The Colab Cans Get New Clothes!

colab dry shampoo new packaging

The new-look Colab Dry Shampoo cans have launched! Teeny-tiny mermaids, tropical palm leaves and a smart new design for the Active version too – I absolutely love them. Same brilliant product inside, but the cans have been given “new clothes”.

As many of you know, I have been hugely involved with Colab from the start and I’m so proud of how we’ve developed as a brand – the dry shampoo is now sold all over the world and our special residue-free formula (no annoying white dust in your roots) is becoming something of a cult buy.

Each new Colab dry shampoo has a different fragrance, but don’t worry if you already have a favourite – we’ve kept the original scents and given them a bit of a facelift in the packaging department! Monaco, which was a bestseller (and my personal favourite) , is now called Fresh and has a very cute can with waves and mermaids on it.

colab dry shampoo fresh monaco scent

Exactly the same formula and scent (smells like Tom Ford’s Neroli Portofino, the ultimate sexy summer fragrance) but with lovely new packaging.

Rio (a heady combination of papaya, cassis and pineapple notes) has become Tropical, with its stylish palm leaf-printed can, and the Active version, with Moringa extract to protect the hair from the elements (perfect for gym bunnies and lovers of the great outdoors) has the same name but looks a little sportier.

colab dry shampoo tropical

If you’re at a total loss as to what an earth you’re supposed to do with dry shampoo then let me make it quick and easy for you: spray it liberally into your roots when your hair’s feeling a little oily or lank; massage it in with fingertips and then either brush it out or leave in for a bit of a root boost. I use it constantly, even though I wash my hair every other day, because it gives lift and pizazz to my fine hair and makes it look a bit thicker and “done”. It’s quite literally my daily hair essential.

You can find a full list of worldwide stockists here – the new packaging is slowly replacing the old, so please be patient if you’re still getting the older-style patterned cans. These things take time! (I go around with a giant shopping trolley, replacing them all by hand. In every store. True story.)

In the UK, you can find the new cans at Superdrug* – they’re £3.49 each.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Heidi
    March 9, 2017 / 8:07 am

Beautiful new can designs! Will you still be carrying Paris and Tokyo? Those scents were my favs..

• March 9, 2017 / 10:02 am

Bone of contention: Paris was also one of my faves, and they’ve discontinued it! : ( I did petition (single-handedly, lol) for its right to stay, but I was outnumbered. I’ll see about Tokyo, that one might be making another appearance. x

• Milly
        March 10, 2017 / 11:29 am

In my local Superdrug all the lids are always missing! Just FYI! Looking forward to seeing the new designs x

• Sarah
        March 10, 2017 / 4:22 pm

I found a legitimate vendor on Amazon and ordered Paris. OMFG. I’m going to. Uh as many as I can, because this scent is AHHHHMAZING. Devastated to hear it’s discontinued! And oh, I prefer your dry shampoo over: Klorane, Oribe, R+Co, Oscar Blandi, BloDri, Batiste…. the only one that comes close is MorrocanOil, but really that’s because of fragrance. CoLab still outperforms it.

• Franzi
      March 16, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Yippie…saw Colab in my local drug store in germany :)

2. Rachel
    March 9, 2017 / 8:38 am

Love the new cans. Every time I go to my local Superdrug every can lid is broken. Do they come in travel/ handbag size?

• March 9, 2017 / 10:01 am

Oh no really? I’ll report back, thank you – it’s good to know these things! Travel size are on hold at the moment while the new cans get rolled out – you might still be able to find small sizes in the old design. xx

• Niki
      March 10, 2017 / 7:10 pm

Hi, do you know, that’s the oddest thing though, because every time I go to my main Superdrug in Southampton to stock up, the lids are always missing. There are rows of cans of Colab on the shelves all without their lids. I’ve complained to the staff and they just looked bemused like I’m a crazy lady for complaining – what’s it all about though?! I end up ordering online from ‘feelunique’ etc.

• Niki
          March 11, 2017 / 12:10 pm

Hi Ruth, yes, as recently as when you posted about the launch of ‘Paradise’. However, I noticed it at various points last year too.

3. Jade
    March 9, 2017 / 9:28 am

Is London getting a rebrand too? Thats my favourite scent, would be sad if I could no longer get it!

• March 9, 2017 / 10:03 am

Yep, London is the original and will be staying, it has a new design but I think that’s later this year. FEAR NOT! x

4. March 9, 2017 / 10:54 am

Okay, be right back, I just need to go and keep watch at my nearest stockist. I´d love to meet you there when you exchange the bottles.

5. Tamara
    March 9, 2017 / 11:09 am

Hi Ruth! Huge fan of your dry shampoo, I think my hair is similar to yours so it is also a daily essential for me. One question – please could you let me know if the products are safe to use during pregnancy? There has been lots of press about the ‘dangers’ of hair spray so i wondered if the same applied to dry shampoo?

• March 10, 2017 / 9:29 am

Yes absolutely. I mean, fragrances sort of make me woozy when I’m pregnant so I’d spray in a well-ventilated room etc etc, but I’d do that anyway! xx

6. Pimms
    March 9, 2017 / 1:25 pm

When you say “hugely involved”, Ruth, what do you mean? Are you ‘just’ a face and spokesperson for the company? Did you have the idea for these products?

I’m hoping to start my own business in the next few months and it would be interesting to hear your story.

