New: Victoria Beckham Bronzer in Saffron Sun

Victoria Beckham Bronzer in Saffron Sun

When Victoria Beckham launched her eponymous makeup collection with Estee Lauder last year, the bronzer – in its ribbed leather compact – was one of my top picks. But boy was it a bronzey bronzer. Java was (is), for someone of my particular colouring, a proper “two weeks in the Maldives” sort of bronzer rather than one of those easy-to-wear brush-on-sunshine sort of bronzers.

Read: Victoria Beckham x Estee Lauder Makeup Collection Review

Don’t get me wrong; Java looks gorgeous. It gives great shape to my face and makes me look very polished and pulled-together and, with a slick of red lipstick, a bit like I’m one of the girls from a Robert Palmer video, but it requires care during application. It’s dark, and it’s warm in tone, so it’s easy to go overboard.

Victoria Beckham Bronzer in Saffron Sun

The new release, Saffron Sun, brings a more foolproof bronzer offering to the table. Loads lighter and slightly less warm in tone, you can bung this on willy-nilly and it will still look pretty natural, giving a healthy glow to the skin and a touch of uncontrived contour where needed. It’s so foolproof, in fact, that when I applied five layers of it to half of my face (don’t ask, my dog was doing my makeup!) it still didn’t look half bad.

Victoria Beckham Bronzer in Saffron Sun

The finish is on the velvety-matte side rather than anything shimmery or glittery, which makes this a good all-season bronzer rather than one of those spangly ones you can only wear after you’ve had a week in Ibiza. I’m not into the whole contouring trend, but – as I mention above – this gives a good uncontrived contour beneath the cheekbones, if it’s shaping that you’re after, and it looks equally as good taken across the top of the cheekbones and bridge of the nose, in that more innocent, au naturel, sunkissed kind of way.

Victoria Beckham Bronzer in Saffron Sun

So, if you’re in the market for a good-looking compact that you’ll get a lot of use from then this could be the one to seek out. Heavy in the hand, gorgeous gold detailing and that sexy ribbed leather covering to the case – it’s a proper treat. It looks as though it’s sold out already on the Estee Lauder website, but it’s at Net-a-Porter here and Selfridges here for£48.

2016 A Model Recommends: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. Outward links to retailers will usually be affiliate links. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. Amalia
    March 14, 2017 / 9:27 am

I think Robert Palmer’s ‘Addicted to Love’ girls wrote history! Azzedine Alaïa’s see thru black dresses, slicked back hair, white powdered faces with black smokey eyes and bright red lipstick.

• Rebecca
      March 14, 2017 / 11:58 am

They are the only reason I watched those videos. I was mesmerized by that look.

• Abigail
      March 14, 2017 / 2:20 pm

I remember it well Amalia! Us eighties girls used to do that look all the time, we actually did do a sort of contouring back then but we used blusher to get that cut cheekbone look and we’d brush pale eyeshadow above and below the blusher crease to emphasise it even more, including right across the jaw bone. Red lips, eyes with black and dark purple eyeshadow and fuchsia or red blush cheeks all done to the max, the rest of the face had to be as pale as possible. We’d also use a ton of powder first, smother it all over the face and dust off the excess with a big brush, an early form of baking perhaps…Then a good squirt of Poison, Giorgio, Ysatis or Opium and we were ready to party.

• Martha
        March 15, 2017 / 7:08 pm

I loved the look too, but always got distracted by their strange looking tights.

2. March 14, 2017 / 11:09 am

As a huge bronzer girl, I really wanted to try Java, but realistically, it just couldn’t match my pale skin! I’m really glad Saffron Sun is a lot more wearable and I believe I’ll treat myself to it! Thank you for the recommendation!

3. March 14, 2017 / 11:28 am

I am still fairhful to my The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzer, but the compact sure does look lovely.

4. Lisa
    March 14, 2017 / 12:07 pm

I prefer your pictures with a brighter background and natural light. (Like the old wallpaper days) I love you but I’m not a fan of the gloomy background and studio light. It doesn’t make me want try anything. I don’t mean to sound rude, just my thoughts.

• March 14, 2017 / 3:26 pm

This is the first time I’ve used a studio light in years! But I’m with you on the grey – I’m working on it, I want to change to white. When I had the wallpaper that was usually with lights though.. x

5. bella
    March 14, 2017 / 6:07 pm

Love this bronzer on you! Gorgeous as usual! As much as I wanted to do the Robert Palmer look . I never could master it! I did however love Ysatis-not a Giorgio or Poison fan at all!

6. March 15, 2017 / 11:53 am

Homm…. it’s look real sexy! :)
    I gonna try this bronzer.

7. Melissa
    March 15, 2017 / 2:43 pm

D&G The Bronzer, Charlotte Tilbury Bronze and Glow, and NYX Bronzer (do you have NYX in England?) are favorites of mine.
    Lately I have been using Bare Escentuals/Bare Minerals Serum Bronzer. It’s a liquid, so it blends really well. There isn’t a hint of orange. I like it for light makeup days when I just use some concealer and lip balm. Very natural and glowy but matte.

8. Martha
    March 15, 2017 / 7:11 pm

On a complete different note, saw Colab for the first time in German chemists chain store “DM” this morning. Could not resist to take “paradise” home.

9. March 18, 2017 / 9:55 am

Is this compact refillable? So beUtiful you’d want to keep going…

10. March 19, 2017 / 8:17 am

Bronzer Looks fab but it is expensive isn’t it! I use either Too faced Milk Chocolate bronzer or the Bobbi Brown Pink Truffle blush…

Leanne