleriane look really good – short but to the point (squalane!). Going to go to the pharmacy right now to grab it… :-)

6. June 11, 2014 / 5:56 pm

I really like this for a night time moisturiser when my skins having an oily phase. Absorbs really quick and doesn’t seem to aggravate things.

Chloe x

7. June 11, 2014 / 7:27 pm

I love having something basic like that in your kit. I also find that those types of moisturizers are brilliant follow ups when you’ve overdone it with an oil or a sleep pack the night before hand.

8. Joli
    June 11, 2014 / 10:47 pm

Thanks for that helpful review. I just love the ingredient list. The shorter the better, as my sensitive skin hates all redundant things that might be irritating. I will try this one for sure. Love your blog and vlogs!

9. June 12, 2014 / 11:40 am

I’ve been using this moisturiser, too. It’s a little overly mattifying for me (although I have oily skin I like to have a glow and not counteract it with something too matte).

For ingredients that make your skin glow, tips on making your makeup stay all day, and a French summer skincare GIVEAWAY, have a peek at http://www.sophschoices.co.uk

Sophie

10. Pinkcaramelle
    June 12, 2014 / 7:15 pm

I might try this during the summer.
    Have you tried La Roche Posay Hydraphase Intense Legere? It’s for combination/Oily skin and contains hyaluronic acid. I found that it gives you the little something that is missing from Toleriane fluid for a plump yet non greasy skin.

11. Adrienne
    June 14, 2014 / 3:53 pm

I normally use the regular Toleriane moisturiser but tried the Toleriane Fluide version recently as I wanted something a little lighter for summer and was really disappointed by it! I have normal/combination skin and this didn’t hydrate my skin enough so I turned out more oily during the day! Guess I’ll have to stick with the regular version for now…

12. Catharina Cameron
    June 25, 2014 / 9:41 pm

Hey Ruth!

Love your website and your videos!

I was wondering if you have a serum you would recommend for oily and blemish prone skin, that doesn’t ruin my bank account?

Ive been looking for one for a while, to really help me with my blemishes and acne scars, but I haven’t really found anything I would like to try out, so maybe you have a few recommendations?

Ive been looking a little bit at Paula’s Choice and the serums she has, but I dont know if they are any good?

Anyways, if you have the time I would love a hint or two :)

Love,

Catharina

• June 26, 2014 / 8:53 pm

Yes, Paula’s choice ones are great. I have a few. What’s your budget? I might miss your reply to this so hit me up on a newer post! xx

• Catharina Cameron
        June 27, 2014 / 4:59 pm

Hi Ruth,

I would say no higher then 40-50 euros, tops. Im a student, so money isnt all that great, sadly.

13. August 1, 2014 / 3:53 pm

I swear by the regular Toleriane cream – it is just amazing. If you live in the UK you can get it in Boots for a decent price. Here in Japan it retails for three times the Boots price! Really horrifying :(

14. NIN
    December 23, 2017 / 8:06 am

great discovery ruth!!!
    i just got it, thanks to you.
    this cream is a real balsam for sensitive skin.
    just soothing and hydrating with no irritations or breakouts, just as it claims.
    i have combo skin, prone to cosmetic breakouts, often dehydrated in winter and oily/sweaty in summer.
    it had some signg of dehydration, and some flaking on the nose from washing, cold, peeling lotion , etc.
    i just applyied last night and it was immediate comfort. i woke up with a calmed, plumed skin.

i love toleriane cleansing milk and lotion, they act like light moisturisers while cleaninin, on my skin,, but never tried the toleriane fluid.

what do you think about hydraphase range? do you prefer toleriane fluid, over it?

• NIN
      December 25, 2017 / 9:46 pm

ops.
      the comment was for the toleriane overnight. i followed a link and i ended up posting it here! i ‘ll copy there.. erase if you wish
      xoxoxo