Sunday Tittle Tattle: Things I’ve Been Doing

sunday tittle tattle ruth crilly

I have nothing particularly profound to say this Sunday (do I ever?!) and so I thought I’d give you a little run-down of what I’ve been up to this week. Apart from feeding the baby, which seems to take up approximately 89% of my time, and procrastinating over whether to eat a Mini Magnum or not, which takes up the remaining 11% of my time. (I’ve done pretty well, only two Mini Magnums this week. And I need the extra calories for breastfeeding, obviously.)

What I’ve Been Reading: Captain Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres (here). How had I not read this before? It’s absolutely brilliant! Proper post coming up, but I am just blown away by how much I enjoyed this story – it’s one of the funniest, most romantic, most tragically sad and harrowing novels I’ve ever read. I wept for around an hour at one point (those who have read it will know what I mean when I say: Carlo acting as a human bullet shield) but I also laughed out loud on numerous occasions, much to the annoyance of the feeding baby. Whatever: the night feeding sessions were made infinitely more bearable knowing that I had this book to return to…

What I’ve Been Wearing: The Beauty Balm by Trish McEvoy. A fresh, lightweight BB cream with a nice tint and SPF35, this evens out skintone and feels really hydrating with no greasy or chalky sort of residue. It reminds me a lot of the Clarins Detox one, which is up there with my all-time favourite bases – though, like that one, it comes up rather warm and dark. I’ve been using shade 1, but it’s a tiny smidgen too warm for me – if you’re fair, it’s probably a no-go. It’s also £65 a tube (Selfridges here) but does do a beautiful job of giving you that fresh, healthy “low-key” look if you have some serious beauty cash to spare. Otherwise, look to the Clarins BB for a similar feel..

What I’ve Been Getting Wrong: all of the details in the Alpha-H post that went out on Friday night. The Vitamin Profiling Collection is £49.99 and not £49 and the free Beauty Sleep Peel offer has run out and therefore is not free with spends of over £70. Sorry!  Read the post here for more details.

What I’ve Been Laughing At: oh, laughing so hard. You will probably have seen this by now, but the part where the baby appears in his walker from around the door, it just kills me. It’s a video clip of a BBC news segment and the man being interviewed (about something really very serious) has forgotten to barricade his office door, which we all know is a must if you have kids about and want to get any work done. Rookie error.  I’ve replayed this video approximately two thousand times, so here it is for your viewing pleasure – you’re welcome.

Read: Things That Only Tom Hardy Can Make Sexy

2016 A Model Recommends: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers will usually be affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Kate B
    March 12, 2017 / 8:19 am

I have also replayed the video too much!!! The little girl getting pulled out lying on the ground is what gets me!!

2. Cath
    March 12, 2017 / 8:23 am

Captain Correlli’s Mandolin – yes! I was on a train when I read Carlo’s scene for the first time and must have startled those around me with my meltdown.

3. March 12, 2017 / 9:31 am

Ha ha, That Video ruth…. So funny. the best bit is when she has dragged them out then crawls on the flaw to shut the door!! So flipping funny!

Leanne

4. Donna
    March 12, 2017 / 10:30 am

Hi Ruth – congratulations again on baby Ted, he looks so adorable :-) I look forward to your Sunday Tittle Tattle each week and I love when you do book recommendations (especially when you do a whole post on them!) :-) Anyway I just wanted to say I am currently reading The Pillars of The Earth based on your recommendation from waaaay back and it’s absolutely AMAZING!! I am really enjoying it and I genuinely look forward to reading it at any opportunity I get. When I originally read your post on it which was great and you did really sell it to me – I was apprehensive to start it as it’s not normally something I would pick up and it’s quite the tome! I was afraid of abandoning it a couple of chapters in as I hate not finishing a book – however I am delighted I started reading it as I’m totally addicted to it. Apologies for the novel length comment but I just wanted to say thank you for a really great recommendation :-) xx

5. denise Barnatt
    March 12, 2017 / 11:36 am

Oh Ruth that video is hilarious – my husband showed it to me but I couldn’t have the sound up. I particularly loved the way his wife crawls in so as not to be ‘noticed’!

6. March 12, 2017 / 12:24 pm

The Trish McEvoy Beauty Balm sounds right up my street, but (as always wit BB/CC creams and tinted moisturizers) I believe the lightest shade will be too dark for me indeed! Love the BBC video as well :)

7. Virginia Villalobos
    March 12, 2017 / 12:41 pm

I, too, had a wonderful moment (several actually) of belly laughs and rewinds to watch it again. Poor man….you know what they say about the best laid plans. My favorite moment was when the poor mother comes sliding around the corner crouched down, thinking she won’t be seen by the camera!

8. March 12, 2017 / 12:48 pm

The book sounds really good, I must check it out. That video cracks me up as well, definitely one of the highlights of my weekend haha! xx

9. Natasha
    March 12, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Ah I wish I could read caprin corelli’s mandolin again for the first time, lI’ve that book

• March 14, 2017 / 6:07 am

Oooh! I’m reading Notwithstanding (?) at the mo, I’ll add to list! x

10. Dee B
    March 12, 2017 / 3:19 pm

Only noticed on my forty billionth replay that just before the little girl gets dragged off stage she appears to be taking the lid off a big red marker – we’ll never get to know the fun she could have unleashed with that!

11. Maggie Kiely
    March 12, 2017 / 5:04 pm

I will definitely look up this book now. Please could you say if you have read Barkskins as you had a picture of it on your post about ‘Eileen’ It is on the Bailey’s Longlist and I dont know whether to buy it or not. Just wondering what you thought about it Thank you

• March 14, 2017 / 6:06 am

It was too heavy-going for me, at this particular time in my life. I was so surprised – love Annie Proulx but this was like wading through treacle.

12. March 12, 2017 / 8:46 pm

That video is hilarious, and one of the many reasons I would never want to work from home.

13. McKirsty
    March 12, 2017 / 8:53 pm

What I would give to be able to read Capn Corelli for the first time again! Glad you enjoyed it. Currently reading Anthony’s Doerr’s back catalogue after finishing his ‘All the light you cannot see’ – haven’t finished it yet but ‘About Grace’ has really got me looking forward to bedtime xox

14. Jessica
    March 13, 2017 / 9:09 pm

It’s the poor mother desperately trying to drag the kids back out of the room whilst hiding/not standing up properly that gets me the most. Has me cackling.

15. Mai
    March 14, 2017 / 12:09 am

Ruth, where are your glasses from please? I have been looking for months for a similar pair. And I adore your style in general!

• March 14, 2017 / 6:03 am