Sunday Tittle Tattle: Taking Stock

ruth crilly cew achiever

I won an award this week – a CEW (Cosmetic Executive Women) Achiever of the Year award. I was so surprised when they contacted me that I actually had a small cry! I’ve spent the last couple of years with my head down, just ploughing through my work and trying to stay focused, and so it’s incredibly humbling to think that there are people out there who deem me award-worthy… It’s one thing winning a prize or award for your work, but when it’s you personally, it feels very special. I was honestly quite blown away.

I’m the sort of person who only thinks about what still needs to be done and I rarely take stock and look back at what I’ve managed to already do; it’s something I’m really trying to change. Especially because now I’m a Mum, it feels like an achievement if I manage to put my knickers on the right way around and put proper clothes on by lunchtime! Having a baby has meant that on many days, the “off” days, I have to focus on very small achievements – getting some fresh air, cooking a nice meal – rather than ticking off the bigger things I’d have managed to do in the past.

I’m rambling a little, but I suppose what I’m trying to get across is that it’s easy to slip into the habit of always seeing a glass that’s half-empty, in terms of reaching your goals or ticking things from your to-do list. Sometimes, you need to take a step back and write down all of the things that you have managed to do – I find that it helps, too, if you dramatically shorten your to-do list. Ha! If there’s no way you can get five work tasks done in a day, why have them on the list? Make it one and anything else will feel like a bonus.

PS: yes that is a Chanel gift bag I’m holding in the photo, along with my lovely flowers. Gorgeous perfumed things – I was thoroughly spoiled. I’ve got a framed certificate too, I just couldn’t hold all three things at once!

PPS: my lace maternity evening dress was kindly sent by Tiffany Rose – you can see it online here.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Laura Wright
    November 6, 2016 / 8:22 am

Congratulations Ruth – thoroughly deserved and you look amazing xx

2. Catherine
    November 6, 2016 / 8:24 am

Oh bless! You deserve it – many congratulations.

3. Victoria
    November 6, 2016 / 8:42 am

Congratulations Ruth, a well deserved win :)
    The timing of this post popping up in my inbox was spot on. I’m just sat in bed with my partner and a coffee, having an ‘enforced’ Sunday morning relax, whilst squirming because I don’t have my to-do list to hand. I was in the middle of trying to convince myself that Enoigh was achieved yesterday and the slow start this morning was justified, when I read your post. The last paragraph echoed my thoughts so well, ha :) Guess I’ll just sit here a little longer and sip my coffee then…
    P.S. absolutely beautiful dress, you looked stunning, enjoy your goodies.

4. Sabrina
    November 6, 2016 / 8:46 am

Congrats Ruth!!! Thats awesome!! Well deserved……..I really enjoyed reading this post, i always tend to focus on everything i haven’t done or achieved so far and for my age, this can really be a downer…..Enjoy your achievement.

5. Cassandra
    November 6, 2016 / 9:09 am

You so deserve it, Ruth. Congratulations and enjoy!

6. Lyn P
    November 6, 2016 / 9:17 am

Congratulations, Ruth, well deserved xx

7. Jennifer
    November 6, 2016 / 9:33 am

Congratulations, you totally deserve this! X

8. cynthia haighton
    November 6, 2016 / 9:48 am

Congratulations Ruth, so well deserved!. Love reading your articles, watching your vlogs and vids. thank you for all your hard work!

9. Sandie
    November 6, 2016 / 9:55 am

Congratulations Ruth! Fab news and well deserved. And you look radiant in the photo!

10. Virginia Villalobos
    November 6, 2016 / 9:57 am

So happy for you and congratulations! I have no doubt it is well deserved.

11. November 6, 2016 / 10:08 am

Oh wow, congratulations! And can I just say that maternity dress is to die for! I wish maternity wear like that was easier to get your hands on!

Mimi

12. Bagmad
    November 6, 2016 / 10:45 am

Congratulations Ruth, this is so well deserved. I think you juggle everything remarkably well, while still remaining grounded and keeping your sense of humour. Everyone has days when they are just “off” but you never fear to admit it and that it so much more admirable than others who think they have to present a perfect front all the time. You are an inspiration; don’t ever sell yourself short.

13. November 6, 2016 / 10:57 am

Congratulations. So well deserved. Love your half full glass perspective. Relax, reflect and smile. We all need more of that :)
    You look beautiful x

14. November 6, 2016 / 10:58 am

Congratulations! You deserve it!

