New Mum Beauty and One Million Cans of Dry Shampoo!

a model recommends new mum beauty

Good God, I don’t half lose my thread a lot in this new video! Sorry! I had filmed a whole makeup tutorial beforehand but my camera card was corrupt and none of it came out – by the time I filmed this one, I was completely brain-fried and couldn’t remember what I had and hadn’t said already. I need to do a proper series on brilliant beauty products for new mums and knackered people (most of us, then) but I’ll wait until I’m back in my house. I don’t have very much with me now, on my travels.

Screen shot 2015-08-11 at 11.00.57

There have been lots of comments about my hair in this video, for which I am very flattered, especially considering my colour hasn’t been done in ages! At the moment I just let it dry naturally and then, when it’s 90% dry I spritz some spray-in conditioner into the lengths (Unite’s 7 Second one) and twist it loosely in a bun for a few hours. When I let it out it’s usually nice and semi-wavy with a bit of volume. Then after a day or so, when my roots are lank and flat, I spray my Colab Dry Shampoo into the roots and massage it in for a bit of lift and oomph. No need to brush out, as it’s sheer – so no white chalkiness. (Unless you use the Extreme Volume version, which has a little residue.)

one million cans worldwide

FYI: Colab has now sold over one million cans! I’m so proud to be involved with such a brilliant brand and I get a proper little thrill when people Tweet me saying how much they love it. If you’d told me ten years ago that I would have my name on a beauty product I would have been more than a little sceptical; as a model you get used to seeing your face on things, but it’s only if you’re a “brand” in your own right that your name ever appears. So it’s all very satisfying and I would like to say a massive thank you to you all for your amazing support! I look forward to every comment and tweet (even if I don’t always get around to replying at the moment) so keep ’em coming!

I’m planning some dry shampoo hair vids for when I’m back in my own home, but there are already quite a few tutorials over on the Colab Youtube channel so take a look at those if you need some inspiration You can buy Colab at FeelUnique, Superdrug and Beauty Mart online – it’s £3.50 for a large can.

a model recommends

You’ll have already seen a lot of the products in the “New Mum Beauty” video – my favourite Estée Lauder concealer, the Bare Minerals tinted moisturiser… Lancome’s Miracle Cushion and Too Faced’s Beach Bunny Bronzer are featured in my latest post here – they are the perfect summer skin duo – and I’ve banged on about Benefit’s Gimme Brow loads (read the posts here). Nevertheless, do enjoy – it’s rather rambling but if you’ve missed my voice (ha!) whilst I’ve been making the new human you might welcome some rambles…

Products Mentioned:

Wei Eye Treatment Pads:…

Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue (shade 3):…

Lancome Miracle Cushion (2):

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-place Concealer (light medium):…

Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher (shade 2):

Benefit Gimme Brow:…

Brow enhancer comparison post:…

Too Faced Bronzer in Beach Bunny:

Colab Dry Shampoo in Monaco Scent:

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Reveuse:

© 2018 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. August 11, 2015 / 12:14 pm

You look so fresh, gorgeous and youthful! Great video.

2. Amanda
    August 11, 2015 / 12:50 pm

hi Ruth! Which colab dry shampoo would you say has the least fragrance, or just smells clean, rather than perfumed?

• August 11, 2015 / 1:06 pm

They are all quite fragranced, but most people say that London is the “classic”. Monaco is my favourite as it has that fresh kind of orange blossomy/mediterranean smell. I really want to develop one that has no scent or just a “clean” scent – this has reminded me as a few people have said it! x

• amanda
        August 12, 2015 / 12:05 am

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for an unfragranced one… I’m funny about other smells interfering with my perfume!

3. Ana
    August 11, 2015 / 1:09 pm

Dear Ruth,

I believe this is the first time I’ve ever posted a comment online -but if you have courage I must also… I’ve recently found your blog/youtube channel and I fell completely in love with it. You and Caroline Hirons have become my daily “thing”, trying to catch up with older post and reviews and anxiously craving for anything new.
    It’s so refreshing and encouraging to witness your down to earth approach to people – considering your celebrity status! you’re a model for god sake and a gorgeous woman per se – showing yourself to the world, unphotoshoped, un – everything, that people can relate to and trust. I’ve followed some links and took a look at other trendy colleagues of you but they are no fun! :) at all! I absolutely loved the baby brains videos :D
    You are an amazing person for having the courage to do this and must really be proud of yourself and what you’ve accomplished trough it! I’m you newest fan and a supporter!
    If you ever need any product form french pharmaceutical brands they are available here in Portugal.
    Thank you for sharing your imperfections!
    All the best for you and your family, stay well.

4. August 11, 2015 / 2:26 pm

You are so gorgeous in these photos! Can’t tell at all you’re a new mother :) and your hair *swoon* – it just looks so summery and natural. I’m excited to watch this video, and congratulations on all of your Colab success!!

5. Katherine M
    August 11, 2015 / 2:38 pm

Hiya Ruth,

Dry shampoo has always been a pet hate of mine. The smell, the feeling UGHHH !!!! That was until I tried Colab – totally different ! No horrible powdery residue and a REALLY lovely smell. Ive been long the New York and Tokyo scents.

Luckily I don’t really get greasy hair much at all but its fab for a refresh and give my hair a bit of volume and life ! I come round to dry shampoo so much that now I have mini colab in my bag at all times!

Well done you!

Also, Ive been drying to try the Lancome cushion. I imagine it would wear off quite quickly though?

Always an absolute pleasure to visit your site and watch your videos!

P.s. you look too fresh to have a newborn, where are the eye bags?! hehe

6. Lesley
    August 11, 2015 / 3:38 pm

Hi Ruth

Has the daily email subscription stopped – haven’t received anything for several days.

7. marymary
    August 11, 2015 / 4:01 pm

Weird. Are you getting younger?

8. Gemma
    August 11, 2015 / 7:51 pm

Loved your video and congrats on a millions cans! Will colab dry shampoo be available in America?

9. Rhonda
    August 11, 2015 / 10:56 pm

Hi, Ruth! Which TM are you actually wearing in this video?

10. August 12, 2015 / 1:19 am

Lancôme has such great products! This is the first time have heard of colab. Thanks for sharing! Great video!

11. Jodie
    August 12, 2015 / 7:30 am

Hi Ruth,
    A scent-free dry shampoo would be amazing for sensitive allergic types like me. I’ve been quietly wishing that you would release one. Congratulations on your million sales x

12. Michelle Beyleveld
    August 12, 2015 / 2:26 pm

Hi Ruth. When will CoLab be available in South Africa?

13. August 13, 2015 / 12:53 pm

Your hair looks amazing in this video! I really want to try the bare minerals complexion rescue, it sounds like the perfect summer product. And the Estee Lauder concealer is my daily staple product.

14. August 14, 2015 / 10:12 pm

I’ve been loving the BM Complexion Rescue. Unfortunately it will be too dark for winter!

15. August 16, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Huge congrats on the milestone, Ruth! That’s wonderful :) Lovely summery picks here- I really need that Chanel lipstick.

16. August 25, 2015 / 12:28 am

I really want to try the BM Complexion Rescue! I love their other products and tinted moisturizers are a favorite of mine. Fantastic video, too, I really enjoyed it! Your hair is gorgeous, by the way.