• March 10, 2017 / 9:28 am

No, I had involvement from the start with everything from the branding, name, product development, design, everything. There was already the beginnings of the amazing formula and when I tested the lab sample I knew that I wanted to be part of the team. Though I don’t have the knowledge to have any say on the actual formula in terms of how it’s manufactured, I test all of the products at the first stages and work with the team on fragrances from scratch. I’m a bit of a control freak and wouldn’t have been happy putting my name to something “blind”. x

7. Siena
    March 9, 2017 / 1:32 pm

Love the new designs and the Paradise scent !! Great that ‘Fresh’ (Monaco’ ) is still available too!! AND they are all vegan – well done, Ruth!!

8. Katelyn
    March 9, 2017 / 2:28 pm

Are the new designs going to be available at AE in the US?

• March 10, 2017 / 9:24 am

Yes, everywhere eventually, and more stores in the US soon.x

9. Tatiana
    March 9, 2017 / 3:32 pm

I’m glad others have already inquired about the status of London, Paris and Tokyo. Picked up small cans of these when the family was in London almost two years ago and I’m down to my last spritz.

• March 10, 2017 / 9:22 am

You can still get pretty much everything in Superdrug, the switchover is quite gradual! x

10. Sarah
    March 9, 2017 / 3:51 pm

I wish it had better distribution here in the states. The stores it’s carried in are “teenage wasteland” shops that send me through the worst angsty teen flashbacks. Any chance it will be picked up by a drugstore or beauty shop?

• March 10, 2017 / 9:22 am

Yep, working on it. It’s VERY difficult in the US, from here, so taking a little time, but soon soon soon! x

11. March 9, 2017 / 5:49 pm

Absolutely love the formula and new wardrobes on the cans. Just snatched up Tropical and Paradise and I am in heaven when I smell them. These are the only dry shampoos that keep my red hair vibrant but also do not burn my sensitive scale. Thank you COLAB!

• March 10, 2017 / 9:21 am

Ah so good to know – and thanks for your wonderful testing review! x

12. Amy
    March 9, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Ooh, what about New York please?

• March 10, 2017 / 9:21 am

Yep, still in its usual incarnation at the moment then will update you when the switch happens! Think it’s re-named a simple “fruity”?! x

13. Jesseca
    March 10, 2017 / 2:45 am

Any chance we can find them in the US? I got some from AE the last time, bit I can’t find it anymore.

• March 10, 2017 / 9:20 am

Yep, American Eagle but rolling out to other stores soon x

14. Liv
    March 10, 2017 / 11:00 am

Well done! Love the new designs. Don’t see it here often in Oz but I do check every chemist just in case…

15. Margaret McElroy
    March 10, 2017 / 12:26 pm

Hi Ruth Just wondering have the sheer and invisible and extreme volumes been amalgamated. There doesn’t appear to be a differentiation on the new cans.

• March 10, 2017 / 8:38 pm

There will be one version of the Extreme Volume – new can design comes later this year I think, but it’s the “London” version that’s staying. x

16. FR
    March 10, 2017 / 2:47 pm

I did try dry shampoo years ago – some texture and lift for my fine curly hair – and white reside aside, it didn’t work. However, long-time reader of your blog I FINALLY tried your version and now have one on me for work and one based at home. Needless to add there is no residue on my pitch black hair! Love it.

17. Heather
    March 11, 2017 / 5:00 pm

I was so excited to go and get a mermaid colab but Superdrug only had the old designs (lots of missing lids too). I adore colab – the only brilliant dry shampoo out there (no residue = no scratchy, dirty hair feel, smells amazing, 100 times better product than the popular brand of dry shampoo that is stocked everywhere). Although I was gutted to see that Paris has been discontinued – I genuinely felt sad over this (pregnancy hormones – I promise I’m not mad). I love my daily AMR/Uphill fix. Keep up the awesome work x

• March 14, 2017 / 3:27 pm

I may petition for Paris to make a comeback! x

• Goska
        May 4, 2017 / 10:40 am

Please do. It was my favorite by far. If I could only use one dry shampoos cent it would be Paris. It is AMZAZING. I would buy a perfume or body spray in this scent if I could.

• Shannon Romero
        May 19, 2017 / 10:54 pm

Oh please petition Ruth!!!! It’s the ONLY one my 15yr old will use. Wait till your daughter is 15, you will understand. If Colab doesn’t get back to the US soon I’m not sure what we will do. She’s sparingly using her last can. Ohhhhhhh teenagers!

18. Chelsea
    March 14, 2017 / 3:20 pm

‪Could you provide examples for how each scent smells? Ex. “Monaco/Fresh similar to TF Portofino”

Can’t try in-store first in US and too poor to buy all five online. Sniffing dry shampoo would give a nice break from poo, no?

Also: you recommended the Pixi sleep mask aeons ago and I, embarrassingly late, just bought it. I would like to apologize for not seeing the light sooner because I love it quite emphatically three days after purchasing it.

• March 14, 2017 / 3:24 pm

OK good idea! Give me a while though, I need to think about it properly! : )
      x

19. Julia
    April 21, 2017 / 9:07 am

Saw your dry shampoo in a drug store here in Germany today! Had no idea it was available here. Excited to try. Very nice packaging, too!

20. Jen
    July 31, 2017 / 4:17 am

Hi Ruth

Love your Extreme version, so much so that I stocked up 16 cans when it was only 50% off at my drugstore – I figured a relaunch was in the works, but that’s how much I love it!