Josh Wood’s Haircare for Blondes

shampoo and conditioner for blonde hair

Just a quickie, as they say in the business (I have no idea what business I’m on about but I’ve just had a rare but much-needed can of full fat Coke and the caffeine has gone to my head): Josh Wood’s Precious Blonde shampoo and conditioner. This is the second set of Josh Wood haircare for blondes that I’ve whizzed through – not only does it give a cool tint to my hair, making it look fresher and brighter, it seems to get on well with the texture, leaving it manageable and soft without weighing it down.

There are loads of these lilac-coloured shampoos for blondes on the market and I’ve tested quite a few – I don’t think I’ve ever finished one as quickly as this. Twice. If you have blonde hair, whether an all-over colour or bleached highlights, then I can highly recommend this Josh Wood range for reducing brassiness and getting back that crisp sort of tone that looks “just done”. It’s not a permanent purple dye, or anything like that, it just adds enough of a cool tint to take out excess warmth. Though I wouldn’t sit around with the conditioner soaking in for hours – I did have some forgotten conditioner in my ear for half a day (!) and it took a little scrubbing to remove the blue patch from my skin…

You can find Precious Blonde at Marks and Spencer HERE – it’s £12.50 for the shampoo and the same for the conditioner. (There’s also an “Intense” conditioner with a dial that varies the amount of lilac tint so that you can customise your treatment, but in all honesty I find that one a faff and not much more conditioning than the straightforward conditioner. I’d stick to the cheaper one!)

© 2016 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers will usually be affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. December 14, 2016 / 9:29 am

I am hesitant to use purple shampoo out of fear of getting that granny tint, but if it has your approval… Is is sulphate free?

• Virginia Villalobos
      December 14, 2016 / 3:41 pm

I know what you mean, but I use this and it only gets an overly purplish cast if overused. Personally I use it about once a week, or once every few shampoos, and it works great with no “blue lady” hair!

• December 14, 2016 / 4:00 pm

I’ll look at the ingredients when I get back in my office! I think it *might* not actually be sulphate free completely, I’m sure something jarred a little when I first got it. But scalp does fine with this…

2. Marley
    December 14, 2016 / 3:54 pm

Do you shampoo with a regular shampoo first, or straight in with the purple shampoo alone?

3. Melissa
    December 14, 2016 / 4:03 pm

Purple shampoos tend to dry my hair out, so I have been using (and loving!) something a little bit different: Rita Hazan Breaking Brass Gloss. You shampoo your hair with your regular shampoo before applying the in shower gloss. Leave on for 5 minutes the way you would with a purple shampoo. Rinse, and follow with your conditioner.
    It doesn’t dry my hair out and I find that the pigments adhere better since it’s not being washed out with surfactants found in shampoo. It’s like using a toner without having to measure developer/color (which I would mess up royally if I tried). I don’t have to pay my colorist an arm and a leg just for a refresh and I can apply whenever I need too! Highly recommend!

4. Ellen
    December 16, 2016 / 6:40 am

Do you think this would work for natural blondes or just for highighted ones? I find that my hair goes a bit brassy when it hasn’t seen the sun in a while!

5. Carla
    December 24, 2016 / 6:31 am

Any advice for winter hair that feels poofy and dry?