Bathtime Cold & Flu Remedies

bathtime remedies

OK, I’ll admit it’s a bit of a stretch calling bath oils and unguents remedies, but I have to say that these will make you feel a hell of a lot better if you’re under the weather. They’re a bit like posh versions of Vick’s Vaporub – except that you bathe in/with them – and the fact that you’re taking this particular dose of medicine with a big old steamy bath of water only serves to help the cause.

I haven’t currently got a cough or a cold, but I do have Mastitis (look it up, it’s gross) which comes with its own particular set of flu-like symptoms. The newly-discovered bath heroes pictured above have lifted my spirits and cleared my head…

Moa Fortifying Green Bath Potion: £27.50 at Cult Beauty. I had instant love for this potent little gem. The bottle looks like something you’d find in a Hogwarts classroom, the potion inside is powerful with fennel and mint and fir. The effects are instant and noticeable: it’s like a total mind-and-body-unblock.

Restorative Winter Clarifying Bath Oil: £30 from Not on the High Street. This actually calls itself a “cold and flu bath oil” so that’s good! And bloody hell is it powerful – you only need a sprinkling to make your entire house – neighbourhood – the world – smell reassuringly of eucalyptus and rosemary and peppermint. This stuff should be available on prescription.

Aromachologie Rebalancing Black Soap: £16 from l’Occitane. Not soap as you know it, but a kind of gelatinous cleansing paste with the most amazing, brain-clearing scent. A good option if you’re bathless; seal yourself into the shower, get the steam going and massage the black soap over your skin. Avoiding the more – er – sensitive bits. Designed to remove impurities and refine the skin, you’ll also find that the eucalyptus oil will do wonders for your bunged-up head.

And breathe.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. October 8, 2015 / 11:13 pm

There is nothing like a good bath to make you feel better! I will make sure I try some of these out next time I feel under the weather!

Lauren x

2. October 8, 2015 / 11:54 pm

Great tips!! Praying for no flu this year;)

3. October 9, 2015 / 10:02 am

Uh, mastitis isn’t fun. I hope you feel better soon.

4. October 9, 2015 / 11:05 am

Moa fortigying green bath potion sounds so amazing!! I really love the packaging and the sound of it!! :))

5. Kiki
    October 9, 2015 / 12:02 pm

Oh poor you, mastitis is nasty. Be sure to check out kellymom for some usual advice, if you havent already!

6. October 9, 2015 / 1:03 pm

Having a bath when you’re down with a cold is a life saver. I love using the Aromatherapy Associates bath oil called Support Breathe, which has eucalyptus in it.

Inma x

7. October 9, 2015 / 2:17 pm

Get well soon! These all sound amaze. Nothing beats the scent of eucalyptus. A cheaper version of these is the Vicks Bath Remedy which is a eucalptus/mint bubble bath! You can pick it up in most pharmacies.

8. ei
    October 9, 2015 / 2:39 pm

Wibergs Pine Bath essence is brilliant for this. It looks like a bath thingy from 1970 as it’s lurid flourescent green in quite old fashioned retro packaging. The scent is so strong though it’s like having a bath in Pine Toilet duck which I am a bit partial to!! Brilliant if you’ve got a cold or feel a bit “meh”. I think I paid around £7 or £8 and I picked it up in an old fashioned chemist somewhere but it would last ages. Makes your bathroom smell really fresh and clean for hours!

9. Jessica
    October 9, 2015 / 5:45 pm

So sorry you’re feeling so terrible. These sound like great remedies! Now I can’t get off of the Not on the High Street website. Have you seen all of the Baby’s First Christmas things? So cute!! Loved your last vlog :)

10. October 9, 2015 / 8:38 pm

Dr.Haushka used to make a Spruce Bath oil that I loved when I was sick. I don’t think they offer it in the USA anymore but they may still have it in the UK.

11. SophBolts
    October 9, 2015 / 10:28 pm

Olbas Oil also make bath stuff – It’s so good. I bought a bottle thinking it would last all winter and got through half the bottle in less than a month – got through a recent 3 week cold which was so grim. Hope you feel better soon, I also had mastitis a couple of months ago and felt awful. Bed is the only thing. x

12. October 10, 2015 / 1:05 pm

How I miss having a bathtub…
    Get well soon, Ruth! :)

13. October 12, 2015 / 6:43 pm

Mm i am a tempted to get the green bath potion!! I really need this bath routine at the moment!

Xx
    Cheryl
    Daisy Candle

14. October 14, 2015 / 11:41 pm

Thanks for the post and hope you feel better soon. Always love taking baths when I am suffering from a cold so these product recommendations are very welcome!

Rae