15. Anne
    November 6, 2016 / 10:58 am

Congratulations and well done. X

16. Martha
    November 6, 2016 / 11:21 am

Congratulations Ruth, you absolutely deserve it!

17. Eleni
    November 6, 2016 / 11:27 am

Félicitations Ruth, so well deserved ! I absolutely love your personality xx

18. November 6, 2016 / 11:46 am

Congratulations Ruth! Hard earned and well deserved!

19. Hannah Chaney
    November 6, 2016 / 11:58 am

Ahhhh Ruth this is soooo well deserved I’ve been following you for years and you are an amazing women! You look beautiful! Congratulations xx Hannah

20. DRTVrMoi
    November 6, 2016 / 12:01 pm

Oh, Ruth, you always make me smile. For that you deserve the best reward of them all!

Congratulations, dahling

21. Siena
    November 6, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Dear Ruth – this is so more than deserved !! You make so many people happy with the way you are – no price in the world could match that !! Go easy on yourself please – you are doing so great! Take care x

22. Minty
    November 6, 2016 / 12:24 pm

You truly deserve that award. Love it when good things happen to good people xx

23. Ann H
    November 6, 2016 / 2:32 pm

Ruth you truly are an inspiration :) Well done you!!

24. Rachel
    November 6, 2016 / 2:46 pm

Congratulations. I love you mens of humour and honesty. Its so vital to ‘keep it real’ and send out that message to other mums that not everything is perfect and somedays just keeping everyone alive is all you can manage but also keep sight of the bigger picture and not get too bogged down. Well done x

25. Kat
    November 6, 2016 / 2:51 pm

Congrats – well deserved! Have you had an award like this before? I’d be surprised if you haven’t!

Also, that was a great comment about writing down all the things you’ve managed to do – life is a bit hard for me right now, and I keep forgetting that, actually, I’ve come quite far and managed so many things I never thought I’d do and I realised I need to keep myself reminded of that!

x

26. November 6, 2016 / 3:25 pm

ah congrats, you definitely deserve it! x

27. Evelyn
    November 6, 2016 / 3:29 pm

Congratulations! You deserve an award every time you put a smile on someones face, inspire a giggle and induce a laugh-out-loud response, all the while imparting helpful wisdom… so I’m not surprised you are presented with accolades and showered with gifts! Well done, but mostly, thank you!

28. sarah
    November 6, 2016 / 3:49 pm

Yay! Huge congrats, I bloody love your blog and it’s so lovely to see your hard work recognised this way.

29. November 6, 2016 / 5:03 pm

Congrats! We love you of course!

30. Gaya
    November 6, 2016 / 7:48 pm

Congratulations Ruth, you deserve it!! X

31. Emily
    November 6, 2016 / 8:46 pm

Congratulations, Ruth!! <3

32. November 6, 2016 / 9:33 pm

Congrats Ruth, well done you!

33. SueM
    November 6, 2016 / 11:05 pm

Congratulations Ruth, that award is richly deserved. You put your passion and humour and spirit into every endeavour so that we all reap the rewards of your efforts. Rest on your laurels for a bit girl. ❤️

34. Vesna
    November 7, 2016 / 12:18 am

Congratulations Ruth! Very happy for you, keep up with successfully managing parenting and work. I’ve enjoyed reading AMR for few years now and witnessed great effort you’ve been putting in the look of the website, more spontaneous writing style and better quality pictures. Adding baby blog, too on top of that. You are a proper example of how one can come to nicely balance all aspects of life. xx

35. DebbieT
    November 7, 2016 / 1:06 am

Congratulations Ruth, very well deserved.

36. Lou
    November 7, 2016 / 10:17 am

Ruth, I have read your blog every day for years and this is the first time I have felt compelled to comment! Congratulations, your award is truly deserved. Your personality, dedication and attention to detail shine through in every post and is really appreciated.

37. Jody B
    November 7, 2016 / 1:42 pm

Congrats!

38. Mary
    November 7, 2016 / 6:22 pm

You are such a beautiful person Ruth. Congratulations for your award!

39. Laurie
    November 7, 2016 / 8:31 pm

Bravo Ruth! Much deserved.

40. A fan
    November 8, 2016 / 2:28 am

Congratulations Ruth!
    You deserved that award for sure. I have a feeling you will be recognized for your writing one day as well.

41. Mum and Gerard
    November 8, 2016 / 7:56 pm

Ruth you look so lovely and the dress is gorgeous!!! Well done with your award and don’t know how you manage to get anything done at all. Hope you are going to have a break next year, you may need it?????