LA Vibes with AND/OR Denim | AD

and/or denim at john lewis

I haven’t done any proper fashion modelling in ages (being heavily pregnant means you can only model tent-like garments and the postpartum period is, quite frankly, a sartorial disaster**) and so it was a delight to get back into the swing of things with a shoot for the newly-launched denim brand AND/OR.

John Lewis AND/OR Denim

AND/OR has a very cool, LA-inspired aesthetic that makes you think of sunny, palm-lined boulevards and those effortlessly stylish girls you see milling about wearing jersey t-shirts and denim but looking a million dollars. Which is totally my sort of vibe. (See above – denim shorts thrown on with a chunky-knit jumper and sexy little ankle boots. Very Coachella-after-Sundown.)

John Lewis AND/OR Denim

They use authentic denim that’s cut, washed and sewn in LA and all of the pieces are inspired by that relaxed, outdoorsy sort of lifestyle that can only be enjoyed if you don’t live in Britain with its 362 days of rainfall per year.

There are four key jeans styles at the heart of the collection; the Abbot Kinney Skinny, the Venice Beach Boyfriend, the Silver Lake Straight and the style I’m wearing below, the Avalon Ankle Grazer.

and/or denim at john lewis

Now look, I’ll admit that I am a jeans person in a big way. I have come to realise that – no matter how many times I try to overhaul my look, or push myself out of my fashion comfort zone – jeans are always going to be my wardrobe staple. Whether I’m wearing them with ballet flats and French Girl Hair (left to dry naturally, bit tousled, minimal styling – it’s a “thing”, apparently, which is great as I’ve been doing nothing to my hair all of my life and now finally I’m on-trend) or vamping them up with potentially life-threatening heels for an evening out, jeans are my uniform. The starting point for nearly every outfit.

and/or denim at john lewis

One of my favourite ways of “making an effort” for the evening (note the sarcastic inverted commas!) is to simply throw on high heels with my daytime outfit. I swap ballet flats for heels, let my hair out from its top-knot and put some lipstick or lipgloss on. As modelled by Yours Truly, above, with the Avalon Ankle Grazers, a gorgeously soft charcoal Pigment Washed Top and some striking heels for dramatic effect.

and/or denim at john lewis

(These are the Bandra Embellished Courts, which have very cool tassels at the back.) I have to say that the Avalon jeans are so soft and stretchy, really incredibly comfortable – as are the Abbot Kinney Skinny. Stretchy but with a good, structured fit that holds you in and gives you good shape. (Which is what makes all the difference between premium denim and that very cheap “jegging” style fabric, the stuff that makes you look as though your flesh has been pushed into a stonewashed denim sausage skin!)

and/or denim at john lewis

Oh and here’s what I think will most definitely be my summer uniform this year – the AND/OR Shirt Dress, which has to be the ultimate throw-it-on piece. It’s simple, comfortable, but effortlessly chic and has that laid-back kind of feel that can be made more glamorous with a big pair of sunglasses or kept low-key and beachy with some flat sandals.

John Lewis AND/OR Denim

Look at the tassels on the amazing Levina sandals! I’m a total tassel convert after doing this shoot. And I love the cut of the shirt dress – I think it’s actually quite sexy, in an obscure sort of way. It reminds me of those gorgeous magazine shots when women wear oversized men’s shirts and their hair is all bed-head and tousled.

and/or denim at john lewis

And that’s the beauty of the AND/OR collection – it’s all very undone and casual, but it’s so easy to make things look sultry or chic or a little bit edgy in that quintessential LA way. Jeans are really well-priced with the skinnies starting at £85 (they do quite a few different colours and washes) and accessories and tops start at £25 for a soft, flattering t-shirt. You can browse the whole range at John Lewis here.

*This post has been sponsored by John Lewis

**I talk about my postpartum body as though it’s a distant memory – it’s not. You’ve never seen anyone have to breathe in so much in your life – I almost turned blue at one point. And my boobs. The boobs! I had to strap them down with industrial strength gaffa tape. I wrote a post about postpartum modelling here.

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. March 28, 2017 / 2:28 pm

How come you already look way better than I ever will, so short after having had a baby? Someone pass me the tape please!

