Chanel Nail Gloss: Get On My Hands

chanel le rouge collection no1

After many, many years of producing the most brilliant nail polish shades but in a sub-par, easy-chip formula, Chanel have completely revamped their nail offering and it’s good. It’s really good. The new longwear polishes are just that – longwear, with the nude shade lasting a full week on my tin-opening, dried-weetabix-scraping, car-tinkering hands.

I’m going to come back to the longwear polishes in another post (this website might be a bit Chanel-heavy for a week or so, I’ve done a bit of a blitz through their new collection) but I couldn’t hesitate when it came to today’s subject: Le Vernis Nail Gloss. It’s very rare that I try a product and then run straight to my laptop to write about it – especially a nail varnish – but that is precisely what’s happened today. The Nail Gloss from Chanel is so good that if you have even a modicum of interest in your hands, you need to paint this on them.

In the bottle the gloss looks faintly disappointing – a transparent varnish with a reddish tint. The sort of thing you’d expect would stain your nails a wishy-washy pink, as though you’d coloured them in with a felt-tip pen. Or the kind of expensive extra step that might add a reddish sheen over your base colour, a luxury top-coat for those with money to burn. No, friends, no: wishy-washy this is not. Surprisingly, it’s full of pigment and one coat leaves your nails the sort of bright, punchy, fiery red that is almost a rule when it comes to summer beauty.

chanel nail gloss review

But there is a hint of sheerness there, a bit of transparency – it’s like painting your nails with a very rich and glossy form of strawberry jelly. It has the visual bounciness of a gel, with a hi-shine finish that looks chic and pulled-together, but the punchy colour of a traditionally opaque polish. I can’t get enough of it.

I’m hoping that the lasting-power is good – it doesn’t mention “longwear” on the box, so I’m not going to have the highest expectations in terms of longevity, but then I’d happily repaint with this every other day. Application was a breeze. And I keep staring at my fingers and thinking about holidays, which is never a bad thing.

Chanel Le Vernis Nail Gloss in Rouge Radical is £18 from Selfridges here. It’s part of the new Le Rouge Collection No1 (more on that later) and so I’m guessing it’s limited edition, but PLEASE Chanel, more colours in this gloss formula!

*Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers are affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Angela
    August 10, 2016 / 3:13 pm

Wow, how is that even possible?? The nail polish is so translucent in the bottle but looks so gorgeous and pigmented on your nails!

2. Melissa
    August 10, 2016 / 3:15 pm

Off topic, but Ruth, I would love to know what you think of Olaplex. It’s becoming increasingly popular in the States. It supposedly rebuilds the hair’s disulfide bonds, which break down during bleach application. The colorist adds it to the bleach and does a rinse after bleaching.
    Do you use it or have any opinions about it? I think it has definitely helped with healing and preventing damage for me, though it can be somewhat drying. The directions (for the take home mask) state to use a clarifying shampoo before applying, which is also drying. I really don’t heat style my highlighted hair very much so I’m not sure that I need to use it very often.
    Would love to know your opinion!

• August 10, 2016 / 3:34 pm

Yes, it worked really well for me in the salon, though I think often people think it will feel silky and conditioning when in fact I don’t really FEEL any difference, it’s more that the damage is reduced. It’s a misunderstood system, by the looks of it – I still need to use the home part of it but I’ll bear in mind that you find it drying and see what I think! xx

• Melissa
        August 12, 2016 / 9:24 pm

Definitely use a hydrating mask after. Would love to know what you think about clarifying shampoo, since they seem to strip my hair. And do you ever use violet/purple shampoo to eliminate brassy tones in your hair?

3. August 10, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Wow, I was expecting the nail polish to be clear as I clicked on the post. Thanks for sharing! It looks like a great color, definitely going to give it a try!

xx,
    Fiorela

4. August 10, 2016 / 9:38 pm

That is an impressive transformation, it really looks like nothing in the bottle.

5. Alison Cameron
    August 10, 2016 / 9:50 pm

Are these like the YSL tinted gloss varnishes? I git one two years ago and loved it – not sure if they are still available?

6. Aline
    August 10, 2016 / 10:34 pm

Hello Ruth! After decades of nail biting, I have managed to stop the dirty habit and am now nailpolish obsessed! can you come back in a few days to let us know how long wearing this nail polish is? Am loving but it it is not cheap!!

7. August 11, 2016 / 1:40 am

Ah, I need it! Such a surprising color :)

8. Lisa
    August 11, 2016 / 10:32 am

Hi Ruth!
    Ahh this looks amazing!! I really hope they bring it out in more shades!!!

9. Cassandra
    August 11, 2016 / 10:54 am

Oh, I would love to think that this is the answer to my nail polish prayers. I recently bought polish and Le gel coat and it doesn’t last as long as Rimmel 60 second super shine, I am gutted! But that colour is SOOO tempting (I comfort myself that it won’t be available in Australia for 6 months).

• August 11, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Yeah the Rimmel one is great isn’t it? Next on my list to feature. Doesn’t look as sexy in a photo though, does it?! #fickle

10. August 11, 2016 / 4:41 pm

Looks incredible! I’m surprised the color is so intensive!

11. Tatiana
    August 11, 2016 / 5:49 pm

I initially dismissed this color, since I’m trying to reduce my collection. It’s had such amazing reviews for it’s WOW! factor that I may have to reconsider. More Chanel posts please.

12. August 11, 2016 / 5:52 pm

I have seen this nail polish on multiple blogs and am consistently surprised by the opaqueness of the finish compared to in the bottle, incredible! x

13. Charis Sharp
    August 12, 2016 / 8:17 am

I haven’t found a better nail Polish than the Rimmel Super Gel Nail Polish. I’ve had it on my toes for 2 weeks now and still no chipping. It’s fantastic (and certainly much cheaper than Chanel!). That said, I’d like to give the Chanel Longwear a try after your review! :)

14. EJS
    August 14, 2016 / 9:27 am

Is it a single coat job? Looks gorgeous. Also looks like there’s a blue gloss on the Chanel site. Fingerlush.

15. Madeline S
    August 15, 2016 / 12:37 am

Chanel nail polish is notorious for being rubbish! I’d love to see for myself thr difference.

16. September 8, 2016 / 2:03 pm

Thanks SO much for suggesting this Ruth, I have just ordered it from the Chanel site and it came with a free sample of their DEE-VINE new version of No. 5 perfume. I am in heaven!