Soothing Stuff for Sensitive Eyes

skincare for sensitive eyes

Mine eyes! They feel as though they’ve been replaced with shrivelled up conkers – the inside of my lids are like pieces of sandpaper. It’s all so dry in the orbital region that it’s amazing I don’t start little fires in my eye sockets when I blink.

It must be the pollen, though I don’t usually get hayfever so that’s odd. It probably doesn’t help that I’m up all through the night, tending to the baby, and that my “entertainment” of choice is scrolling through ASOS (or Rightmove) on my iPhone. There’s nothing more wearing on the eyeballs than hours of relentless, fruitless window shopping. (Does anyone else get motion sickness if they scroll too fast?)

So yes, my eyes are tired and sensitive and I’m trying to treat them kindly and soothe them with lovely things. And when I take my eye makeup off, I’m really making an effort to be gentle, pressing the remover-soaked cotton pads over my eyes and waiting for fifteen, twenty seconds before taking them away, rather than rushing the process and wiping frantically, which always results in my sore undereye problem.

liz earle eyebright

Current soothing favourites, at the risk of repeating myself, because I have mentioned these a few times recently:

Eyebright Soothing Eye Lotion from Liz Earle, £13.25 here*: perfect for a morning pep-up when I feel as though I’ve just done a twenty hour stint in a Vegas casino. (Happened.) I have no idea what Eyebright is, but it does what it says on the tin, and you can’t ask for better than that. Keep one in the fridge if you can remember to actually use it; I hate it when I’m told to keep beauty stuff in the fridge, because it gets forgotten about, only to be found when I do my annual chucking-out of weird, novelty Christmas chutneys and packets of feta that have slipped behind the salad drawer. But Eyebright, when chilled, is a thing of wonder. Hangovers, hayfever, general malaise: soak two cotton pads, press them over your eyes (closed, obviously) and hold them there for a couple of minutes, or however long you can bear. (If you’re as impatient as me you’ll manage about thirty seconds.) I promise you’ll feel instantly refreshed.

Sens’Eyes from Make Up For Ever, £19.75 here*: this is great stuff. Creamy, so you wouldn’t think that it would work on stubborn makeup, but it really does. It feels far too kind to be useful, but the proof is in the pudding and this cuts through mascara like a dream. If you (like me) get raw bits under your eyes if you apply and remove makeup too frequently, then this is a good product to have in your emergency kit. It’s definitely a must-have for models.

Stubborn Makeup Remover, currently £3.95 at Superdrug here*: this isn’t actually for sensitive eyes, but it’s here by virtue of the fact that it removes makeup so quickly that you don’t have to wipe or press repeatedly with your cotton pads. Marvellous and a true bargain – especially at the current price. It’s usually £7.99, but even that is very good considering how easily this dissolves heavy makeup.

Read: More Posts on Stuff For Sensitive Eyes

© 2017 A Model Recommends®: all opinions are my own and any sponsored or paid posts will always be clearly marked as an AD in the title. I accept press samples and receive product and services to review as part of my job. *Outbound links are affiliate links, which means that I receive a very small percentage of any sale made. This does not affect my content in any way and does not cost you anything, but you are most welcome to Google the products on a new page if you prefer. Please see here for full "about" section and disclaimer. A Model Recommends and Ruth Crilly are registered trademarks.

1. April 19, 2017 / 8:27 am

My hayfever will start in June, so I will see if I can remember to get a bottle of eyebright until then. I rely on my contacts throughout the day, so hayfever season really is annoying.

2. Claire G
    April 19, 2017 / 8:34 am

Do you have a recommendation for a good spf for eye area, have yet to try one that doesn’t sting!

• gk
      April 20, 2017 / 4:30 am

In Australia, there is Mecca Cosmetica. They have a product called “to save eyes”. It is SPF30. It’s a lovely gel texture that doesn’t irritate, but the roller ball dispenser doesn’t always perform well. They may ship internationally?

3. April 19, 2017 / 8:48 am

Hello! Every sympathy – I started having eye problems with my hay fever last year for the first time, and it’s a nightmare! Things that have really worked for me are Murine eye mist which you spray on closed eyes and it’s bliss. Also Camomile tea bags over the eyes for 20 mins are great too. But Murine is a game-changer. Good luck!

4. Tal
    April 19, 2017 / 10:59 am

Hi Ruth! For dry eyes I would recommend using “artificial tears” (eye drops). The best ones are in one-use small tubes without preservatives. They are sold OTC, not sure about brand names sold in the UK. It’s the best solution!!!

5. April 19, 2017 / 11:49 am

Definitely adding the Liz Earle Eyebright Soothing Eye Lotion to my wishlist! It’s been two years now that my eyes are quite sensitive and finding skincare products which truly help that is a little bit of a nightmare, very few of them actually work! Asos is such a bright and white website and whilst I love that during the day, my eyes hate looking at it in the evening or during the night!

6. Lucy
    April 19, 2017 / 12:37 pm

Sounds like you need a dose of artificial tears! PM you should use a viscous ointment to really lubricate through your sleep (or lack of!) And a nice watery tear replacement throughout the day! The newest and most gentle on the market right now are Hyabak or Theoloz (both preserve free) :) but there are heaps available.

7. Martha
    April 19, 2017 / 1:38 pm

Definitely need to look into trying these – my eyes get really sore if I’m not careful with my makeup removal.

On another note: Do you have any experience with the haircare brand Nioxin? Read a post about them on another beauty blogger’s website, and according to her they claim that the best thing for your hair is to wash it every day. That sounds to me like the complete opposite from anything I’ve ever heard before, but she says her hair has been fuller and less greasy since using their shampoo and conditioner. So I’m intrigued, but still slightly sceptical. Maybe you would like to look into the brand and do a post on it if it’s legit?

8. Amanda
    April 19, 2017 / 7:07 pm

I started with hay fever last year – never had it before! I was in London walking through Hyde Park and my eyes were so irritated and watering constantly. It started in April and it is caused by tree pollen. I had forgotten this year and was out with the dog one morning wondering why my eyes were so sore. Anyway, I have stated taking my daily antihistamine again and I’m fine. I just have to remember to take it early enough.

9. Ruth Linton
    April 19, 2017 / 7:32 pm

Eyebright is a plant, it’s in the Euphrasia genus – it’s very pretty, google it! It is actually used as a herbal remedy for eye problems – things like conjunctivitis, eyestrain etc, hence the name.

If my eyes are sore (which to be fair doesn’t happen that often, I’m lucky) I wet a tea bag with cold water and press those on my closed eyes for a few minutes. Not sure if it’s the tea bags, or just having my eyes closed for a bit, but it seems to help!

10. April 20, 2017 / 12:25 am

I have THE most sensitive eyes/ skin around my eyes! One thing that has helped me a lot is using coconut oil as a makeup remover! It’s so gentle and effective!
    Thanks for sharing!
    XX -KK
    #ObsessedWithEverything

11. Jazzsamba
    April 20, 2017 / 7:08 am

Yes, ASOS particularly gives me motion sickness!!

12. AnnieA
    April 21, 2017 / 2:10 am

Also, if it’s a case of chronic dry eye try taking Omega 3 supplements.

13. Tatiana
    April 21, 2017 / 10:15 pm

I never had hay fever until after I had my daughter. Now it happens every spring and ramps up until it’s the worst the first two weeks of May. Need to see if I can find the Liz Earle Eyebright here in the states.