Get Ready With Me: Jimmy Choo Dinner

makeup tutorial

I had a (mostly) baby-free afternoon last week and so I thought I’d film myself getting ready for a Jimmy Choo 20th Anniversary dinner that I was attending. This sort of video is widely known as – rather unimaginatively, but we’ll let that pass – a Get Ready With Me video, or a GRWM. I’m not sure about these makeup-set-to-music sort of videos; they’re definitely more interesting to edit, but it makes me feel a bit self conscious, as though I’m trying to be a wannabe in a pop promo. Also, it’s weird doing makeup without speaking. I always feel as though I want to jump in and do a voiceover so that I can explain what I’m up to. For example,

“You might think it’s odd that I’m using a large blusher brush for my setting powder, but it was the only one I had to hand and I couldn’t be arsed to get up and find another.”

or

“The eyeliner is a little wonky, but nobody’s perfect!”

That sort of thing.

I like to be able to give a running commentary on the reasoning behind my ridiculously inept makeup processes, otherwise they sometimes just look a bit…inept. What do you think? Do you like makeup tutorials or do you prefer music in videos? I sort of think that music makes the dull parts a bit more interesting, rather than having that awkward silence as you spend three minutes blending your foundation in, but my God is it hard not talking. I mean really hard. I have to make a conscious effort not to open my mouth.

Maybe that means that I should only do talking videos. Or perhaps I should have some background music for the bits when I’m quiet (which is probably only about 0.4% of any given video) but talk my way through the rest. I’m rambling, but let me know your thoughts. You are, as ever, my trusted advisors.

I’m reviewing or re-videoing quite a few of the makeup items shown in the video, so please don’t despair if you want to know more about them. The Chanel palette, the Becca foundation, the Benefit brow stuff, they’re all definitely getting their own little blog posts tout suite. All products are listed beneath the video pane, too, for easy reference…

Becca Aqua Luminous Perfecting Foundation in Fair: http://goo.gl/QOA2tF

Louise Young LY34 Foundation Brush: http://tidd.ly/5ff5de4a

Givenchy Le Prisme Mat Face Powder in Peach Plumetis: http://tidd.ly/7c42aab6 (I used this to set, with a really inappropriate brush, as it’s matte and also has a nice healthy tint to it!)

Urban Decay Beached Bronzer in Sunkissed: http://tidd.ly/1d027545

Kat Von D Contour Brush: http://bit.ly/1tkym3t

Charlotte Tilbury Dreamy Glow Highlighter Illuminating Youth Powder: http://goo.gl/K2L1gU

Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer in Shade 2, Light-Medium: http://tidd.ly/3b9c255f

Chanel Eye Quad in “Empreinte Du Desert”: http://tidd.ly/de6eb4ec

Bobbi Brown Smokey Eyeliner Brush: http://bit.ly/1VTlXik

Marc Jacobs Highliner in Rococoa: http://goo.gl/tTPfp8

YSL Vinyl Couture Mascara in Black: http://www.amodelrecommends.com/2016/…

Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Almost Pink: http://www.amodelrecommends.com/2016/…

2016 A Model Recommends: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers will usually be affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Desiree
    June 13, 2016 / 9:18 am

I love the “rambling” commentary, it makes me laugh :-)
    Also, I think it’s really important for younger viewers to see that you can be attractive and interested in make up, but also interesting and down to earth. Xx

2. Aoife
    June 13, 2016 / 9:27 am

Loved the video and you looked gorgeous. Such beautiful makeup and outfit especially that clutch. Wow! You’re probably one of few where I’d prefer a GRWM with commentary. I do enjoy your ramblings :)

3. Janice
    June 13, 2016 / 10:28 am

Lovely video, but love you talking more x

4. Henriette
    June 13, 2016 / 11:21 am

I really like it when you talk in your videos, you are so ‘down to earth’ and because of the no nonsense comments if’s so nice to watch!!
    So for me, please do talk, love it!

5. June 13, 2016 / 3:03 pm

Love it! I think this kind of look is so perfect for everyday wear which i find light and so natural.

