Chanel’s Pink Rubber Nails: Pretty Fetishistic

chanel pink rubber nail polish ruth crilly

I was once fitted for a head-to-toe latex suit in a fetish shop. I was to play a superhero in a TV advert (sadly it never happened because I got the flu, if I remember rightly) and I needed to be rubberised – everything from the neck down – for my superhero costume. It was quite the experience – talcum powder all over to get the blasted thing to go on, and then double-shoulder-dislocation in order to get it off again. I needed two people to help me in and out and – let me tell you – it does not show off your body at its best angles when you’re contorting it to try and release your thighs from their sausage-skin casings.

Anyway, I’ve started off on a tangent as usual. I wanted to go in straight with a rave about Chanel’s new limited edition nail polish, Pink Rubber. My goodness, this is satisfying stuff: the palest pink shade but in a rubberised finish. Whoever came up with this (I have a feeling it was makeup maestro Lucia Pica) is a bloody genius. Ignoring the obvious batman black, Chanel have gone as pretty as can be but given it a sexy edge. If rubber is the sort of thing that turns you on. Otherwise, we’ll just call it a “modern” edge.

chanel pink rubber velvet nail polish review

I often find matte nails to be rather on the dull and dirty side, looking just a little grubby and unpolished (which they quite literally are) but Pink Rubber (shade 542, FYI) looks clean and fresh. Even Mr AMR commented on them, saying that they looked – er – clean and fresh. (I often steal his descriptions for my posts because he doesn’t mince his words and there’s something nice about being straightforward when it comes to beauty.) Don’t ask me about longevity – the box says it’s a “velvet” polish and doesn’t mention the longwear claim – but a day in and they’re doing alright. I get bored after a day or two anyway, unless I’m wearing a nude shade that requires no maintenance, so – in the words of my friend’s teenager – whatevs.

*update: the Selfridges website calls it a longwear polish, so here’s hoping. I’ll report back when it starts to chip!

This is a luxury purchase – £18 – and also a fun one. Funxury. Luxyfun. Whatevs, I love it. Sold out in a few places already, so if you’re a double-C fanatic then swoop down on Selfridges here or Boots.com and get some Pink Rubber in your basket. (Good God, that’s a great phrase for a euphemism if I ever did see one.)

*Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers are affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Vicky
    November 16, 2016 / 10:13 am

I don’t know whether it is the nail polish itself or several days of manicure, I can see on the photo? It does not look neat!

• November 16, 2016 / 5:02 pm

It’s not neat. That’s because I’m shit at applying nail polish. x

• Madalyn King
        November 17, 2016 / 9:14 am

Haha, me too!

• Jibliana
          November 17, 2016 / 7:54 pm

I thought it looked great from a distance, and that’s about as close as I need to be to anyone else’s fingernails! Good job!

That jumper looks like something I need in my life….it doesn’t happen to be the sold out Episode one does it? Thanks!

2. Alistair Hugh
    November 16, 2016 / 10:51 am

The minute I saw latex suit I had flashes of Kathy Burke in Gimme Gimme Gimme! That picture is pure cover girl too. #wcw

3. November 16, 2016 / 12:27 pm

I started off tangent, as usual – One of the many reasons I love your blog.

I’d stick with modern edge and don think I’d go out of my way to get it, but I am curious to see this finish in person.

4. November 16, 2016 / 3:35 pm

Sounds like this polish has a really interesting texture and might be fun for a nice change. Also love a good pale pink that provides even, unstreaky coverage.

Blush & Pearls by Angela

• November 16, 2016 / 5:03 pm

Yeah it’s very opaque after a couple of coats. x

5. November 16, 2016 / 4:32 pm

Oh I love it, the perfect shade of pink (which is really hard to find, well at least for me)! :) I’m normally never one to splurge on nail polish but I might have to make an exception this time.

• November 16, 2016 / 5:03 pm

Or 1800 Boots Advantage Points! : )

6. sevda
    November 16, 2016 / 6:43 pm

Get some Pink Rubber in your basket – hilar!

7. November 16, 2016 / 7:17 pm

Hi Ruth!!!
    It isn’t my go-to shade but the rubber finish is def something to try, I knoooooow!!!
    Thank you for this great review, fun with the model experience memory on the top!
    xoxo

8. November 16, 2016 / 8:14 pm

I might be tempted to chew on it! Cute though.

9. Minty
    November 16, 2016 / 9:11 pm

Is it any longer lasting than the Nails inc latex polish? I found that chipped within hours..

10. November 17, 2016 / 8:16 am

Rubberised nail polish? Oh wow, that would be one to try out, but I just can’t justify the price sticker, especially being Chanel! Oh well. Here’s an odd question but does dust attract to it or is it smooth like ordinary nail polish?

Mimi

11. ero2t
    November 19, 2016 / 9:33 pm

I saw this last night and had to have this luscious pinkness. Something about ballet pink that make me go all gaga and I’m not a typically pink girl, I’m all about blacks and greys. Checked Boots and they still had at Braehead in Glasgow so I braved the Christmas shoppers to procure. Last one! Now painting my nails, both hands and feet. It’s lovely. I love. Thanks for bringing to my attention. I’ve never been feeling decadent enough to splurge on a Chanel nail polish, but agree, this is FUN!

12. AJ
    November 20, 2016 / 6:28 pm

Do you recommend to use it with their gel / long wear top coat?

• November 21, 2016 / 9:58 am

No, I think that would take away from the matte finish! x