February Favourites

february favourites video

The February Favourites, as promised; mostly beauty but then a couple of fashion finds that have cheered up my “capsule” wardrobe no end. (When I say capsule wardrobe, I mean it quite literally – I have only one pair of black leggings that don’t hurt my c-section scar, and I wear these on rotation with some jersey cut-off yoga pants. I have three vest tops and two hooded sweatshirts that I can breastfeed in, three soft nursing bras and eight pairs of size 16 M&S high-waisted briefs.)

hush aloha 2017 sweater

I’d like to draw your special attention to the Hush sweater I wear in the favourites video; Hush have some brilliant jumpers this season, but I think that this Aloha one is just so summery and optimistic. And the bright blue makes me – somehow – look quite tanned. You can find it online here, if you fancy a bit of colour injection.

Skincare favourites include the quite wonderful Elastin serum from Bakel and the Miracle Eye Cream from Anne Semonin. I’ve had great results with both – a plumped, less fatigued-looking eye area with the Anne Semonin and an increased feel of elasticity to my skin (forehead especially) from using the Bakel. Both pricey-pricey, but very impressive performance.

(I realised upon finding links for the products in this video that the Anne Semonin eye cream contains retinol, and some say to avoid it whilst breastfeeding. Now look, I did a piece on pregnancy and ingredients to avoid (link here) and I am a bit nervy about some active ingredients during pregnancy, but I think that the amount of Vitamin A you could pass on to your baby via using an eye cream and then breastfeeding would be absolutely minimal to the point of negligible. And I’m pretty sure it’s the developing foetus that you have to watch out for, not a fully developed baby. So I’ll ask around and get back to you on that one, but BOY have I loved using that eye cream!)

Here’s the video – my first after a bit of a maternity break. If you want to read about the behind-the-scenes chaos then read yesterday’s post!

Hush Aloha Sweater:  http://tidd.ly/462c21de

Adidas Primeknit Stan Smith Trainers: http://tidd.ly/11426d8f

Merumaya Exfoliating Toner Sample: http://www.amodelrecommends.com/2017/…

Dior Maybe Nail Polish: http://tidd.ly/9d9ad9a3

Anne Semonin Miracle Eye Contour Cream – just seen that this contains retinol so I’ll probably stop and continue using after I’ve finished breastfeeding! http://tidd.ly/bd30c9a9

Hylamide Glow: http://tidd.ly/a35ffcfc

Bakel Elastin Serum: http://bit.ly/2mQm68D

NYX Lid Lingerie: http://bit.ly/2mQq4y4

Iconic Highlighter: https://www.iconiclondoninc.com/produ…

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. March 6, 2017 / 8:21 am

The M&S pants bit! Yes. Thank you for talking about these things in addition to smashing eye cream. H x

2. March 6, 2017 / 8:33 am

My capsule wardrobe out of necessity somehow still persists even though my son will be one tomorrow. Two pregnancies have changed my body a lot, even though I am the same weight, so I had to rethink my whole wardrobe anyway.

3. Dee B
    March 6, 2017 / 9:02 am

Ruth, you’re amazing! This is great. You’re amazing.

4. March 6, 2017 / 9:25 am

I love the Merumaya exfoliating toner, Have you tried their Retinol Resurfacing Treatment? Its such a great product to use (i guess after you are done breast feeding) There is no peeling what so ever, very cleaver!
    Also, how long are the Hush jumpers? I am 5ft 10″ and really struggle with jumper lengths, A lot of them look like crop tops on me…. Very annoying!

Leanne

5. Sarah
    March 6, 2017 / 11:37 am

I’m so tired of my maternity clothes, but my only other option is wear hubby’s sweatpants and tee shirts. I can’t wait to deliver and for spring to arrive just to be able to wear “normal” clothes again. Elastic waistbands across my belly and the same three neutral sweaters in rotation have started to make me feel claustrophobic! I long for a flowy, brightly colored dress!

6. March 6, 2017 / 12:40 pm

The Miracle Eye Cream sounds like a real miracle, I really have to try that one! The undereye area is something that has been causing me real problems recently; I think I’m struggling with a temperamental concealer, and actually just need to have more of a focus on my skincare. I also have to stop touching my eyes throughout the day as a friend pointed it out to me as a bit of a habit the other day – eek! I am convinced that the retinol won’t be much of a problem but always best to stick to your convictions.

7. March 6, 2017 / 7:57 pm

Thanks for sharing these product!

8. Melissa
    March 6, 2017 / 10:07 pm

Love the hush sweater!
    If you like Hylamide Glow, then Paula’s Choice makes a gradual tan concentrate that works even better, in my humble opinion. You add 1-3 drops to your moisturizer depending on the degree of “tan” that you want. It takes a few days to build-up to a gorgeous, even, neutral colored glow. It fades evenly and you never get those strange orange or brown flecks that oxidize in your pores. Cheap and great for sensitive skin too!
    I add one pump per body part if I use it below my neck and face, but that’s not exactly economical. I do love St. Tropez Gradual Shower Tan. You apply it after body wash, like you would apply conditioner after shampoo. You leave it on for 3 minutes (I usually hop out, wash my hands, and brush my teeth) before rinsing. It looks really natural and even, plus you rinse off the “biscuit” smell that usually lingers from the DHA.
    I never got on with Bakel serums. They were really sticky and they didn’t contain any ingredients that I could find elsewhere for a much more affordable price.

9. March 7, 2017 / 11:30 am

Hi Ruth,

What a lovely post – we’re thrilled to see you’re a fan of the Anne Semonin range!

Yes, the Anne Semonin Miracle Eye Contour Anti Wrinkle Cream contains sea Sea Retinol but this is perfectly safe for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

The Anne Semonin Team x

10. March 7, 2017 / 5:06 pm

I love the honesty the you have here about the clothes you’re wearing and the retinol that you’re using while having breast feeing your baby.