Ten Under £10: Face Highlighters

best highlighters for under £10

The “Ten Under £10” edition of the Weekly Window Shop was so very popular that I decided to make it a  regular, standalone feature. Because who doesn’t want a round-up of brilliant and affordable stuff?

Ten Under £10 will concentrate mostly on beauty, but if there’s a particularly good glut of other things for under a tenner at any given time then I could be swayed! I do love a good fashion bargain…

I’ll usually have a video to go with any beauty round-ups; it’s handy to see the products “in real life” – especially if they’re makeup items – and even handier to watch them being applied. I’ve kicked off the series with my top 10 face highlighters (or illuminators, strobe creams) for under £10. As always, I welcome any suggestions or additions to the selection and apologise if I’ve missed out anything spectacular – I try dozens and dozens of products when I research these sorts of posts and videos, but it’s impossible to try absolutely everything. Especially brands not easily available in the UK.

budget makeup highlighters

So, my favourite cheekbone, cupid’s bow and bridge-of-the-nose highlighters for under a tenner – a nice selection here, including products that can be used beneath your face base as well as cream sticks than can be very simply drawn on and blended in with fingertips.

The skin highlighters that have made it into my makeup bag over the past few weeks – the ones I have really found to be very useful, effective, wearable and believable – are briefly described below, but you can find longer reviews as well as watch them being applied in the following video. (If you can’t see the video then please click here.)

See anything you fancy? Here are my top (glow) pops – the face highlighters that I’ve been drawn to again and again over the past few weeks:

best highlighters for under £10

Bourjois Sculpt Light (online here) is a really very powerful highlighter that simply needs to be dodded on and blended in wherever you require a little spotlight on the skin. It can also be mixed (in very small amounts!) into foundation or tinted moisturiser to give a lift and overall glow, although….

l'oreal lumi magique review

…the Lumi Magique (here) from L’Oreal is more purpose-built for adding an overall glow. Applied as a primer before foundation it gives a gorgeous radiance that shines through even quite heavy coverage bases.

best highlighters for under £10

Topshop’s Glow in “Polish” (here) is a long-term favourite of mine – it feels very high-end, but costs just a fraction of some of the luxury offerings. I just apply it to tops of cheekbones with my fingertips, but you could use a brush if you have one small enough to fit nicely into the pot!

best highlighters for under £10

Then there’s the Sculpt and Glow from Models Own (here) – again, a very powerful highlighter, very much along the same vein as MAC’s Strobe Cream but much cheaper. Megawatt shine if you want to do that full-on strobing thing!

The complete list of the highlighters shown in the video is as follows:

L’Oreal Lumi Magique Primer*, £9.99: http://amzn.to/2esiF8l

NYX Liquid Illuminator, £9.99: http://amzn.to/2esk0vy

Models Own Sculpt & Glow, Brilliance, £7.50: http://bit.ly/2eahOVj

Bourjois Sculpt Light Strobing Illuminator, currently £7.65 at FeelUnique! http://bit.ly/2dWjBT0

KIKO Radiant Touch, £9.90: http://bit.ly/2eajkGW

Tanya Burr Cheek Illuminator in Forever Summer, £6.99: http://tidd.ly/3ed869f0

Barry M Strobing Cream in Iced Bronze: http://tidd.ly/fdb372c7

Sleek Highlighting Palette in Cleopatra’s Kiss, £9.99: http://tidd.ly/f1a2c24

Topshop Glow in Polish, £9: http://bit.ly/2eafXQu

L’Oreal True Match Powder Glow Illuminator in Golden Glow, £7.99: http://tidd.ly/53abb475

*please note that I have been recently announced as being part of the new L’Oreal Beauty Squad, creating skincare content for the next year. Any work I do in relation to that role will be clearly marked “AD”, otherwise the inclusion of a product – as in this video – is purely editorial, unsponsored and unpaid.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. October 19, 2016 / 12:00 pm

Love the sound of the Topshop highlighter. Sophie x

sophiehmstewart.com

• Eva
      October 20, 2016 / 2:12 pm

Amazing post!!!

2. Carole
    October 19, 2016 / 2:35 pm

Mac strobe cream is only £10 for the travel size which lasts forever xx

• D
      October 19, 2016 / 2:48 pm

I found the strobe cream made my sensitive skin break out, although I know a lot of people swear by it

• October 19, 2016 / 10:20 pm

Oooh, didn’t know they did travel size – interesting re the break out.. x

3. October 19, 2016 / 2:42 pm

Thanks for compiling all of these affordable highlighters in one place! I’ve been dying to get a look at that Sleek Makeup highlighter in action.

Angela / Blush & Pearls

4. D
    October 19, 2016 / 2:46 pm

Hi Ruth, would you mind telling me which eyeshadow you are wearing in this vid, is it the VB one? It’s stunning.

• October 19, 2016 / 10:20 pm

See video on Youtube “smokey eye, following instructions” – it’s the Clarins palette number 3. x

5. October 19, 2016 / 3:08 pm

I love the Barry M One.I have been using this for a while now – Its a lovely everyday highlighter!

lemblog.co.uk

6. Dottie
    October 19, 2016 / 3:24 pm

Ruth what do you think about keratin treatments?

7. October 19, 2016 / 5:08 pm

Great post ! I don’t usually go for affordable highlighters, and don’t ask me why because i don’t really know. They are some good ones out there like the sleek one SO i will for sur try the Model own and Bourjois.
    Thank’s for this post <3

8. Frances
    October 19, 2016 / 9:12 pm

Ruth, I can’t believe you posted this on the exact same day I started looking around for a highlighter. Are you made of magic?
    You’ve done all my hard work for me. Thank you!

9. Ilse
    October 20, 2016 / 4:48 am

I find it so odd that highlighters come in such massive packaging. It’s a product you use so sparingly and in small areas, that I can’t see how anybody can finish the whole thing, let alone if you have a few of them. Same thing in bronzer/highlighter duos- bronzer part should be much larger since you actually sweep it in larger areas. Bit of a rant x

10. Lindsey Amtmann
    October 20, 2016 / 8:12 pm

I love these 10 under 10 videos! I’d like to see one for light moisturizers, heavier moisturizers, serums (would that be possible at under 10?), sunscreen/moisturizers with sunscreen, and BHA 1-2%. And of course mascara…. that is the endless quest, right? And your lipstick is fantastic. Even my 11 yr-old daughter said, “Oooh, Mama, look at Ruth’s lipstick! So pretty!”

11. Alex G
    October 24, 2016 / 8:58 pm

Love this series! Definitely going to check out the TopShop Glow! Not sure if you take recommendations but Muji have just brought back their travel size eye lash curlers, I thought they would be worth sharing as they would make a good stocking filler / under £10 item. Not affiliated with this brand or product just thought of this post when i bought it! http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=17&Sub=124&PID=2400

12. October 25, 2016 / 1:55 pm

Hey Ruth! I’d like to see a ten moisturizers post. I have combination skin so I use two moisturizers and the one I’ve been putting on my cheeks (dry) doesn’t do much :(

13. Kerry
    October 27, 2016 / 7:22 pm

Hi Ruth, love these posts and must try out some of these. My favourite is still becca highlighter but it certainly doesn’t come in the under £10 list! I’d love to see a review of eyeliners, maybe pencil ones when you get a moment! I’m also always searching for the perfect mascara (like most people I think!) and like your poster above but might be tricky under £10. Maybe under £25! ?

14. November 18, 2016 / 8:47 pm

That Topshop highlighter looks dope! Will have to try and find it!

Thanks for sharing x