A Blog-Appropriate T-Shirt and a Breastfeeding Question

whistles beaute t shirt

I thought that this t-shirt was rather appropriate, considering my passion for all things beauty. I’m not quite sure whether the huge letters on the chest distract attention away from my rather matronly bosom or make a feature of it: either way, I like this t-shirt and (as is my way) will probably wear it non-stop for the rest of the week.

whistles beaute t shirt

Someone asked me in the comments on the Chunky Jumper Post whether it would be possible to breastfeed wearing one; I know this is probably more a discussion for The Uphill but I’ll briefly touch on it here, too, because it’s actually really bloody hard to find things to easily breastfeed in until you’ve got into the swing of things. Dresses (unless they’re shirt dresses) are totally out (unless you enjoy sitting in your pants with a load of fabric bunched up by your ears), but when it comes to tops it’s amazing how adaptable things can be. Shirts can be unbuttoned slightly and are therefore relatively easy-access anyway; loose vest-tops can be pulled downwards if you find the right cut, and when it comes to t-shirts (like the above) or sweaters (like the ones here), if you’ve got something good on beneath them, you just hike ’em up from the hem and away you go. Underneath you’ll want something that’ll cover your tum but allow you to make the chest accessible. H&M do good-ish vest-tops, but then there’s this genius little thing called the Breast Vest that keeps your bra region fabric-free whilst covering the rest of your middle. You can find them online here.

Beauté T-Shirt, £45 from Whistles

Update: ha! Just seen that I’m doing exactly the same pose in this photo as in my last picture for the jumpers post. So much for variety – I must be a little bit out of practice…

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. November 9, 2015 / 10:09 pm

There’s a fab Facebook group called Can I Breastfeed In it – thousands of women sharing their breastfeeding-friendly high street finds!

2. November 9, 2015 / 10:49 pm

great shirt!!! I had so much trouble when I was breast feeding when it came to shirts. I am not the most coordinated person. lol.

• November 10, 2015 / 5:40 pm

I do end up rather damp a lot of the time. x

3. November 9, 2015 / 11:00 pm

You look beautiful! I love that shirt!

4. November 10, 2015 / 9:40 am

I struggled with finding cute tops to breastfeed in. Let´s see if it works better this time around.

• November 10, 2015 / 5:39 pm

I must do some more research and a post! x

5. Ali Harriman
    November 10, 2015 / 10:08 am

You modern girls are lucky. All we had were those ugly bras with the cup that opened up like a hatch on a submarine that you paired with a man’s button up shirt. Mind you we weren’t expected to look glam as well, so perhaps you aren’t so fortunate…lol! Ruth, you look like a college student rather than a thirty-something new mom. Sweet t shirt too by the way, but £45?

Ali

• November 10, 2015 / 5:39 pm

Yeah, Whistles prices! Haven’t got emojis on my laptop but you can imagine what I’d put.. To be honest the bras are mostly still pretty ugly in comparison to standard bras in the same ranges. It’s like they think that they have to make them as hideous as possible! x

6. Alice
    November 10, 2015 / 3:48 pm

Ruth, have you tried a brand called Boob, tops with a double layer of fabric over the chest area that gives easy access while maintaining your dignity.

• Alice
        November 10, 2015 / 8:18 pm

Actually called Boob design, as seen on Anna Saccone Joly.

7. Scelestustempestas
    November 11, 2015 / 1:45 pm

Ruth! You look GORGEOUS! You and your boobs are lovely :)
    Please don’t do away with boobs too. Between stick thin legs, and the depiction of shrinking tums and bums all around us, us girls have nothing left!
    LET US KEEP OUR BOOBS!

(Bet the first sentence had you worried for a moment ;) )

8. Delphine
    November 16, 2015 / 3:01 pm

Hi Ruth! i actually did not buy any breastfeeding-specific attire, not even bras: I wear soft, non-underwired ones, which I just pull down (but that probably only works for modest type breasts that do not need real support) to snap the boob out.
    Clothes-wise, I’ve been doing the whole shirt / shirtdress thing, but got bored of always wearing the same thing after a while, especially as it is getting slightly chillier, so recently started wearing any jumper, light or chunky, with ether a loose t-shirt or a tight vest underneath, so that bra+boob are readily available. It feels so good to be able to wear my old pre-pregnancy clothes!
    BTW, thanks so much for this whole baby-pregnancy spinoff: I was pregnant just 8 weeks ‘behind’ you, and have been really enjoying your tone and approach! x

9. Lois
    November 17, 2015 / 8:41 pm

I really struggled with what to wear whilst breast feeding with my first but second time round I discovered dresslikeamum on Instagram check her out for great tips