France: What I Wore, What I Packed

ruth crilly chanel no5

Bonus post! Here’s what I packed in my new suitcase for my trip to France. (The first one. For the second I might well be taking my little carry-on case, so that wouldn’t be an interesting video. It’s only large enough to hold one pair of shoes, one book and one frugal, fair-weather sort of outfit.)

I completely forgot to say about my leather jacket that I took with me (it’s this one from Whistles), which is annoying because a classic leather jacket is actually quite an integral part of my travelling wardrobe. Firstly because they go with absolutely everything (they can be chucked on with jeans and dresses and even – if you’re that brave person who likes to risk channeling the “off duty celeb” look, a look that can so easily go tragically wrong –  tracksuits) and secondly because they are virtually indestructible. They don’t crease, they’re virtually wipe-clean and you can roll them up to make a wall-pillow if you’ve managed to baggsy a window seat on the plane.

Here it is then, a “what’s in my suitcase” video with a little bit of vlog footage thrown in for good measure so that you can see what I got up to. Lily Pebbles has made an absolutely brilliant film of our trip so I’ll update this post with a link when she puts it up: for now, let’s take a look at my belongings. I left out my pants, socks and both my toiletries and makeup bags, mainly because talking through the bags would take too long and nobody needs to see my M&S black cotton full briefs. Oh, and my breast pump! I completely forgot to mention that, though maybe it’s a good thing…me sat like a cow in a milking parlour is not particularly a mental image that I want you all to have.

Photo credit: Lily Pebbles

Suitcase, Antler Juno from Amazon: http://amzn.to/1Opc6d3
Dress, Diane von Furstenberg, last year The Outnet
Striped midi-dress, Karen Millen: http://bit.ly/1UVvqFy
Trench Floret Heels, LK Bennett: http://tidd.ly/e7f95e96
Lola black dress, Whistles: http://bit.ly/1s0sHis
Stan Smiths, ASOS: http://bit.ly/1s0sTOx
Paige Maternity Jeans: Very Exclusive, last year
Whistles Comme Ci Comme Ca Tee: http://bit.ly/1UVvy7V
Sunglasses, Jimmy Choo, two years ago
Hat: Maison Michel
Wacoal Bra: http://bit.ly/1s0uPqv (I wear a size 36)
Heidi Klum “Zoe” Nursing Bra: http://tidd.ly/ec867141
M&S Nursing Bra: http://tidd.ly/81147b34
Chanel “WoC” in Lambskin

*Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers are affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. May 12, 2016 / 9:58 pm

Loved this video!!! You look gorgeous in these champs de roses! And obviously can’t wait for the new perfume to launch as the “Eau première n°5” is my all time favourite fragrance from Chanel!

• May 12, 2016 / 11:08 pm

Well it’s sort of similar, so I think you’ll like it a lot! x

2. May 13, 2016 / 1:37 am

Lovely video! Can’t wait for their new n°5 ♥

3. Lindsey
    May 13, 2016 / 5:33 am

Oh, Ruth, I have so been there, traveling with the breast pump. Interrupting the trip to get down to business and pump. Lowered supply upon return home to babe. Happy, wonderful reunion! So, so worth it.

4. May 13, 2016 / 9:37 am

I remember traveling with a breast pump once, but I could bring the big, electric one, as we were going by car. I tried the manual ones a few times, but my hands were exhausted before I even got half of the milk out.

5. Ruth Hilbert
    May 13, 2016 / 2:57 pm

Lovely maquillage Would you do a video of this look please Ruth? Great video you go to some wonderful places,
    Very kind of you to share with us x

6. kristine
    May 13, 2016 / 3:45 pm

I wonder if you ever considered doing bag video? I would truly enjoy watching something like that since its quite annoying to find nice style and quality hand bags which isn’t either “I can’t fit even my pen in that” nor suitcase disguised as tote bag.

7. Lara
    May 13, 2016 / 4:39 pm

Loved this post esp as also nursing. Also which bag was the other one you used at Grasse? I am sick of nappy bags and looking for a nice tote or similar. Thanks Ruth

8. Julie Fernandez
    May 13, 2016 / 7:19 pm

Hi Ruth

How lovely it was for me to bump into you on your way to France !

Hope you didn’t think I wasn’t a weirdo, saying I recognised your voice while seeing you from the back. I certainly felt like one but I couldn’t help myself.
    Had to say hello !

You’re as sweet and beautiful in person as you are in the videos.

All the best to you and keep doing what you’re doing, you’re amazing !

Frenchie

• Julie Fernandez
      May 13, 2016 / 7:21 pm

Obviously meant to write “hope you didn’t think I was a weirdo”.

Seems like my phone thinks I am…lol

• May 14, 2016 / 8:09 pm

Hahaha!!! Not at all, it was lovely. x

• Julie Fernandez
        May 19, 2016 / 8:27 pm

Lovely girl ! x

9. May 13, 2016 / 8:25 pm

That trip looks like a dream come true! I can’t wait to smell the L’eau. I hope it will have less aldehydes and a fresher vibe. Maybe a squeeze of citrus. That would be straight up intoxicating.

10. Anja
    May 13, 2016 / 9:36 pm

Lovely video and you looked amazing! Wonderful lowy skin. And the trip seems so interesting!

11. Virginia Villalobos
    May 14, 2016 / 2:03 pm

Lovely video, Ruth! I think I’d like to be a blogger in my next life….and I am so coveting that black motorcycle jacket! Hope to see a video of you walking the red carpet in Cannes. “Happy as Larry”? That’s an expression I hadn’t heard, must be English, and so funny!

12. Ilse
    May 16, 2016 / 3:24 am

Lovely video! I didn’t know throwing shoes in the wash was a thing…I thought water would destroy the material and the glue. How do you do it? Put it in an old pillowcase? Really curious and I want to try it on my new balance. Cheers