6. Bea Fabry
    June 13, 2016 / 3:48 pm

Hello Ruth, I like your talking video’ s a lot, you are so funny! But the music ones are also very interesting as are all your posts. There is always a nice content and you bring it in such a relaxing, down to earth way. I know you put a lot of effort in it, but for us, the reader en the vieuwer, it s very relaxing. I always look forward to it! A big virtual hug and greats to you, baby and Mr AMR and the lovely animals!

7. Evie
    June 13, 2016 / 4:01 pm

Sorry Ruth, but I much prefer you talking in videos!

8. June 13, 2016 / 4:35 pm

I miss the ramblings… lovely video though x

9. Anne
    June 13, 2016 / 5:31 pm

Personally prefer the talking videos both because it’s more entertaining, and because I can’t stand You Tube music.

10. Lisa
    June 13, 2016 / 5:49 pm

Loved the video Ruth but would like to hear you speak/commentary.

11. Lindsey A.
    June 13, 2016 / 7:06 pm

I love this video, and part of it is I can imagine your ramblings in my mind…. such as your comment at the end about where does one stop with the bronzer? Perhaps you could do a music version and a separate version with a voiceover…. probably too much work, though. I would like to see a music video occasionally, but for me they wouldn’t work unless I knew your voice from all your talking vids. Also – I thought you looked amazing after the skin steps, before the Chanel eyes. You could go anywhere looking just like that!

12. Anja
    June 13, 2016 / 7:41 pm

Lovely video and you look great as usual. I have to admit though, I really like your ramblings! You are a rally great person and I bet fun to be around, at least that’s what you seem like in your videos. So let your personality shine!

13. Jas
    June 13, 2016 / 7:44 pm

Haven’t watched it yet but so love your rambling chatty videos – please don’t stop those!

14. June 13, 2016 / 8:18 pm

Your video was great, but I do prefer talking. I always get a kick out of listening to you… it reminds me of myself! Lol!

15. Gaia
    June 13, 2016 / 8:59 pm

I like the video, but I love to hear you rambling! I remember Caroline Hirons had a video where she said that to gain an audience you have to be charismatic and entertaining to watch, and you both truly are! Even my boyfriend loves it when I watch your videos, because you have such a lovely voice! Haha, that sounds weird, doesn’t it?

Anyway, thank you for continuing to make wonderful material! And your daughter is just the sweetest little girl!

16. June 13, 2016 / 9:41 pm

Absolutely keep talking in videos. Not the same AT ALL without your ramblings. You looked fab Ruth great choice of make up and dress. Bought that cuff you were wearing on your recommendation and lost it! Only went looking for it Sat night when I was going out! Loved it : (

17. June 13, 2016 / 10:01 pm

I love the rambling ones, they are always more fun to watch!

18. Virginia Villalobos
    June 14, 2016 / 1:11 am

I loved this video and your choice of music. However, I also enjoy it when you speak, so maybe a little of both? This is the second GRWM video of yours I have watched, the first being when you were in France recently for Chanel. Both videos were highly enjoyable and well done. Bravo!

19. Liv
    June 14, 2016 / 4:52 am

Love it but definitely prefer you talking. Be honest though – how hard was it to put mascara on without opening your mouth!?! Lol…

20. Kels
    June 14, 2016 / 1:49 pm

Hi Ruth! I think if you love making these videos then crack on because it is lovely, but I personally watch you (creepy) for your sense of humour and ramblings. It’s like having a natter with your friend, I’m just the listener for once lol! Maybe have some music in the background if you fancy it, but just keep doing you :)

21. Lowri
    June 14, 2016 / 10:37 pm

I’d like to put in a request for the ramblings please! They make me laugh.

22. Ellie
    June 14, 2016 / 10:42 pm

Enjoyed the video, but did miss the chit chat – could see you were dying to chip in!
    The makeup looked gorgeous. And that bag…whoa….and I’ve just seen it’s on sale….
    X

23. Angela Guest
    June 15, 2016 / 8:37 pm

Really enjoyed the video & loved the music choice!! Must admit I do enjoy your chatty videos X