An Early Morning Makeup Transformation…

early morning makeup transformation

I was in Paris with the beautiful skincare brand Darphin the other week and decided that instead of having a blissful, baby-free lie-in at the hotel (Le Meurice), I’d set my alarm for 6am and get some filming done. What a berk. As it turned out, it didn’t get light enough outside for me to film in my room until about 7.30am so I sort of pottered about reading the copy of Grazia I nicked from the Eurostar lounge and cursing myself for being such a work-obsessed twit.

By the time the light was okay near the window I only had around half an hour to do my filming and so the any makeup I did needed to be quick and easy. It had been a sticky 31 degrees outside in Paris the day before and so it also had to be makeup that would hold in place and not slide about. I went for my trusted favourite, foundation-wise – the Perfection Lumiere Velvet from Chanel – and kept everything pretty simple. A bit of bronzer, something shady on the eyes and a posh nude lipstick.

You can see the full process, including room service interruption (for your information, I had a fresh fruit platter, a yoghurt, a pastries basket, an orange juice and poached eggs on toast with a side of bacon – the baby-to-be made me do it) in the video below or by clicking here. I’ve listed the products used at the bottom of the page – I must do a standalone review for the new Bourjois concealer because it really is tip-top.

Enjoy…

Products Used:

Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet Foundation in Shade 20: http://tidd.ly/7833e124

Bobbi Brown Foundation Brush: http://bit.ly/2cXDt7B

YSL Bronzing Stones, Shade 3: http://bit.ly/2cXDCrR

Zoeva Brush: http://bit.ly/2cXF4do

Bourjois Blur the Lines Concealer in Shade 2: is out at Superdrug now! http://tidd.ly/fe6df86a

L’Oreal False Lash Mascara: http://amzn.to/2dhFTgB

Anastasia Brow Gel: http://bit.ly/2djRmYS

Victoria Beckham Lipstick in Brazilian Nude

Victoria Beckham Eye Metal Shadow in Bitter Clove: http://bit.ly/2djOueD

Victoria Beckham Kajal (nude end!): http://bit.ly/2djPi3b

2016 A Model Recommends: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers will usually be affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Lisa Hide
    September 25, 2016 / 7:52 pm

A lovely polished look Ruth; I love it! What skincare did you prep with? I love the finish of the foundation but would worry about it for my slightly dehydrated skin. Many thanks Lisa x

• September 25, 2016 / 9:29 pm

The really rich Darphin cream – 8 flower – on top of a darphin serum and oil! I was in Paris with Darphin so was testing loads of stuff! : )

• Lucky
        September 26, 2016 / 8:36 pm

Hello Ruth. Is their any other skincare you can suggest apply before foundation. Hard to find that brand here in Canada Montreal. I don’t like ordering online.. plus gets expensive with shipping. Especially if If I don’t get a sample to try it first.

2. Diana Ng
    September 26, 2016 / 4:43 am

This is such a frsh look, really lovely. I was wondering which brush you used for your bronzer, and if you have any recommendations for bronzer brushes in general?

3. September 26, 2016 / 7:41 am

Waking up in Paris is one thing. Waking up to that view and the Eiffel Tower is whole different thing. I’m jealous. :) Tallking about the makeup transformation, the end result looks very natural and that’s perfect for early mornings. That concealer blends like magic and the Victoria Beckham products are on my wish list.
    Loved the video, watched it twice. :)

4. Catherine Colgan
    September 26, 2016 / 8:07 am

Love this! You always look stunning! Hope you have a great week! :) xx

5. Sarah
    September 26, 2016 / 11:49 am

Who knew a GOt dogs comment could be so charmingly delivered. Like what you did with the VB kajal.

6. Angela
    September 26, 2016 / 3:15 pm

The Chanel foundation is my favourite! However, I tend to apply it with fingers for some reason, I think because it’s so light I feel I may waste product using a brush, I may give it a go though…

7. Tatiana
    September 26, 2016 / 10:24 pm

You have gorgeous skin! Such a beautiful, quick makeup look.

8. Claire L
    September 28, 2016 / 3:22 am

Loved this video! Lovely light look yet polished. Following your VB x Estee Lauder review and video I grabbed the Modern Mercury highlighter before it sold out and it’s gorgeous! I’m fair so it’s perfect for a glowy look. I agree with you, I don’t like my brows to look too done or it’s too ageing. I too was in Paris in April and it was fab. My fiancé and I stayed in a bijou AirBnB apartment which was literally just 2 tiny rooms up 6 floors and we loved it. We did have a view of the Tower but it was just the top third of it. It was my first time there and I definitely want to go back again. BTW congratulations on the baby, meant to comment on the last post! Xx

9. Lady Eve
    September 28, 2016 / 12:09 pm

Hi, Ruth. Back again after another break. I just don’t seem able to keep up with all the blogs as well as I would like.

It’s such a pleasure to find someone (can I say, “of your standing”?) stating that they don’t “do” brows. I have never really got into the whole eyebrow fixation, either. In my case it may be complicated a bit by the fact that due to health issues my brows are really thin. One might imagine that this would make me a prime candidate for brow grooming, but really anything more than a bit of clear gel (I use clear mascara, quick and cheap!) looks “too much” on me, probably because my brows are both thin and fair. Finding a suitable colour match is almost impossible and I just don’t like the effect of a “done” brow on me at all. So although I don’t really “need” someone to approve of my brow … what’s the absolute opposite of a fetish? … it’s good to know I’m not alone.

I’ve obviously missed something, “baby-to-be”. Congratulations and all good wishes. x

10. Cynthia Cook
    October 2, 2016 / 12:31 am

Hi Ruth,
    I am trying to use more ‘clean or green’ products, like gressa foundation, kahina cleanser and oil, and so on…..but the way you put on the concealer it looked so smooth, and worked so well, it was just effortless… I haven’t found a go to under eye concealer in a natural ingredient product…do you have any suggestions or do I just need to buy thus one?!
    Cindy