2. March 28, 2017 / 2:45 pm

Well regardless of pass out for lack of oxygen, I’m impressed! No way I’d have fit into those jeans only two months post partum! You look great as always Ruth and I love that sweater and the jeans and heels. I love jeans too, but have yet to find “the one” when it comes to brand and fit. Talk about a Holy Grail.

3. Anja
    March 28, 2017 / 2:46 pm

You look gorgeous despite the gaffa taping Also denim sausage skin??? That got me in fits of laughter!! (Thanks for cheering up my poor feverish self) Anyway the outfits look really good, very stylish and comfy all at once. And those tussled shoes! I’ve never been one for tassels, but this got me thinking!

4. Susan
    March 28, 2017 / 3:43 pm

You look amazing. I so enjoy reading your posts.

5. Catherine
    March 28, 2017 / 3:56 pm

I love lines like this that make choosing something chic so easy! Also, AMR Post Partem Gaffa Tape could totally be a thing.

6. Emma
    March 28, 2017 / 6:22 pm

I have just ordered the denim dress and signed myself up to the emailing list for several out of stock items! I have been on the John Lewis website in the last few days and did not even think to click on the massive promotional display they have of this brand! Thank you for introducing me to this and to Hush, a proper ‘staple’ brand for me now.

• March 28, 2017 / 11:41 pm

The dress is a dream! I’ve just been on there and spotted a jacket I want now! x

7. Mary
    March 28, 2017 / 7:36 pm

Wow Ruth you look great! Ive just purchased the ankle grazer jeans I hope I look as good in them as you do! I really enjoy posts like this its inspiring :) love to the amr fam xx

• March 28, 2017 / 11:41 pm

Thanks Mary, hope you love them! x

8. Alex
    March 29, 2017 / 8:08 am

You look gorgeous, Ruth! Love the denim dress and super-soft ankle grazers. The chunky knit’s my favourite though. Is that part of the range, or one of your own? X

• March 29, 2017 / 8:36 pm

It’s from the range! I think there are some things coming soon, some out now! x

9. Sandie
    March 29, 2017 / 8:20 am

Looking fabulous Ruth!! I’m definitely going to check out this brand before it sells out!

10. Chantal Lavoie
    March 29, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Oh wow, these photos are so beautiful! You give off such a lovely atmosphere, I don’t know how else to put that. Love this post! Thanks for sharing with all of us!

11. Tian
    March 29, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Your legs are fabulous. You are amazing blogger and an inspiration!

12. Jan
    March 29, 2017 / 10:12 pm

Goodness Ruth the first photograph is amazing, you look like one of those beautifully fresh faced young women from the 1970s sort of flower power and innocence, sorry for my inelegance with words but I find it quite a moving photograph, I am sort of lost for words.

13. Tatiana
    March 30, 2017 / 9:39 pm

You look gorgeous. I want some of these clothes, but can only imagine the shipping and import duty that would be tacked on. That sweater/jumper is exactly what I’ve been looking for these past couple of seasons.
    I cannot believe you’ve just had a second baby. Must admit I’m a tad bit jealous of how great you look. You are an inspiration!

14. emma
    March 31, 2017 / 6:57 pm

I have just bought a gorgeous burnt orange bag from this range that I never would have found without the tip off. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I am in love!

15. April 1, 2017 / 4:19 am

Gorgeous pic of a gorgeous lady, wife, mom to humans, cats, and dogs, and beauty expert and enthusiast. Thanks Ruth! God Bless

16. April 5, 2017 / 4:22 am

I want that decorative pineapple! Where is it from? I just love pineapples!

17. Mary
    April 27, 2017 / 10:17 am

Hi Ruth, Ive had my ankle grazer jeans for a few weeks now, and i can categorically say they are the most comfy jeans, the denim sorts of gives a bit and holds you in at the same time! I ordered a 28 as I’m a size 10 and they fitted perfectly, plus the wash and colour look slightly edgy which i also like, They are a bit more expensive than my usual jeans, but I literally live in them so totally worth it, Thanks so much for the reccomendation, I will be investing in another pair xx

• April 27, 2017 / 12:22 pm

Great to know! I love mine too. xx